390T and NY canals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricktara

Vessel Name
HighFalutin
Vessel Make
2000 Mainship 390T
I am doing some research ahead of travelling from Maine to the Hudson and up into the canals either into great lakes or St Lawrence possibly next summer. I have read about low bridge heights and have a Mainship 390T. How big a deal is it to unscrew the screws holding the radar mast and laying it down on the flybridge floor for the problem bridges. Has anyone with a 390 have experience to share with me on this?

Does the 390 have a hinged mast step like my 34T did? If it does, it is a two minute exercise to lower the mast. Have a couple of boat cushions available to support the upper end so it doesn't bend the anchor light fixture. One person can do it, but two is better.

David

No, it is not hinged. So I worry about weight and wire length, etc

No, it is not hinged. So I worry about weight and wire length, etc

Hudson to Oswego you will be fine, however to go further west or to Lake Champlain you will need to get your mast hinged. We had ours done by a local marina in 2003, it was less than a few boat bucks. They cut and hinged ours in the middle so it's very easy for one person to lower and raise.

Hudson to Oswego you will be fine, however to go further west or to Lake Champlain you will need to get your mast hinged. We had ours done by a local marina in 2003, it was less than a few boat bucks. They cut and hinged ours in the middle so it's very easy for one person to lower and raise.

Ah, so now I understand. Hudson to Erie to Oswego to Lake Ontario has the height. Continuing west on Erie has the restriction, and continuing up Hudson to Champlain has the restriction. I couldn't figure out how some people said yes and others said no.
Thanks again for the clarification.

Have you measured the height of your boat? Never assume!

Thanks
I agree, and will get an accurate measurement, but it's book height is 18'8" so I doubt it will go under a 15' bridge.

Thanks
I agree, and will get an accurate measurement, but it's book height is 18'8" so I doubt it will go under a 15' bridge.

Rick
I just sent you an email but noticed your post here...

Here is the NY Canal Bridge Height Link

Just be sure to check water levels when you actually make the trip as some areas / times levels can be high and clearances reduced.

Here is the NY Canal Notice To Mariners Link - Note you can sign up from this page to receive these via txt / email just prior / during your trip

Feel free to PM me here if you want more cruising info.

We have a measured height of 18', and we have gone through Champlain locks without issue, only one bridge that was within 6 inches all the rest plenty, from what they told me the number published is more on a flooded condition, also lock-masters can lower an area if requested.
As others have stated Erie up through Oswego is not an issue at all.

We have a measured height of 18', and we have gone through Champlain locks without issue, only one bridge that was within 6 inches all the rest plenty, from what they told me the number published is more on a flooded condition, also lock-masters can lower an area if requested.
As others have stated Erie up through Oswego is not an issue at all.

thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom