Questions on AIS Antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
After last years trip on the lakes and Detroit River with the freighters, commercial boats and ferries which are all faster than me, I have decided to add ais class b transponder. I've bought a Comar csb200 that I'll install over winter or next spring. My question for those of you with experience in this area is should I go with a dedicated antenna or a splitter, I'am leaning towards a dedicated antenna, it seems to be the most simply and trouble free installation. What have you all have to say? Also if any of you have the Comar unit any tips on programming, installation or reviews would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I have the Garmin with built in splitter....however chose to use a dedicated antenna. Sorry have no experience with the Comar but am interested in why you chose it?

I ran across some seller on eBay that had them at a very substantial savings on new units. I did some research but could not find much from anyone actually using one, my electronics are NMEA 0183 that I've done all the wiring on and this should add in with no problems, plus I like the silent mode. I did find this http://www.milltechmarine.com/Comar-CSB-200-Class-B-AIS-Transponder_p_153.html

Our boat came with AIS. I'm pretty sure that the VHS antenna does double-duty.
In fact, I believe that the AIS is actually integrated with the VHS.
Does this sound right?

Since AIS uses Marine VHF channels 87A and 88A, no need for a special "AIS" antenna ($$$). Any marine VHF antenna will work.

I went for a dedicated, not because I have a detailed technical perspective on what is better - I just felt for a few $ there is no chance of conflict and in my mind it is a lot simpler, and on boats my view is simpler is better!

I went for an em-track B100. It was inexpensive and has worked fine for the 3 years I have had it. There is a silent mode on it too, though not via a simple external switch like some others.

WWe went with a dedicated antenna, and made sure that the proper vertical separation requirements were met.

I do not know if other manufacturers have a vertical separation recommendation, but furuno does.

I went for a dedicated, not because I have a detailed technical perspective on what is better - I just felt for a few $ there is no chance of conflict and in my mind it is a lot simpler, and on boats my view is simpler is better!

I went for an em-track B100. It was inexpensive and has worked fine for the 3 years I have had it. There is a silent mode on it too, though not via a simple external switch like some others.

Same here, em-trak B100, and a separate (dedicated) antenna. The splitter would probably work, lots of people do it that way, but just too much of a hassle for me, one more layer of complexity I don't need. VHF antennas are just not that expensive and I'm no Einstein when it comes to marine electronics. So my radar arch bristles with one more whip, oh well.

Something new. What is this?:blush:

On my Furuno AIS they recommend a 4' vertical separation so that the two antennas (radio and ais) are not blasting high power RF energy into each others receivers.

I may have to move my AIS or my VHF antenna. They are right next to each other....

I may have to move my AIS or my VHF antenna. They are right next to each other....

Huh. My manual says a 4 foot separation (prefer 6) but doesn't say vertical so I just had the two antennas installed on opposite sides of the radar arch. I know the antennas put out a signal in a horizontal plane, but heck, the boats on either side of ours at the marina could have antennas at generally the same level and that doesn't seem to make any difference or cause interference. Hmmm...

I believe the collective wisdom of the group have made their voices heard and reinforced my initial thoughts. My VHF antennas are mounted on the top of the arch, I'll mount the AIS on a small flat spot at the front center of the fly bridge behind the spotlight. Thank you for helping me with this project.

Ooh! Ooh! Here's something I know about! :)

To avoid interference you want to have at least a half wavelength separation (either vertical or horizontal) between any two antennas that are transmitting in the same range of frequencies (as are Marine VHF and AIS). A full wavelength is better.

So, AIS operates around 162 MHz, which is a wavelength of about 1.85 meters. Hence, minimum separation should be about three feet, and better would be a little over six feet (more separation doesn't hurt).

One more question for the group, the way I read the manual it has has a GPS receiver but it has a connection for a GPS antenna. Can anyone recommend a good quality GPS antenna that would be suitable for the unit and use on a boat. As always thank you for helping me sort this project out. Here is a screenshot on the info from the manual and a pic of the connection, the TNC On the right is GPS, the BNC is for the VHF antenna. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442965312.074178.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442965333.795434.jpg

Found what I need is a AG100 from Comar. Did a search and bought a Furuno GPS antenna with the the same specs for $26.00 shipped. When completed I'll have $300.00 give or take in this project. Now to find a VHF antenna.

Wow my Raymarine AIS 650 came with a GPS antenna

I have the Comar CSB 200 myself interfaced with Costal Explorer. I use a dedicated 4 ft antenna with 4 foot separation. Never loose a signal. Has always worked perfectly.

I also contacted Raymarine on antenna separation. You need at least 4' space between your other antennas. I now need to move an antenna.

I also contacted Raymarine on antenna separation. You need at least 4' space between your other antennas. I now need to move an antenna.

I put my 4ft ais antenna on top of my mast. My vhf's are on each side of the bridge house. Nice natural separation with good height.

I bought a Shakespeare Galaxy 4'. I plan on mounting it on the front of the flybridge, it has a small round flat area above and behind the spotlight that should accommodate a flange mount. This will separate it from the other VHF antennas, I have 2 GPS antennas mounted on the dash, one each on the port and starboard sides.

If you search out my thread on troubleshooting the Sitex MDA 1 Metadata Class B AIS transceiver, you may find some useful tips and hints. I installed the Shakespeare 5225-xt antenna which was was recommended by the Seattle rep. In the end all of my difficulties with the install came down to the antenna. Note that you may find the unit won't "transceive" unless the vessel is moving.

Jim

Found what I need is a AG100 from Comar. Did a search and bought a Furuno GPS antenna with the the same specs for $26.00 shipped. When completed I'll have $300.00 give or take in this project. Now to find a VHF antenna.

Wow!!

What did you pay for the transceiver?

Wow!!

What did you pay for the transceiver?

$230.00 / free shipping, I had a saved search on eBay and a seller listed 5 units for $295.00 or best offer, I started at $200.00.

I've had the West Marine AIS-1000 for more than 5 years. I leave it on 24:7. This summer I noticed on Marine Traffic that my position hadn't updated since June. Receive worked fine and I didn't notice the transmit error light on the front. Replaced the dedicated whip, no joy. Carried into WM and their tech called me this week - he's going to swap to a new motherboard for $200 (plus tax), and mentioned he's starting to see a few failures of the older units. I think I'll power it down in the off season.

Keith

I noticed several AIS units are on 24/7 in my marina, not sure I understand why. Most things have a finite life, why use that life when not needed? I doubt a thief would be kind enough to leave one on, and no real risk to other boats tied to the dock.

Please tell me the reason to leave the units on, I stumped.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom