What Dinghy engine should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also should have noted the EFI Suzukis are reportedly immune to ethenol issues and once the ECM is energized they start first pull (seems to stay energized when used daily). We are late 50s and the Admiral is 5' tall.

Rip
M/V Lab Partners
Monk 36 #247

Our 20 HP Suzuki EFI (2013 model) which we bought new is not an easy motor to start. About half the time it starts on the second pull as described above. The other times the starter cord will suddenly jam about halfway out, nearly breaking your arm. Let the cord go back in and it will usually start on the next pull. PITA.

I took it back in to the dealer who messed with it for a few hours and told me that is just how four strokes work and to live with it.

Our 20 HP Suzuki EFI (2013 model) which we bought new is not an easy motor to start. About half the time it starts on the second pull as described above. The other times the starter cord will suddenly jam about halfway out, nearly breaking your arm. Let the cord go back in and it will usually start on the next pull. PITA.

I took it back in to the dealer who messed with it for a few hours and told me that is just how four strokes work and to live with it.
Think of the ingenuity that went into designing it to function like that! Wow! BS in my opinion.

I've not experienced that with our 15, but have only used the pull cord a couple times...

The "jam about halfway out" part sounds like you're coming up against compression. IOW, maybe not a "jam" (rope stuck on something) but rather a stop due to compression resistance.

?

-Chris

My two stroke 8hp I can pull start with my left hand in a sort of "pitching" motion if I feel too lazy to rotate around and use my right hand. Super easy to pull over.

My 8hp 4s, which was stolen, took a good meaty right hand pull to get going. That and it vibrated, had a finicky carb and was heavy.

I did not like that engine. When it was stolen, I went right to craigslist and found a two stroke. Super happy with it.

While in the Bahamas in 1996 we switched from oars on our Nutshell pram, to a 2HP Yamaha 2 stroke. Built in fuel tank runs forever, direct drive, and weight about thirty pounds. Still pushing our new to us 8' Avon inflatable which when not in use fits nicely into our dock box behind the pilothouse, no lifting, once it's in the carry bag I use the 12 VDC dinghy davit to lower it into the box along with the outboard.
PS
Ski in NC, left hand pull starting while seated to the starboard side of the O/B not a good idea for your shoulder rotator cuff, I speak from expierence.

Last edited:
While in the Bahamas in 1996 we switched from oars on our Nutshell pram, to a 2HP Yamaha 2 stroke. Built in fuel tank runs forever, direct drive, and weight about thirty pounds.

Had one of those...It was a great motor!

I went by an independent boat motor repair shop near Baton Rouge hoping to find an 8-25 HP 2 stroke. Nuthin'. I called another- he has a 25 Yamaha- but the power head was in a bench. And didn't seem in a big hurry to finish. I left my number.

Had one of those...It was a great motor!

I have one now and so does Skipperdude in Alaska.
Mine runs fine but is a bit noisy above 1/2 throttle. Not as noisy as the air cooled OB. Great for my rubber duckie w/o the transom.

My favorite is the OMC 3 1/2 hp twin as mentioned in several posts above. Had one several years ago but it was badly salted and had reoccurring water pump problems. I'm going to get another one w the FG cover (quiet) and the remote fuel system. It was about 5lbs heavier than the 2hp Yamaha.

Hollywood you are amazing!!!!!!! There are some winners right there. I have Craigslist Pro and tried searching for "small outboard" and Yamaha 15 and such. No luck. What wording did you use for a search?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Hollywood you are amazing!!!!!!! There are some winners right there. I have Craigslist Pro and tried searching for "small outboard" and Yamaha 15 and such. No luck. What wording did you use for a search?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Craigslist Pro? That sounds way too much like an Oxymoron.

✌️

search boat parts section,
2 stroke, 9.9, 15. I limited it to what I think is your area. there out there and your right these do have some good possibilities.

Let us know how your search ends
HOLLYWOOD

You sure nailed it :)
I'm set up to go see the first one listed this evening when I get back to GPort. Sweet looking Johnson 15.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

He had more than one fatal heart attacks?

Keith

He had two heart attacks on the same night which turned out to be fatal. I guess technically the second was fatal, but think that it was the combination of the two. First one put him in the hospital, second came shortly thereafter. Died.

The other reason I sold my 2006 Tohatsu 6 hp 4 stroke was its single cylinder would painfully buzz my arm numb. It was my 4th least favorite outboard out of 20 owned in my life.

You sure nailed it :)
I'm set up to go see the first one listed this evening when I get back to GPort. Sweet looking Johnson 15.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Can't find a better 2 stroker . These little engines are bullet proof. Have one on my dinghy. Easily repaired, carb/fuel lines don't like ethanol gas though.

Thanks RC. And thanks Hollywood!
Scored!! ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443660703.666123.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back
Top Bottom