2005 34' Mainship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMA

As I mentioned in the Welcome Mat forum, we're back in the market for a boat. We are definitely scaling back from that 64' TT beast we had out in CA. I have come across a 2005 34' Mainship powered by a 350HP Yanmar 6LYA-STP. The vessel as offered seems very well equipped, though the $155k asking price is a little more than I want to spend. You can see it here on YW.

I am interested in any and all opinions on later model (2001 and later) Mainships in general, and this vessel in particular. Our plan is to mostly cruise the ICW between Hilton Head and the Keys, with the occasional foray over to the Bahamas.

Any idea what kind of fuel consumption numbers we can expect on this vessel cruising at 8-10 kts?

If I needed to kick the speed up, what kind of top end might I expect?

We're hoping to go over to St. Pete to see it this weekend, but I'd like to have all the input I can get before we go.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Last edited:
I owned a 2006 34T in California several years ago. FWIW, I sold it for $160K at the bottom of the market in 2009, but it had no generator and A/C. So that price doesn't sound so bad. There is a guy selling one in LI Sound and he is below $150 I think. Check with YW.

10 kts isn't a good speed for that boat. It is climbing up the hump at that speed, such as humps are for semi-displacement hulls. So it is pulling a lot of hp at that speed. !2 kts is about the best cruising speed it will do and requires 2,800-2,900 rpm and burns 11-12 gph.

7-8 kts is a good slow cruising speed. 7 kts requires 1,700 rpm and probably burns 3 gph. 8 kts about 1,900 and maybe 4 gph.

WOT is about 16-17 kts but don't do it for long, just every now and then to prove that it will get up to rated rpm.

The 34T is a great boat for a couple. Not so great for more than two.

David

By the way, this 34T has stabilizers. Never heard of one that did. That could well account for some of the asking price.

We own a 2004 34T with the 370 Yanmar, which we cruise at 1700 RPM, 8mph and realize about a bit more than 2mpg. We purchased the boat last year and have enjoyed more than 200 hundred hours of trouble free cruising. This is our eight trawler and our last as I am pushing eighty years old, we love the boat. Easy to handle and great engine access.

Ray

By the way, this 34T has stabilizers. Never heard of one that did. That could well account for some of the asking price.

Which one? I didn't see any mention in the one the OP had listed.

Mine is a 2005 34T. Confirm djmarchand's numbers except that WOT on mine is about 19 smph at 3400 rpm (fresh bottom). Joliet Il to Knoxville Tn ~1200 sm on <400 gallons of fuel, mostly at 1500 -1800 rpm, half of the trip was fairly steep downhill. Stabilizers will effect performance. I like mine. Very quiet running. Easy to single hand. Limited galley storage. Bed is small. Definitely a 6-4-2 boat (Drink 6, feed 4, sleep 2).
. I

Long John

I take it (from your pseudonym) that you are tall, so would headroom and bed length suit a 6ft 3in owner?
Thanks for any info . .. G

Headroom in head and stateroom is 73", doorways are 71", bed is 74". It would be a deal breaker for me if my height was the issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom