Your Best Technique or Invention

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah.... The old "tumbled cat" exercise. Yeah. Who hasn't seen that scenario played out ..... ;)

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Re this spider talk I've heard that spreading walnuts around will keep spiders away. Something in the walnut they don't like. The way I read it on a Facebook post there's no need to crush or otherwise modify the walnuts. I know the FB source. She's a very respected neighbor.

Say no more.
Here's the solution;
https://youtu.be/Jr_xkoqUjVY?t=2

Saw that. Lucky he wasn't killed. Actually his car was damaged very little even.

Ok, investigation questions. Why did he have a lighter? He didn't have cigarettes. Most common reason for non cigarette smoker to carry lighter is to light other types of smokes. Had he perhaps been smoking something else? Or perhaps he's just a gentleman, always ready to offer a lady a light.

I just found that curious as I've never owned a lighter in my life.

I actually have a tip that may be useful.

When I installed a bow thruster on my Nordic Tug I had difficulty laying it out so that it met the manufacturers recommended location and cleared the locker bulkheads under the forward berth. Then it hit me... strong earth magnets. I raided my kids toybox (some years ago) and found some magnets. I temporarily stuck one on the inside or outside of the hull using funtack (that blue sticky stuff for hanging up posters) and go to the other side and stick on another magnet with an opposing pole. They even self center. I've got magnets at work that I've salvaged from a motor with which I can hang a phone book up on a vertical steel surface, so cored hulls and thinner wood hulls may benefit from this too, if you can find strong enough magnets.

I also marked out my waterline on the inside of the hull in different areas for reference using this method.

That is a great idea!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Super idea, Spy! Will be salvaging magnets wherever I can!

I use rectorseal on zinc brass plugs to stop weeping. New brass plugs are better at sealing than used ones because the threads are designed to distort to seal. nevertheless some sealant stops any weeping.

For the sceptics use your ohm meter to verify continuity.

bayview said:
I use rectorseal on zinc brass plugs to stop weeping.
Rectorseal?
Really?
Sounds like something Peggy would recommend.
HeadMistress said:
I'd also advise some re-evaluation and changes to your diet... What the heck did you eat???

Last edited:
I love it! Especially knowing where the exact waterline is inside the ER!

Re using the multi metre to check battery cells do the batteries need to be at rest or can they be tested while still functioning?

John

Rebel, at rest is the time to check. I suppose you could test while running- example: Running/ charging- 14.25 volts, divided by 6 gives you 2.75 volts per hole. Best in mind this is a surface charge- and doesn't mean it will spin an engine over. Next would be a "load test"- I prefer to let the starter/ engine provide the "load". Disable starting and use VOM and probe the +- terminals as you spin a few seconds. Each battery should maintain about 10.5 volts whine you spin.
What you are looking for is a variance between cells, and then variance between batteries my guess is over 10% would prove defective...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I put a female hose connection in my cockpit side wall for my water tank fill. I sealed the water tanks and have an over flow hose that dumps overboard when the tanks are full. T installed a pressure reducer inline then a water filter before the tank. Before the pressure pump I have a fine screen, then another filter after the pump and before the hot water tank. Under the galley sink I have another filter that I use a charcoal filter in and it's plumed to a separate drink faucet.

My "bottle water only"niece couldn't tell the difference in a blind test between her water and my water.

I put a female hose connection in my cockpit side wall for my water tank fill. I sealed the water tanks and have an over flow hose that dumps overboard when the tanks are full. T installed a pressure reducer inline then a water filter before the tank. Before the pressure pump I have a fine screen, then another filter after the pump and before the hot water tank. Under the galley sink I have another filter that I use a charcoal filter in and it's plumed to a separate drink faucet.

My "bottle water only"niece couldn't tell the difference in a blind test between her water and my water.

Capthead,
That's a great idea..

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

A good canvas shop can replace all that soft vinyl with semi rigid polycarbonate (lexan type) windows. The poly carbonate is much superior to soft vinyl.. Try it in the center front window first if you are unsure. My canvas guy even curved the corners using 30 mil instead of 50 mil. The curve gave rigidity.

Those 'windows' look great!

Diaper pail for TP, wipes

Doesn't like the disposal instructions, or the manual head, or both?

It is actually my wife who demands the disposal method and deals with the resultant trash.

I should have never introduced her to Peggie Hall and her book (Get rid of boat odors)!! ;)

We're using one of the diaper genie pails - they come with liner, scent rings, and they do a great job of keeping smells contained. :blush:

Art- that's a super idea. My favorite fix is using a hairdryer as a pilothouse window defogger for winter running. Mine works on the inverter when on low setting so if patient, I don't need to start the gennie.

Interesting. I have tried 12v little dryers used in cars, and it didn't help.

A standard hair dryer? And it doesn't pop the breaker on the inverter circuit?

About how much window area can you clear with a single dryer?

When cruising singlehanded, I keep amidship spring lines deployed all the time by using "trip resistant" nylon strapping which lies flat on the side decks. I can usually spring myself in and out of any spot without leaving the cockpit.

Interesting. I have tried 12v little dryers used in cars, and it didn't help.

A standard hair dryer? And it doesn't pop the breaker on the inverter circuit?

About how much window area can you clear with a single dryer?

Hair dryers have essentially no start up surge, so it's simply a matter of getting one within the wattage range of your inverter. A quick check shows wattages from 800 to 1,500 watts.

Ted

Wifey B: Not about to post anything here about my best technique or any of my techniques or inventions. :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom