A Good Day Aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can try and live forever but it's better to live and enjoy today rather than sitting in a rocking chair and living 20 years more and watching people enjoying their life in the years you were too busy cutting out vices.

Thanks for the inspiration! I've been lurking here for awhile and up until last week was waiting for the "right time"....my wife and I decided that the "right time" may never come along, so, long story short.....We're selling a couple of assets and as of April 24th,this year, once the funds hit the bank, the "right time" is "RIGHT NOW"!.. Thank you for helping us know we've made the right decision!

Thanks for the inspiration! I've been lurking here for awhile and up until last week was waiting for the "right time"....my wife and I decided that the "right time" may never come along, so, long story short.....We're selling a couple of assets and as of April 24th,this year, once the funds hit the bank, the "right time" is "RIGHT NOW"!.. Thank you for helping us know we've made the right decision!

Good on you!

I've helped people search for the right boat after they have retired only to see that after they get it and fix it up they have to give up their dream because they waited to long and can't physically live out their dream. In some cases it's due to health issues that come up and keep them tied to shore for medical services.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 18 and off the coast of Vietnam, launching A-6 off the pointy end an hoping that not only the crew and plane would return to the Connie.....but that I'd wake up tomorrow morning to do it all over again. Lost a lot of aircrew and many crewmembers during that time and on the way home many months later, I told myself, I hope I make it to enjoy a long life.

18 years later, found myself in the midst of Desert Storm and thought, I hope this one isn't as bad as Vietnam. Considering all the conflicts in between Vietnam and the Sandbox, I guess I was lucky, the same couldn't be said for many that didn't come home. I may not remember their names, but I remember their faces and the dreams they had. It's a shame this one has lasted as long as it has, cuz it's my Grandkids that may end up in this one.

I just closed on the sale of my business and now 60, hope to move forward with the Admiral and escape to a little cove for a day or so wherever that cove is, and be grateful that we can. I've paid attention to all those that have influenced me over the years, most of them very positive. Most of them waited too long to retire and enjoy the remaining years.

I also have been fortunate to have Jeff Merrill as not only a friend, but he gets it and his patience has helped us to find the "right boat". Sorry it's taken this long Jeff.

Yep, I move a lot slower, don't see as well at night and can't hear like I use to. I take more breaks now and maybe enjoy that cocktail and a cigar a little more when we are sitting on the fly bridge watching the world turn, but we paid our dues and it's now " our time"!

Your time is when you pull the plug and decide to make the change. I wish you all the best and when you sit back and reflect on your life....I hope you can say....

"It's now our time" , now I hope I live long enough to see it through.

John & Tracey

I was 18 and off the coast of Vietnam, launching A-6 off the pointy end an hoping that not only the crew and plane would return to the Connie.....but that I'd wake up tomorrow morning to do it all over again. Lost a lot of aircrew and many crewmembers during that time and on the way home many months later, I told myself, I hope I make it to enjoy a long life.

18 years later, found myself in the midst of Desert Storm and thought, I hope this one isn't as bad as Vietnam. Considering all the conflicts in between Vietnam and the Sandbox, I guess I was lucky, the same couldn't be said for many that didn't come home. I may not remember their names, but I remember their faces and the dreams they had. It's a shame this one has lasted as long as it has, cuz it's my Grandkids that may end up in this one.

I just closed on the sale of my business and now 60, hope to move forward with the Admiral and escape to a little cove for a day or so wherever that cove is, and be grateful that we can. I've paid attention to all those that have influenced me over the years, most of them very positive. Most of them waited too long to retire and enjoy the remaining years.

I also have been fortunate to have Jeff Merrill as not only a friend, but he gets it and his patience has helped us to find the "right boat". Sorry it's taken this long Jeff.

Yep, I move a lot slower, don't see as well at night and can't hear like I use to. I take more breaks now and maybe enjoy that cocktail and a cigar a little more when we are sitting on the fly bridge watching the world turn, but we paid our dues and it's now " our time"!

Your time is when you pull the plug and decide to make the change. I wish you all the best and when you sit back and reflect on your life....I hope you can say....

"It's now our time" , now I hope I live long enough to see it through.

John & Tracey

Great post, John! Thanks for putting it up for all to see and glad that you've reached this point to where you can enjoy the enjoy the life you've dreamed of. We're all very blessed to be able to chase our own dreams.

FW

Thanks so much for reposting this and John thank you so much for posting and your service to our country

FW yes we are so very blessed to be able to chase our dreams and I try so hard not to take it for granted.

Last edited by a moderator:
A long lasting post

Its hard for me to believe that I made this post over 1 1/2 years ago and it continues to invite others who share similar stories. We have not posted here lately since changing courses a few times after selling N3522. We came close to building a mid-size semi-custom boat but instead opted for a small second home in San Diego and giving that a try. It didn't take more than a month of walking from the house to the water and realizing how much we miss being on the water. After a year of long walks along the waters edge we decided again that life is too short not to be ON the water so here we go again...

The beach house went up for sale two weeks ago and we find ourselves planning the next boat. A few things have changed for us as I look forward to retirement in 5 years (hope I make it) and realize that the 401K needs a little more attention so we will be working with a smaller boat budget which actually sounds less stressful. The next boat will be simpler (like the N35) but of the highest quality and value we can find providing for an interesting search. We prefer new over used which makes the search that more difficult. Another aspect of the next boat is that it needs to be small enough to truck from SD to Texas so we can do the Intercoastal up to the Northeast in the future. We have no desire to cross an ocean or spend many nights cruising. Just want to be aboard and enjoy the coast line.

In case anyone was wondering we are still in touch Jeff Merrill who is helping us along (again).

John T.
N4050, N4061, N3522

John, as you know perhaps better than anyone, it's entirely possible to change boats. Rather than one boat that can cruise the west coast, east coast, and be truckable between the two, consider buying a boat on teh east coast, cruising there until you are ready for a change, then sell it and get a boat on the west coast. No boat serves all purposes, so perhaps optimize for whatever adventure is next?

I read this thread a year ago and it, among other things, helped me decide it was time to retire, get the boat and live another life for awhile while we (the wife & I) are still young enough. We're 57 and still pretty active, the boat is 38 years old and needs work but I love doing that sort of thing and now have time for it. I have already lost 15 pounds and am feeling fine so it's working out so far.

Kevin

how is new boat?

I read this thread a year ago and it, among other things, helped me decide it was time to retire, get the boat and live another life for awhile while we (the wife & I) are still young enough. We're 57 and still pretty active, the boat is 38 years old and needs work but I love doing that sort of thing and now have time for it. I have already lost 15 pounds and am feeling fine so it's working out so far.

Kevin

Kevin, how are you enjoying the boat and the restoration project?

So far I've spent quite a bit of time and bucks getting both engines running fine and sorting out systems like electrical, fuel and cooling but it's coming along. We've had the boat out for bottom job, props and some thru hulls but the hull had no blisters and was in good shape. Lot's more to do to get it ready for "The Loop" but we have taken the boat out a few times and had friends out on the boat including a dock party, so there is fun as well as work going on. What is life all about but that?

Kevin

Crusty Chief; I was there with you on Connie. Not "on" her, but behind you. First on a "heavy" cruiser, then on a can, covering your six. 66-67, then again 74-75. My wife says I look back on those times as "the good ole days." BTW I stated on another posting I was 70% DAV. Just got raised another 10% to 80. Sounds like you went over 19-6.? Congrats.

One Step Closure

Its been one month since we closed on the house and getting closer to narrowing the field of next boat. While we took a very hard look at Nordhavn including used boats up to 50' we reconfirmed we want a new build in the 35-40' range and a semi-displacement type hull. The boat and builder needs to be of highest quality and best value (what a concept?). We will stay away from a fully custom build due to the value proposition not equaling up for us. Biggest issue now is balancing my desire for simplicity and Mary's demand for comfort. Life is never easy so why should selecting a boat? if all goes well we should make our decision within the next few weeks and post here for anyone interested in following our decision process.

John T. N4050, N4061, N3522 - Former Owners

What Matters Most - Happy Thanksgiving

Looking back at this original post and thinking about where we are today it is worth mentioning that for us, having our health is what really matters not the type of size of the boat. If one is really fortunate having your health and the ability to spend time on the water (regardless of the type of boat) equals the best of both worlds. For this Thanksgiving we count our blessings for Maria to be healthy enough to get back on the water. The new boat is only icing on the cake.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

John T.

Oh my, I wish you well and I appreciate your post. (Sure is helping get me off my do-loop of thoughts....)

Hello all, its great to see this thread still listed and the occasional posts. Looking back at what we wrote just a few years ago confirms just how fast time flys and how much less time we all have. I just posted a short summary of my day trip to the Seattle Boat Show under our thread about the new boat build (Manufactures / Custom Builds & Retro-fits / Contract Signed) which some may find interested. The real "take away" for me was realizing (again) why we love boating. For us its just the "State of Mind" we get when our feet leave the dock and step aboard the boat. It's like stepping into a different world which allows us to leave all our worries and troubles behind. The people you meet in and around boats are usually up-beat and nice (hopefully feeling a similar state of mind) and always willing to lend a hand. We cannot wait for the boat to deliver in May.

John

First post here; but have read many threads over the last couple of weeks. I decided to make my first post here rather than the thread that's dedicated to telling people who you are/what you play aboard, etc., because for me this thread is the guts why one would want to own a boat. And owning and sailing/driving one now. Tomorrow definitely is not promised us, and I have lived all of my life so far knowing this is true. Thanks so much to the OP.

"Time flies? One cannot; they fly too fast!" Thanks to everyone here.

I really liked the quote that BallardPilot added to this thread. Very apropos as I found last night a friend died, way before his time. Created this for all of us.

Attachments

• you_are_never_ready_1200.jpg
    you_are_never_ready_1200.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 204
Thanks for dredging up this thread. Some time ago I made the decision to "go for it" and take a very early retirement. As the final day approaches (3 more weeks!) I've been watching for quotes that might make this financially foolhardy decision a little less scary.

I'll admit to some Nordhaven dreams, too, but short of a lottery win (and I don't play) that ain't gonna happen. Still, I think we can all take something away from the sentiments expressed here.

Here's the latest addition to the wall in my office:

A ship in harbor is safe.
But that is not what ships are built for.
- John A. Shedd

Retirement

Thanks for dredging up this thread. Some time ago I made the decision to "go for it" and take a very early retirement. As the final day approaches (3 more weeks!) I've been watching for quotes that might make this financially foolhardy decision a little less scary.

I'll admit to some Nordhaven dreams, too, but short of a lottery win (and I don't play) that ain't gonna happen. Still, I think we can all take something away from the sentiments expressed here.

Here's the latest addition to the wall in my office:

A ship in harbor is safe.
But that is not what ships are built for.
- John A. Shedd

Excellent post, thank you for sharing with everyone on TF. You are were we wish to be "able to retire" and made the decision to enjoy life aboard a boat. You didn't wait any longer, you have begun the best of dreaming - the journey. Best of luck and enjoy life.

Possibly someday in the future we will see you on the water :)

John T.
N4050, N4061, N3522 - former owner
Helmsman 38E - Under construction

Great post and it has been over two years. Is there an update on John?

Fortunately, can't say I've had a bad day aboard the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom