New Long Thin, Hyper-Efficient Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FPB = Foogly Power Boat

Somehow this one seems to be fooglier than the others.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I happen to think this is the best looking by far. Here is a better photo, or two:

FPB-971-Trials105.jpg

FPB-971-Trials102.jpg

Long and relatyvely narrow boat

We ask to Joubert (naval architecte ) to do this type of drawing for us in 1994 it tooks to us finally 7 years to transform this idea to a "real boat" .
During few years we try to sale and built similar or near similar boat ...without succes !!
All (except Dashew ) fail to make any "serie" of such boat .
Because this type of boat as I wrotte on the first page of our blog concern a very small quantity of potentials customers...
Dashew have a big commercial machine behin him for example he get articles (in French Magazine )on the Windhorse just on the prodject.
At the same time our boat was already built and cruising .And we got just a photo and small article ...Because the principal is finally not the idea, the strenght, the consumption (for all of that our boat meet or exess the Dashew boats) but the commercial aspect and the feeling ...and the target (rich old people ?)
In the 15 last years we got just 4 potential Customer for boat similar at our .
We had some email exchange with Dashew when Windhorse was just a project and we wrotte it could be more usefull a hull like our without keel and with solid bottom ...and when we take a look at the 64' evoltution we can clearly understand that this idea was not stupid :) but one idea is not all (look at the Tad Robert 56' I like this concept but how many was sold !?)

Next monday a Customer come to buy our Long-cours.62 ...normally after that we will built 2 similar évolutions at far less price than Dashew 64'.
Even cheaper than the Arknautica 58' ...but without marketing sure it will be 2 boats and never more .

On the 58' Artnautica , the only "problem" is : I don't be able to keep a boat so light for feel confident with him and be able to charge her for real "passagemaking" books, Tools, diesel, food, water, spare parts etc etc it means tonneS.

And or the abillity to cruise in no good weather conditions until we don't get film we lateral short wawes ...

For the rest congratulations to take the risk of built your dream .

"Passagemaker" cherchez l'erreur ! - Trawler long-cours

Le concept - Trawler long-cours

I like you longcours62. I've seen some of your sites and drawings.

It's nice to see some of your original ideas, though you clearly seem to know that there is virtually no market for such a boat.

Also, it's nice to hear someone's viewpoint other than the Dashew shills.

Good luck

After receive a personal message from Trawler forum

I like you longcours62. I've seen some of your sites and drawings.

It's nice to see some of your original ideas, though you clearly seem to know that there is virtually no market for such a boat.

Also, it's nice to hear someone's viewpoint other than the Dashew shills.

Good luck

It seam to be necessary to precise : we are not Professional boat builders and (as you can read on our blog !) we are not making marketing here.
As wrote on some post years before we stop (long time ago ) to try sold and/or built boats similar to our actual one .

And when above we wrote we will built two similar (if the potential Customer still want buy our actual) it will be a built for me and a colleague on the (sorry I don't know the right term in English) "self made" "own built" "do it yourself " basis.
Just take "chaudronnier" and welder, rent a "warehouse" and built our hull/boat.
It is manly why we project to get her below 1/8 of a Dashew 64' if we do all by ourself and 1/6 if we make the hull and arrangement in professional boatyard and carpenter.

Or , may be , built totally the boat with a fiberglass boatyard who want built similar boats to our actual...?

Here is another new LDL (longer, thinner, low displacement to length) boat design that is being built right now.

It seems that this design might appeal more to the traditional trawler type of people.

"Johnson Yachts, based out of Pine Harbour Marina in Auckland, New Zealand, are in the process of building an 80-foot launch for a NZ/Canadian couple living in Australia.

Designed in collaboration with NZ yacht designer Kevin Dibley, this new project will be marketed as the Johnson 80 Motoryacht, Designed as a light displacement-to-length motor launch (LDL), she is designed and built to Australian NSCV LR SSC-2B survey requirements.

The design brief to Dibley was for a vessel that has a sleek and low profile, and a very stable and highly efficient hull form. A go anywhere, anytime launch that the couple could use with family and friends both here and abroad. The interior had to allow for good entertainment with a large groups, but also comfortable and private for smaller groups and charter."

johnson_80_ga.jpg

More information:

Dibley Marine Yacht Design | Naval Architects | Sailing Boats and Powerboats | Johnson 80 Power Boat

80-120′ Passagemaker | Johnson Yachts International Ltd

Technical Specifications of Johnson 80 superyacht:

LOA 24.765 m 81′ – 3″

LOH 22.965 m 75′ – 4″

LWL 21.450 m 70′ – 4″

BEAM 5.500 m 18′ – 0″

DRAFT (Loaded) 1.418 m 4′ – 8″

DISP (Loaded) 48,000 kg 105,820 lb’s

DISP (1/2 Load) 42,000 kg 92,593 lb’s

POWER 2 x MTU Series60 740hp @2300 rpm

SPEED (Cruising – Loaded) 12 kn

SPEED (Max – Loaded) 23 kn

FUEL 7,500 litres 1,981 USGal

WATER 1,650 litres 436 USGal

Last edited:
Power trimaran

Governments are ordering some new ultra long and thin trimarans it seems - here is a new 43 meter boat coming down the pipe. Seems like the design might make an interesting starting point for a line of long range passagemakers...

The Ocean Eagle 43 is an innovative OPV (Offshore Patrol Vessel) that has been designed to offer a cost effective and reliable vessel for governments and research agencies to operate for extended periods at sea.

Ocean Eagle 43 trimaran will have a range of over 3,000 nautical miles and a top speed of 30 knots whilst burning around one-fifth of the fuel of an equivalent single hull OPV.

Built in lightweight composites and powered by four 500hp engines, the 75 tonne vessel can be operated by eight crew or less offering a much lower cost of ownership, both in build and operation, than an equivalent single-hull ship without compromising the operational performance and ability to carry out effective patrols.

0115CW_IM_SEA02.jpg

0115CW_IM_DSC00472.jpg

A response to the changing needs of modern navies with greatly reduced acquisition and operations budgets, the Ocean Eagle 43 is a light ocean patrol vessel (OPV) that makes use of modern electronics for multiple missions — many of low intensity but high economic import, such as anti-piracy and surveillance of fishery, oil and gas and other maritime resources. Constructed of composites by Chantier Naval H2X (La Ciotat, France) for shipbuilder CMN (Paris and Cherbourg, France), the new 43.6m OPV benefits from CMN’s 68 years of surface-combatant craft experience and construction of hundreds of advanced vessel designs for 38 navies around the world. Part of the Ocean Eagle’s versatility comes from its sleek and fast trimaran hull, which also offers a beam (width) that can accommodate a landing platform for unmanned aerial vehicles. A renowned shipyard in its own right, H2X’s methods contribute to the trimaran’s favorable performance-to-price ratio and have earned its builder the record for the largest hull ever infused with epoxy resin in one shot.

Designing for efficiency

Conceived by legendary naval architect Nigel Irens, the Ocean Eagle 43 is a descendent of his multi-hull designs, which dominated international sailboat racing for decades. ...

“It’s taken many years for the world to warm up to this design for an efficient surveillance vessel,” notes Irens, “but it is a perfect application for a trimaran.” The long, slender main hull and diminutive outer hulls (called amas) provide exceptional stability but weigh less and experience less drag than other hull forms of comparable displacement, including twin-hulled catamarans. “The trimaran offers the greatest range … due to its very low wetted surface area,” he explains. “What you get is a top speed of 30 knots for Ocean Eagle, but more importantly, a very economical 20-knot cruise for a 4,828 km range.”

Delivering versatility

The first three Ocean Eagle 43s will be delivered to Mozambique in 2015. CMN has been so pleased with the design concept that it introduced a mine-hunter version of the Ocean Eagle 43 in Le Bourget, France, at the 24th International Naval, Defence & Maritime Exhibition (Euronaval, Oct. 27-31, 2014). The company says it now offers an “ideal” solution for navies seeking simple, modular and versatile platforms, which can be assigned not only to surveillance and minehunting, but a variety of other patrol missions.

OceanEagle43-2.jpg

Check out some great images of the finished boat here at the CMN Web site:

Naval ship design and construction - Marine Energy - CMN Group

Maritime Surveillance Trimaran - CMN Group

https://vod.infomaniak.com/redirect/cmn_vod/militaire-15063/mp4-12/eagle42nosound.mp4

Details on Nigel Iren's website:
Ocean Eagle 43 delivered to CMN Cherbourg for fitting out - Nigel Irens Design

Video here:

Source:

Dark knights: Sleek trimarans surveil the seas : CompositesWorld

Details here in PDF format:

http://cmn-group.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Ocean-Eagle-43.pdf

It was our first idea in 1990,

Le concept - Trawler long-cours

In 1993 we thinking a more "conventional" trimaran like the
"cable & Wireless" we like this form but as you can read on the first page of our blog we became more reasonnable because "long light and narrow" boat is difficult to sale but a "long thin narrow" power trimaran it is near "mission impossible" :lol:
In a 22 m lenght power trimaran you get the same volume than in a 12m classic motor boat ... It is acceptable if you never go in marina !! 22X8 m

But even if it is not reasonnable I like the look of a power trimaran.
But one time I got the oppotunity to discuss about power trimaran with Nigels Irens ans his remarque was : not sure than the drag of the 3 hull of a tri is more efficient thant the drag of the 2 hull of a catamaran ... And I thinks he know the subject :)

Some of these boats are relatively radical. The typical trawler in comparison is also radical when it comes to beam length ratios in the other direction. There has been a long trend toward fatter more cottage type boats to get more room and interior. Often a bigger or more powerful engine no side decks and three levels goes with the formula at some cost in efficiency. Back when engines were not so powerful the norm was a much narrower low profile low CG boat. As a result trawlers which are supposed to be efficient are not relative to boats with longer WL less beam and less wind age. Take the typical trawler shave 5 or 6 feet of beam get rid of the top two levels and all the weight that goes with it and Walla a much more efficient boat long and lean.

Wow wow wow! Long-cours62! That is an amazing looking thing!! Love it. Best execution aesthetically of this configuration I've seen by far. I'd love to do the design work of a civilian version!! Get in touch if you'd like to collaborate.

Seriously!

You can see here an another look proposed to us by a collaege

Wow wow wow! Long-cours62! That is an amazing looking thing!! Love it. Best execution aesthetically of this configuration I've seen by far. I'd love to do the design work of a civilian version!! Get in touch if you'd like to collaborate.

Seriously!

But I have some reserve on some "details"
For example the "flat" front part on the arm between central hull and lateral hull and the bow on the first one , may be more efficient or more "design" but not usefull for anchor and probably very good for get a heavy "spray" on the wheelhouse but with some change it could be interesting in the range of 21/22 m length overall.
Enough volume for a couple, good average speed, low consumption and possibility to run little quicker than a "classic" passagemaker with same amount of hp.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 99
  • 1 (4) - Copie.jpg
    1 (4) - Copie.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 137
Clearly we are "naïfs"

If I had a spare $2.5 Million I'd probably go for this boat. Its not pretty, but I love the functionality and global cruising abilities:

FPB 64 Offshore Motor Vessel, BC, Canada US$ 2,495,000

4839507_20141014015423663_1_XLARGE.jpg

Listing:

2011 Circa Marine FPB 64 Offshore Motor Vessel Power Boat For Sale

Because we can't understand a such price !!
2.495.000 us$ around 2.270.000 € !?

For example our boat (similar size, material and possibilities) was for sale at 350.000€.
Our boat is absolutely not so equipped and lot of more rustic than FPB 64.
But if we invest ,say, 350.000 € in her we got new arrangements, Naîad stabilisations, gen set ,aircon, more electronique etc ...
It means for 30% of the cost of the FPB 64' you got a boat with same quality arrangements, some news equipment, engines with less hour, same strength, same ability ...but (always a "but " ) old "fashion" .
Yes but old fashion and 1.570.000 € still in your pocket:dance:

We really don't know why they are so expensives ?:nonono::eek:

I'm always interested to hear the thought and engineering that goes into boats like these, but I have zero desire to own one.

The whole Great Room concept strikes me as in complete opposition to long range cruising. At night, you need a dark pilot house, but because the pilot house, salon, and galley are one in the same, that means it's lights out everywhere except the staterooms. That doesn't feel very accommodating to a crew on a long voyage.

Also, the long and thin approach comes at the expense of interior space. It seems tight in the pictures, and everyone I know who has been on one says there is very little space considering it's a 64 (or whatever length).

We really don't know why they are so expensives ?:nonono::eek:

To put it in off road vehicle parlance. For the same reason folks buy Hummer's and Suburban's, to look tough. For off road capability I can take a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and have similar off road capability and much more utility at roughly 30-40% of the price.

You are right !

I'm always interested to hear the thought and engineering that goes into boats like these, but I have zero desire to own one.

The whole Great Room concept strikes me as in complete opposition to long range cruising. At night, you need a dark pilot house, but because the pilot house, salon, and galley are one in the same, that means it's lights out everywhere except the staterooms. That doesn't feel very accommodating to a crew on a long voyage.

Also, the long and thin approach comes at the expense of interior space. It seems tight in the pictures, and everyone I know who has been on one says there is very little space considering it's a 64 (or whatever length).

For the wheelhouse . It is exactly what we feell we our motor sailor built in Vietnam, "deck saloon with Inside steering position" it is not fonctionel.
Because when you come from outside in hurry you put water everywhere in the saloon and it is not very usefull to going out and in quickly.
In this case you must cross saloon walk aft, going out .
We prefer clearly one wheelhouse with direct exit to the deck on each side .
And also we don't understand a wheelhouse without possibility to looking aft.

Last edited:
And it even has a Mom's Attic on top of the salon.

Maybe that's why they are selling after only three years.

Another new long-thin design announced. I like it, wish I could afford it.

IFPB-130-103-2.jpg

A 5,000 NM range at 14 knots, ice class hull strength, rescue craft-like capsize resistance and recovery, 20kW solar array, hyper efficient heating cooling/ventilation, and the most comfortable ocean crossing ride make the FPB 130

a natural evolution from the four FPB designs that have preceded her. Engineered and built for maximum reliability and minimum maintenance, the FPB 130 reduces crew requirement while expanding where, when, and how comfortably you can go. The same sea kindly efficient hull form, attention to detail, and systems engineering that have made the FPB marque the talk of the waterfront, sets the bar even higher in this latest FPB offering.

Source:

SetSail » Blog Archive » FPB 130 – It Is The Real Deal

If I am interpreting this right your dislike for such boats comes down to the boat cottage ratio concept. the 64 is not enough of a cottage for your satisfaction. This of course is a mainstream modern trend in cruising boats where more boats are getting increased freeboard, beam and multiple decks. This 64 is bucking that market trend. A good boat does not have to be a cottage unless the cottage is what defines a good boat for the owner. My take on the situation is that the newer generation of cruising skippers and their mates want home like comfort and rather not be constantly reminded they are on a boat. They want a kitchen not a galley. They want a bathroom not a head. They want a bedroom not a bunk. They want an ice maker and air conditioning and not an Ice box. This trend aside, a good boat is still a good boat even if it may fall short as a cottage and many of the cottage features work against a craft being a good boat. A craft that has good boat performance characteristics but is well endowed with cottage features could be a better boat but the market is not pushing that way and the next model of that boat will probably be fatter higher and heavier and that will please most new owners.

eyshulman,
Reading your words is especially interesting as your Devlin 48 may be the closest thing on TF to these FPB boats.

58 Fan thanks for all the nice pics.

The latest Passagemaker magazine is out, with a focus on Bluewater cruising:

11401449_10153515641592494_4432460212145470509_n.jpg

How often are we going to see the same picture of the same boat?

And what is with that mother's attic? Didn't U Haul invent that like 50 years ago?

Hyper-Efficient Long Range Cruiser

I just noticed via Facebook that Artnautica has launched the second boat in their series - and I really like it. I think it remains to be proven in terms of its sea keeping abilities - but the efficiency and speed is something that I'm very interested in.

This is the first one after the prototype - what do you guys think of it now that it has a finished interior (which the prototype didn't from what I could see).

Boat #1 - Prototype:

image-Dickey-Boat-Custom-LRC-58-aluminium-boat-fishing-new-zealand.jpg

Boat #2 - Finished Construction

12046970_1214205975273098_492724656239151532_n.jpg

image-Dickey-Boats-Art-Nautica-LRC-58-Galley-Helm.jpg

image-Dickey-Boats-Art-Nautica-LRC-58-Helm.jpg

image-Dickey-Boats-Art-Nautica-LRC-58-Helm-Station.jpg

image-Dickey-Boats-Art-Nautica-LRC-58-Full-Beam-Cabin.jpg

image-Dickey-Boats-Art-Nautica-LRC-58-Cockpit.jpg

image-Dickey-Boats-Art-Nautica-LRC-58-Bow-Cabin.jpg

You can see the full photo set here, and more information:

http://www.dickeyboats.com/boats/custom-projects/boat/Dickey-Boats-LRC-58

Last edited:
UGH!

Having to crawl across the bunk to the foot of the bed might be good for an O nite guest , but not for me.

Where does the guest sleep underway? , even skinny boats have lots of motion forward.

Umm an 1999 80' boat for $750k sounds like a good price for someone.

I would love to see how this boat does in moderate seas, 8 to 12 ft, 25 knots wind.

Seems it would just plow thru the waves like a submarine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom