Chattanooga TN liveaboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lockerman

Anyone here that lives aboard between Chattanooga and Knoxville? seeking marina advice. Thanks, Lockerman

I'd like to know also. We plan on heading up that way next summer.

Hmmmmmmm, guess not. Was kinda wondering about that myself and was hoping you would get an answer or two. Been toying with the idea of moving to TN.

Marty.........................

I don't know how I missed this thread. I live in Chattanooga. I thin Island Cove Marina allows live-a-boards.

Dockage

Goose Pond Marina on the Tenn. River is less than a hundred miles down river from Chattanooga and allows live-a-boards. A great marina with covered slips, free weekly pump-outs, laundry, etc. Scottsboro is a very nice small town with good shopping.
Its worth a look.

Ray

Don, do you know the rates there? Looked at their website but could not find a rate sheet.

Last edited:
Don, do you know the rates there? Looked at their website but could not find a rate sheet.

Jon, I don't know their current rates. I did have a friend that lived on a 65' house boat there a few years back. Give them a call in the morning to check it out. My Blackfin is at Chickamauga Marina, but I know of no live-a-boards there.

Blue Springs on Watts Bar Lake is reported to take liveaboards by Active Captain. It was a nicely run, out-of-the-way marina when we used to go there--and the lake is gorgeous.

Blue Springs on Watts Bar Lake is reported to take liveaboards by Active Captain. It was a nicely run, out-of-the-way marina when we used to go there--and the lake is gorgeous.

Yep, Ian, I think Watts Bar is the prettiest lake on the TVA system. Blue Springs is a great place, but a little far away from good shopping.

We have a place in Wears Valley. We want a marina not too far away (maybe less than an hour or so) to spend time on the boat exploring the Tennessee River.

Fort Loudon Marina is going to be the closest marina.

Last edited:
I am at Fort Loudon Marina, and recommend it, but there is a good marina on the upper end of Tellico near the 411 bridge Tellico Harbor. Great people and some of the most beautiful views of the Smokey’s from that end of the lake. It is very near Wears Valley.

Attachments

• 11953252_10207239953264354_3920516830307601745_n.jpg
    11953252_10207239953264354_3920516830307601745_n.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 2013 08 11_ColdWater2013_2364SD.jpg
    2013 08 11_ColdWater2013_2364SD.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 2013 08 10ColdWater2013_2280DS.jpg
    2013 08 10ColdWater2013_2280DS.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 547966_3759115252839_790352785_n.jpg
    547966_3759115252839_790352785_n.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 140
Watts Bar Lake is our favorite and Blue Springs Marina there is also the best. Great people, facilities, restaurant, boat yard. Yep, a little drive away from Kingston, but if you have a car you are fine, and I believe they also have a courtesy car if needed.

I would to encourage you to check out three marinas, Blue Springs Marina on Watts Bar Lake, Ft Loudon Marina located in front of the lock from Watts Bar and across from the Tellico Lake cut through, and Tellico Harbor the marine which is the nearest the Smokey Mountains and your property in Wears Valley. Blue Springs Marina is my overall favorite Marina on Watts Bar Lake. Blue Springs Marina is a family business with the owner living on a boat at the marina. The service and restraint/bar ate great. The bath house is older but clean. I like to stay at Blue Springs and often do, but due to its isolated location (drive) I have never considered it as a permeant home base. Watts Bar is a great lake with scenic views. The Twin Lakes, Ft Loudon/Tellico with the connecting channel offer so much more, Tellico has clean clear water, mountain views, and lower usage being able to find private coves. Ft Loudon has mountain views, many marinas , a large number and verity of water side restraints that run the gamut from burger joints to Ruth Chris Steak House and the ability to go to/attend sporting events and concerts. Good luck!

Attachments

• 2013 08 11_ColdWater2013_2335DS.jpg
    2013 08 11_ColdWater2013_2335DS.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 119
Is Calhouns still there by the marina. Great BBQ ribs.

Yes, just got home after dinner at Calhoons with some other boaters.

I've lived at Blue Springs on Watts Bar and at Island Cove near Chattanooga. I'm currently berthed at Blue Springs (40' covered slip with potable water = $300) but not living aboard (got a better offer). Recommend both with caveats listed above, but not Hales Bar west of Chattanooga on Nickajack. Last I heard, Ft Loudon and Chickamauga Marinas did not accept live-aboards, but other marinas on those lakes do.

Pura Vida , You're not from Soddy Daisy by any chance are you ?

Thanks everyone for the great information. We are planing on coming up maybe this weekend or next to scope things out.

Last edited:
Capt Jon, our boat at Florence Harbor on Pickwick Lake and our house on Wilson Lake. Give us a shout if can be of any assistance as you head up river.

Is there much barge/tow traffic near these marinas?

Generally, the farther upriver you go, the less barge traffic you'll encounter. Especially true above Chattanooga where a stalled lock replacement project has impacted commercial traffic. That said, the TN River is a series of TVA reservoirs and most have generous navigation channels. In the "lake" portion of the reservoirs above the dams there is usually ample room (hundreds of yards or more) outside the channels for vessels with 6-foot drafts to stay away from barges. (TVA draws the water level down in winter in preparation for spring flood control, so the area outside the channels varies by season.) As you move upstream from a dam, the reservoirs tend to become more riverine and can get a bit tighter for a few miles below the next dam, but in many years of boating there I've never had anything approaching an encounter I felt was dangerous.

Lockerman How is your adventure going?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom