New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Crusty's got the ticket there! Move the sawhorses into the boat and do it there! Goddam he's a smart ole' Fella! :thumb:

Checked the weather after I posted that RT but thanks. You da Man!

I have about 20' of cable trays Dimer. Also will run chase tubes for hyd steering etc. I don't like things screwed to stringers or laying on the bottom of the boat. Everything will be up and away as much as possible.

So thanks fella's appreciate it.

Probably the silliest thing you'll see on the ole' Interwebs today.

spacer.gif
img_372488_1_c8ff9335ac97e2167c5339c4c5bea98a.jpg

Some of you may have already seen this on Facebook this morning. I hit an area with the router where I spliced the two sections of stringer together and there was a lot of epoxy glue that oozed out. I got showered in schmutz!

Go ahead let me have it! I can take all your jokes! :hide:

Just a thought but a few glassed in limber holes in the upper section of the stringers may come in handy for anything you don't want to run on the roof. Engine oil changer hose, battery cables, things like that unless of course you are putting down cable trays. It's not so much for now but for those add on's down the road....

A simple way to 'glass in' the limber holes is to cut short pieces of PVC pipe the thickness of the stringer and epoxy press-fit them in place, then continue glassing. Chamfer the edges so they don't cut the cables, pipes, etc. pulled through them. That will keep out interior rot if you don't get full coverage of the limber holes with glass.

Stru

Rick,
Do you have any idea how much flotation that keel volume is compared th the rest of the hull?
As I recall you have ballast plans for the keel ....

Rick,
Do you have any idea how much flotation that keel volume is compared th the rest of the hull?
As I recall you have ballast plans for the keel ....

I have done rough calcs on that since we extended the hull. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Most of the 28' versions that have been built are all light up front. Some carrying as much as 1500 lbs in ballast. I do know off hand the PPI of immersion for the 28 footer is 995 lbs. IIRC when I did the calcs on mine it was 1225 per inch.

I have planned more tankage than most. 110 USG in fuel, 125 USG in water and 62 USG waste/grey water. There's also a 15 USG hot water heater to go in there somewhere too. I still suspect she'll be very light up front.

So far I have 460 lbs of lead. Always have my eye out for more, likely close to another 1000 lbs.

Quick update.

The Stringers are technically 'in the boat'. Not installed but definitely 'in the boat'! Yesterday was a repeat of the day before. I taped the bottom/keel join & the very back end of the box keel. Ended up with a big bubble in the most inaccessible place possible. Right at the bottom at the very back of the keel. :nonono:

spacer.gif
img_373476_1_047daf0f66427bcb27cf69af9b5dbae6.jpg

I used the electric hoist to lift them in. They're about 80 lbs each. I could have humped them up the ladder but why bother when you have the equipment to do it for you!

spacer.gif
img_373476_3_fd66219d265a9488f46a7da1b5cfae75.jpg

Grinder Time!

Standby.....

So today's tasks in the shed were fixing a bubble, aligning some stringers and setting some frame/bulkheads in place. Lot of naval gazin' went on with plenty of ponderin' too!

spacer.gif
img_374104_1_160fba50654134b956d24f289cf23cc2.jpg

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/bubb ... heads.html

Sanding day & possibly bedding the stringers (aft section) tomorrow.

Standby.....

Good update.Things will start taking shape now.You've come along way.

Good update.Things will start taking shape now.You've come along way.
Thanks Ben. I just keep pickin' away at it, one small bite at a time.

Morning briefing.

The stringers, like everything else, want to slide down the hull into the keel. With every step I take in the boat they work their way downwards and away from the transom. So this morning I lined them up again and am welding them to the bottom.

spacer.gif
img_374383_1_1bf757b4cdc117ab122eecec89542d95.jpg

Using slow hardener on a cool day so it'll be awhile before I go and put some tape on them. Once this cures up I'll be able to move around the boat without worrying about the stringers migrating to the bilge.

Standby....

Back into the shed after some family business & nasty weather got in the way. Mixed up some goop and bedded the aft section of the stringers in place. This is really hard on my hands mixing glue so I pulled the ole' Lady's hand mixer out of the kitchen and whipped up a few batches! :hide:

spacer.gif
img_375476_1_592e3789a80b515cd21d60c1688de589.jpg

After some putzin' around I managed to get the aft section of the stringers bedded, filleted and taped (just one layer before my hands gave out).

spacer.gif
img_375476_3_6695cb9d51afdc6671cc63837a445bd6.jpg

Fillets turned out pretty good this time. I used a cut up bondo squeegee.

spacer.gif
img_375476_5_1da2c9cf1ddeb3209c6d80dfaecb4ab4.jpg

A few more pics & such on the blog update today: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/10/bedd ... ngers.html

Standby....

Back into the shed after some family business & nasty weather got in the way. Mixed up some goop and bedded the aft section of the stringers in place. This is really hard on my hands mixing glue so I pulled the ole' Lady's hand mixer out of the kitchen and whipped up a few batches! :hide:

spacer.gif
img_375567_1_592e3789a80b515cd21d60c1688de589.jpg

I like it! :thumb:

Ted

Rick-
You know this is gonna cost ya one of them new upright mixers like A cuisinart that I had to buy the little misses a year or so ago. Don't ask how I know, You can guess.

Keep plugging away bud. Your doing great!

You're just string us along. :rofl:

The rumours of my early demise at the hands a an infuriated 'Kitchen Gadgetista' are over exaggerated! :rofl: I had you guys going there didn't I? That is a $1 yard sale mixer the ole' Lady picked up for me a few years ago. We've burnt out 2 or 3 so far mixing glue. See the ole' Woman and I have an arrangement. She doesn't mess with my power tools and I don't mess with her kitchen gadgets! :thumb:

But I have been down for the count for almost 3 days. Inner ear infection. Right side deaf as a post. Tinnitus and pain. On antibiotics now. Shouldn't take too long to clear that up. Managed to haul my butt out to the shed today before the winds kick up. Didn't really feel like crawling around the bottom of the boat finishing the bedding & fillets for the stringers so I decided to lay out a layer of glass on the two aft bulkheads.

spacer.gif
img_376250_1_d599be8997687ef18e84f6ec21b17582.jpg

These are just offcuts laying around and I had planned to use them for just this purpose. The two aft bulkheads being solid won't hurt from being totally enclosed in glass.

spacer.gif
img_376250_3_79f461557346958338616f32f39e9ea0.jpg

Plenty of neat epoxy rolled on and soaked up by these panels.

spacer.gif
img_376250_5_d88c7c09b5fbd6c6a7123a2282a5d007.jpg

Gooped & peel plied. They look a little dry. Dunno why. I dumped extra epoxy on there and squeegeed them well. Gotta keep my eye on them. I did lift the peel ply and the glass underneath is thoroughly soaked through. Could just be that cheap peel ply. I'll be glad when it's gone.

Tomorrow I'll flip those panels over and do the other side.

Standby.....

I used to get ear infections all the time when I was younger... I feel for ya, man.

I am dealing with an ear infection in my left ear.I always get them this time of year.Unforunately,do to the medications I am on for my health,I can't take off the top of the fridge medicines. ;)

Now about those bulkheads and stringers. :thumb: We seem to think alike on those.However,I think I would have made a mess, by trying to install the bulk heads to soon after the stringer installation,in hopes of trying to keep the stringers spaced and in place.

I am dealing with an ear infection in my left ear.I always get them this time of year.Unforunately,do to the medications I am on for my health,I can't take off the top of the fridge medicines. ;)

Ear is a bit better. I have my hearing back. Still got the ringing though. No pain now either. Been keeping myself busy (not boat work) making up targets for the pistol range.

Now about those bulkheads and stringers. :thumb: We seem to think alike on those.However,I think I would have made a mess, by trying to install the bulk heads to soon after the stringer installation,in hopes of trying to keep the stringers spaced and in place.

That's a lesson I learned the hard way. I have undone much more work than I've showed you guys on the forums or the blog! :whistling:

I used the bulkheads to help locate the position of the stringers and that's it. Once I had it tabbed in place they aren't going anywhere. Even though there's only 8' of stringer fully bedded, filleted and taped the affect it's had on the structure of the hull is amazing! No more bouncy bouncy wobbly wobbly! :thumb:

Think I'm pretty much done for the season. Too cold for fiberglassing. Time to start thinking of winter projects & definite possibility of going back to work for a few months to refill the project kitty.

Standby....

Greetings,
Mr. SK. Back to work? I thought you were retired.
Ah yes I am. Almost 3 yrs now. I can sit at home on my arse eating chicken sammiches or I can haul my arse to OtterWah 5 days a week! It's the only sure way to avoid the dreaded 'Honey Do List'! :whistling:

Last edited:
Here's a video from a builder in Turkey who has been producing the TW28 design for a few years. They also stretched the hull 2' from what I can tell the extra length went into the forward cabin space.

https://youtu.be/yN80fPjeXxA

Ours will be approx. 1' 5" longer and the stretch is in the main cabin space.

I'm finished building for the season. Brought in the epoxy from the shed yesterday. I may tinker a little here and there but for the most part the building season is over. :cry:

I got done pretty much what I wanted to get done this year. Had a slow start to the season but eventually hit my stride about August! :lol:

Just wanted to thank everybody who's looked in on my posts here and our blog site. I greatly appreciate the feedback & camaraderie that goes on. It really helps keep the enthusiasm for the project alive!

We'll see you back in the spring!

Cheers!

I'm not a boat builder by any means, but I think it would look and perform better with a bit of a brow over the front glass. Otherwise there will be lots of light coming in and glare to go with it.

Otherwise Nice Boat!

We had white sh*t falling from the sky yesterday. High temp was 27 F! Brrrrrrr!

Hard to think that 'season 5' is now over and still working on the hull.

spacer.gif
img_380349_1_8f58f63f8b271b31a2629bdf80fd195d.jpg

Back to work in 2 weeks to refill the project kitty. Hopefully there'll much more progress next year.

Stand down.

Back
Top Bottom