Old 10-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #81
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
When I started a thread a week or so ago asking how you all prep, this is exactly what I was wondering about. I say it is fascinating but I don't think lightly of your concerns and safety. Take care.

Given some respite, now... thought it might be useful to note some other details that have been active... in this case... and in our case.

Our slip isn't real wide, fixed docks, in a small-ish marina. Not too well-protected from winds out of the north.

Our usual options are to stay in the slip, haul and block, or go elsewhere.

Not easy to stay in the slip; would mean staying aboard to adjust lines, partly to account for surge, partly to keep from bouncing off the piles all night. Not my favorite idea.

Usually OK to haul and block... except... in this case, the Nor'easter we've been enjoying -- not really related to Joaquin -- means the marina guys can't tow big boats around to the lift. Complicated this particular week by one of the lift operators leaving on his honeymoon yesterday. Can't begrudge him that!

I could move the boat to the lift around myself, of course (probably), but the list was long, too many in front of us...

We have in the past successfully moved the boat to one of the more protected marinas with new concrete floating docks and really high piles. Easy, my preference usually, except in this case, sea states on the Chesapeake were -- and still are -- not at all fun. There were 6-footers at one of the buoys up toward Baltimore last night, and in any case 5's and 4's have been the normal prediction for these several days. An anomaly here is that even 3' seas here in the Chesapeake, usually with a very short wave period, will often beat a small boat like ours up. Doable, but not fun. Boats are usually better off the crew, of course, but still... not my favorite thing to deal with.

Turned out... we've done not much at all. One extra spring line (so far) only just added this morning. And that's still about the Nor'easter. Once the Joaquin track prediction firmed up, decision-making got easier.

-Chris