Eagle Pilothouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Three Sheets

We're about to purchase our first trawler and this weekend we're checking out an Eagle Pilothouse 53. I can't find out much about these boats on-line. Does anyone know anything about them?

Welcome to the forum! What year is it? Eagles were built by more than one manufacturer.

Ted

Welcome to the Forum. Wow....an Eagle 53 is a pretty awesome boat as your first trawler style yacht.

Attachments

• eagle_trawlers_53.jpg
    eagle_trawlers_53.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 989
We don't hear from him much lately, but doesn't "Phil/Fill" have an Eagle?

I think his is a Roughwater 58. It may be named "Eagle".

I think Conrad is correct.

Where the heck has Phil/Fill been? Last I heard from him he was on a road trip down my way. I got confused over which RV park he was at so we missed meeting but that was like a year or so ago. Hope he's ok.

Thanks for the correction.

That's right, Craig. He was going to check out the Bay Area and Delta. Hope he's ok, too. Phil???

In Reply on an Eagle 53

We're about to purchase our first trawler and this weekend we're checking out an Eagle Pilothouse 53. I can't find out much about these boats on-line. Does anyone know anything about them?

Timely! We just finished two days of inspections, survey, and a final sea trial on a 2002 Transpacific Marine Eagle 53, same boat you're apparently considering. Boat surveyed clean, surveyor said it has been a while since he'd seen a hull with zero signs of blistering, not even micros.

Both the mechanical techs and surveyor commented on the build quality of the boat. Apparently, full (non-cored) fiberglass stringers, solid glass hull to about two feet above the waterline, coring above that is honey-comb, not balsa or plywood. The boat has multiple electrical panels, arranged so that cabling and wiring could be logically grouped to reduce long runs. Virtually every fitting of any type was labelled, same for valves and high-current cables. Electrically wiring was neatly run and branched in IEC cable raceways. Most fittings and deck hardware appear to be US or European, all critical equipment, windlass, hydronic heater, water-maker, faucets also US/Euro.

We wanted to move up from our much-loved, island-cruising Tollycraft 48 Motor Yacht, to a coastal fast trawler. I couldn't find a better and better built used boat in my price range that came even close to the Eagle. Pilothouse, Portuguese bridge, wide walk-around deck, bulwark doors port and starboard, stern door, large swim platform, massive boat deck with full overhang over the decks and cockpit, tumble-home stern, twin Cummins mated to ZF transmissions and electronic controls, Kabola hydronic boiler and Torrid hot water/ever-hot tank - these are all pretty standard features, and there's a lot to like!

Best Regards,

Mike M. Paull
Seattle, WA
1984 Tolly 48 Motor Yacht - Event Horizon

The Eagle 53 is made by Transpacific Marine which has been building boats since 1969. They began by building sail boats and their first power boat was the Eagle 32 designed by Ken Hankensen. They also did the tooling for KK 42.

Is it the Eagle Pilothouse in Anacortes you're looking at?

Timely! We just finished two days of inspections, survey, and a final sea trial on a 2002 Transpacific Marine Eagle 53, same boat you're apparently considering. Boat surveyed clean, surveyor said it has been a while since he'd seen a hull with zero signs of blistering, not even micros.

Both the mechanical techs and surveyor commented on the build quality of the boat. Apparently, full (non-cored) fiberglass stringers, solid glass hull to about two feet above the waterline, coring above that is honey-comb, not balsa or plywood. The boat has multiple electrical panels, arranged so that cabling and wiring could be logically grouped to reduce long runs. Virtually every fitting of any type was labelled, same for valves and high-current cables. Electrically wiring was neatly run and branched in IEC cable raceways. Most fittings and deck hardware appear to be US or European, all critical equipment, windlass, hydronic heater, water-maker, faucets also US/Euro.

We wanted to move up from our much-loved, island-cruising Tollycraft 48 Motor Yacht, to a coastal fast trawler. I couldn't find a better and better built used boat in my price range that came even close to the Eagle. Pilothouse, Portuguese bridge, wide walk-around deck, bulwark doors port and starboard, stern door, large swim platform, massive boat deck with full overhang over the decks and cockpit, tumble-home stern, twin Cummins mated to ZF transmissions and electronic controls, Kabola hydronic boiler and Torrid hot water/ever-hot tank - these are all pretty standard features, and there's a lot to like!

Best Regards,

Mike M. Paull
Seattle, WA
1984 Tolly 48 Motor Yacht - Event Horizon

Is it the Eagle Pilothouse in Anacortes you're looking at?

Not the boat in Anacortes. That boat is "stupendously" equipped! Made an offer on it, but (advance "notice" for you here :)) the seller's counter-offer was, shall we say, almost offensive (or, he's not all that motivated to sell, just guessing here).

Best,

MikeP

Then it must be the one on Vancouver Island. Good for you. Bad for me. Enjoy.

Cheers
Jim

Hi Jim -

Broker called this morning to inform me that our offer on the Eagle 53 listed with Van Isle was accepted. Put the boat on the hard after sea trial last Fri in anticipation of such, glad it worked out! Bottom is being painted. She surveyed clean. Good luck with the Anacortes boat, it's "nicely appointed", and then some!

FYI, there is an exact sistership of ours, small world, on the same dock as our, at Shilshole, just a few slips away. Same year, also a two-stateroom layout. NW distributor is Seattle Yachts, also at Shilshole.

Best,

MikeP

Last edited:
. . . Who did the survey and mechanical?

Marine survey by Lachland Mackenzie of Meadows Marine Surveyors.

Diesel/genset inspection and oil samples by Darrin Dorio of South Island Marine.

Haul and block at Philbrooks.

Best,

MikeP

Congrats Mike !!!
I have some Tollycraft Overlay Decals you can use at the Rendezvous next year!
All the best

Congrats Mike !!!
I have some Tollycraft Overlay Decals you can use at the Rendezvous next year!
All the best

Hah! How cool is that, I'll take a set! Was great Rendezvousing with you guys, and good to meet up again in the Forum here! BTW, nice job on your blog, and you've got a super Tolly!

Best,

MikeP

Back
Top Bottom