Missing ship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghostrider42

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Ozimo IV
Vessel Make
18m Gulet
ELEUTHERA, Bahamas (AP) — Hurricane Joaquin ripped off roofs, uprooted trees and unleashed heavy flooding as it hurled torrents of rain across the eastern and central Bahamas on Friday, and the U.S. Coast Guard said it was searching for a cargo ship with 33 people aboard that went missing during the Category 4 storm.

The Coast Guard said the 735-foot (224-meter) ship named El Faro had taken on water and was listing at 15 degrees near Crooked Island, one of the islands most battered by the hurricane.

Officials said they hadn't been able to re-establish communication with the vehicle carrying vessel, which was traveling from Jacksonville, Florida, to San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Coast Guard said the crew earlier reported it had been able to contain the flooding. No further details were available.

In the Bermuda Triangle? Best of luck for the crew.

heard that the CG couldn't get to the search area due to the storm, Anyone know if that's changed?

Praying for a good outcome.

US mariners are some of the best trained in the world, you can bet they're fighting like hell to keep the ship floating!

Saw that on gCaptain earlier today. Just saw an update there that they suspended the search for the night at around 8 M local time. No contact with the ship.

I sure hope they're okay. We've been bitching about the 8' seas and 35 knot winds we've been having. I can't imagine what it must be like where they are. It must be hellish.

Just heard an update where two C130's and a chopper are now in the hunt. The CG spokesman indicated that there was NO electronic communications with the vessel. That makes me wonder about all the EPIRBs and PLB's that surely were on board. Hopefully he did not mean those.

Would have thought the ship would have an AIS transmitter, unless they've lost all power (not just propulsion).

-Chris

AIS would go with the ship if it sank. You would think the EPIRBs and/or PLB would not. The lifeboats should have also been equipped with EPIRB. But yes, I would hope they still have the AIS operating. News people never ask the right questions in marine incidents.

Strange, they left JAX Tuesday seems they sailed right into it. If I remember right it was predicted to stay in that area most of the week.
33 people on board isn't that more than would crew such a vessel?
Ps. El Faro means The Lighthouse in Spanish, looks like that's not working out.
I hope they are ok!

What everyone seems to be ignoring is that she left Jax and sailed through a TS on a 24 hr run. She lost her plant then the storm blew up. They didn't leave while a cat 4 storm was off the coast.

What everyone seems to be ignoring is that she left Jax and sailed through a TS on a 24 hr run. She lost her plant then the storm blew up. They didn't leave while a cat 4 storm was off the coast.

No, they did not leave when it was a cat 4, but it did blow up before they reached it. They had the option to divert but did not.

Ship should have been able to handle it, but that is an old ship.

She may have just lost some containers, but I doubt it. They should have found her by now.

In the 1960's a Navy patrol aircraft could spot a periscope at 100+ miles.

If they cant find it with 50 year newer radar , even the lifeboats , sadly she is gone.

Lost ship

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3259528/Empty-life-rings-spotted-Bermuda-Triangle-cargo-ship-carrying-33-people-missing-angry-families-hit-captain-s-decision-sail-straight-Hurricane-Joaquin.html

One lifeboat found, damaged and empty. One body found.

Apparently this ship did not have the self launching lifeboats, the boats had to be lowered away.

From the article I read, the empty lifeboat was very damaged when located

The one on the windward side would be impossible to launch in high winds. The one on the lee, maybe, but the seas and roll would be snatching on the lines.

Really highlights the benefits of the free fall lifeboats.

Not good.

Update from USCG:
https://www.dvidshub.net/video/426665/el-faro-press-conference#.VhLbW25Ryq1

From MarineTraffic.com:
EL FARO - Ro-Ro Cargo: current position and details | IMO 7395351, MMSI 368208000, Callsign WFJK | Registered in USA - AIS Marine Traffic

The lifeboats in the photo are not the free fall type.
http://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais/showphoto.aspx?photoid=734310

showphoto.aspx

Last edited:
With it listing and no power, it was broadside to the winds. One freak wave is all it takes in those conditions sadly.

I've been trying to imagine what these folks must have gone through, and I just can't. You spend so much time on a ship like that, as much time as you do at home, if not more. You get to know it, you get comfortable. The ship becomes this constant in your life. The sound of the engines thrumming along. The way the radar drops it's heading, and you have to tap the mode button twice before it'll pick up a target. That damned door that always slams when you're trying to sleep. The ever present smell of fuel, bad coffee, paint, steam and steel. This ship is permanent. It's always been here, and it always will be. This ship will keep me safe.

Then you find yourself in a situation like this, and the whole world goes wrong. This massive, monolithic thing, this place that you've called home for months and years, is breaking up beneath your feet. People are going to get hurt. People could die. Right now. Today. What a gut wrenching, heart breaking feeling that must be.

I really hope they find some people.

I've been trying to imagine what these folks must have gone through, and I just can't. You spend so much time on a ship like that, as much time as you do at home, if not more. You get to know it, you get comfortable. The ship becomes this constant in your life. The sound of the engines thrumming along. The way the radar drops it's heading, and you have to tap the mode button twice before it'll pick up a target. That damned door that always slams when you're trying to sleep. The ever present smell of fuel, bad coffee, paint, steam and steel. This ship is permanent. It's always been here, and it always will be. This ship will keep me safe.

Then you find yourself in a situation like this, and the whole world goes wrong. This massive, monolithic thing, this place that you've called home for months and years, is breaking up beneath your feet. People are going to get hurt. People could die. Right now. Today. What a gut wrenching, heart breaking feeling that must be.

I really hope they find some people.

I totally get what you are writing here. Thanks. This is something that a non-seagoing journalist can fathom or will likely write.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom