Drowning - What not to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent information that is particularly important to those on the water.

Good article, and I could not agree more. Thanks for posting it. May even save a life, who knows?

Just printed this one for the crew. Thanks for sharing this important information.

Howard

Very interesting stuff. This came out a while back, and I made it a discussion at a safety meeting at work. Very good stuff to know.

Great reminder...thanks for posting!!

One day I came home from work and my wife and her friend were sitting at poolside conversing while watching our 5 girls swim. All were strong swimmers. I stepped outside to say hi before changing out of my work clothes. One of the friend's daughters (about 7-8 yrs old) was exhibiting the exact same indicators...head back at the surface, mouth just above the waterline, silent as a mouse, trying to stay above water as she was drifting toward the deeper water on her tip toes. I jumped in and pushed her into the shallows as I hit the water.

The moms thought I fell in and had no idea what was happening. The other kids in the pool were making normal kid noises and were also oblivious. That was a very scary day in our home and reminded us to always try to expect the unexpected.

Sixty years ago, I ran into the shallow end of a pool with a "ring" float around the waist. Turned upside down, and took in the underwater view. My 37-year-old father-at-the-time hauled me out before I consumed water. And then there was the time my four-year-old son walked absent-mindedly into a pool, requiring me to jump in fully clothed to get him out. ... Parents, keep close attention to your children.

Watch this video to see what a drowning victim looks like. A life guard saves the child. Watch the videos and see if you can spot the kid in trouble.

https://youtu.be/L0KTqPloUiU

When looking for the previous video I found this one.

https://youtu.be/YLJqpnlF-AU

A child drowned in a county pool about five years ago. The kid did not know how to swim, there was only one lifeguard, and the pool was filled with dozens of kids....

Later,
Dan

EXCELLENT! This will be mandatory reading on our boat. I nearly drowned in my aunt's pool as a child even though there were six other siblings/cousins in the pool with me. My aunt, dressed in her Sunday finest, dove in and grabbed me just as I slid down the ramp into the deep end. I had already begun the head back, gone quiet routine. SCARY STUFF!
Later in life, I became a search and rescue diver and unfortunately recovered numerous drowning victims from the waters of the Snake River. All but a couple victims had had friends or strangers nearby when they drowned and no one knew it or didn't realize it was happening until it was too late. Most, but sadly not all, were adults. Please pay attention and be safe.

This is a good reminder but it was posted before, there is another thread with more information, Search. 8^)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom