Ever get the feeling something was creeping up behind you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Chugging along south of Grays Reef this afternoon, when I caught a glimpse of something over my shoulder.

RUN AWAY!!!

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 162
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 151
We had a front come on us in the keys while we watched the whole time and kept saying "one more grouper, just one more".

The CG had to rescue 14 boats that day. Luckily we werent one of them.

Is this on Lake Huron? I ask because I remember grays reef from last years trip.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

It's at the north end of Lake Michigan. It was actually pretty undramatic weather wise. Temperature dropped about six degrees, pressure shot up about .04" and the wind veered about 100 degrees.
It overtook me really quickly, though. From the way it was boiling around, I half expected to see a giant, bearded face shooting lightning bolts from it's eyes.

"Ever get the feeling something was creeping up behind you?"

Worse is looking in the mirror at some old guy!!!

"Ever get the feeling something was creeping up behind you?"

Worse is looking in the mirror at some old guy!!!

I keep seeing a chubby bald guy. I really need to have my mirrors adjusted.

Yes I had a situation several years ago but mine was somebody.I'll try to make this
short .
Back in the late 70's my wife and I still had some wild oats and we use to go to some live music bars in Memphis .
One night we were leaving the bar late and I could feel that somebody was close behind .finnally I turned around and there was this guy way bigger,meaner and hopped up on something .He starts this BS about me having whooped up on him a week before and it was time for me to get whooped on and he was mad . My dad had always told me that if I ever got into a situation where there was no hope to pick up something like a 2 x 4 ,a brick or whatever .If that didn't work then run like hell. Well there were no bricks lying around and no fresh stack of 2 x 4's either . Just when I was thinking grab Joy's hand and run like hell Joy ( she always quick in a dangerous situation) steps in between us and say's "hey buddy you got this all wrong my husband has never whooped anyone's
arse :hide::flowers:we saw you at a party a few weeks ago over at what's his names house . " Then the guy says '"oh yeah I remember you now , sorry about that ":D and we go on our way. We just celebrated 42 years together .:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Oh man, and she can paint?? You should probably get her some flowers, stat.

I heartily agree!!!

Yes, at 7kts everything creeps up on me, many things do more then creep.

For that I would close everything up and turn up the music, bought all I can do.

Years ago, from a level 67 of an office tower, another sailor and I watched a front like that approach Sydney. But, nothing seemed to happen.
Once I was flying Canberra to Sydney on a B737. Captain came on, told us we were catching the front that had just hammered Canberra before we boarded, we were restricted with altitude, hang on tight, we had to fly through it. That was a truly nasty experience, there is power in a storm front.

Looks familiar. Got caught not paying attention July 2 this summer with group of ripping TS >16 mile wide and 4 miles deep between me and shore in my 21' CC. On radar it looked like it was sliding to the north and would miss. NOT!!! Had time to put on a rain jacket and try to hide under the T-Top. Rain came in sideways and the lightning was flash/bang/no delay close. Nothing to do but run up close to another boat in the same "boat". The radar was useless. Pulled the hood down, turned the nav lights on, crossed my arms to not touch any metal and waited, and waited, and waited. After 20 min of beating, I called the other boat and we headed towards shore at 4 knots. I never want to repeat that mistake.

Was running a charter off Hatteras, NC. Coming back down the coast from Diamond Shoals, one of my customers asks, "what's that behind us"? That would be a water spout. Visions from the Wizard of Oz swirling in my head. Do you pull over and let it pass or try to out run it? Luckily it lifted off the water and ascended into the cloud. I do believe in spooks; I do believe in spooks!

Ted

I've always wondered what would happen to a ship if it met a waterspout. If it wanted me, there's no way I'd be able to out maneuver it. I'm sure we'd lose a bunch of gear, but I don't think it would do much structural damage. Who knows.

I've always wondered what would happen to a ship if it met a waterspout. If it wanted me, there's no way I'd be able to out maneuver it. I'm sure we'd lose a bunch of gear, but I don't think it would do much structural damage. Who knows.

I've wondered about that too. Has anyone ever been hit by a waterspout on their boat?

Yes, I was hit by one near Andros on a heavy 100 ft catamaran research vessel. It moved or removed every thing on deck that was not secured, tore a few tarps, but did no other damage.

It's nature's power wash!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom