Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Loafs and Fishes,
I was aboard that boat 2 or 3 years ago. Very very nice boat. Was for sale at the time. Very nice and tidy below too.

Eric- that's a great quality ;)!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

3570076_f260.jpg

??????

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Saw this boat last week in Dana Point, California. It is a fully restored 1958 Wheeler.

Attachments

• Catalina 2015 002 (1280x960).jpg
    Catalina 2015 002 (1280x960).jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Catalina 2015 003 (1280x960).jpg
    Catalina 2015 003 (1280x960).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 100
Saw this boat last week in Dana Point, California. It is a fully restored 1958 Wheeler.

Wheeler were beautiful boats. I was aboard plenty while in NY during 50's 60's. Haven't seen but two in Nor Cal. One a virtual wreck and the other in good condition. That one looks to be really finely kept.

I remember the Wheelers of the 50's. They were frequently in Motor Boating magazine. My father bought me a subscription in 1950. The Wheelers seemed perfect in every image.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443457189.099155.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443457206.409627.jpg

Saw this beauty at the docks on Lake Union during the boat show in Seattle. Anyone know the history of it?

It has a rather checkered past and in recent years suffered the embarrassment of being run up on a charted rock in Wasp Passage. It was commissioned by the Navy during WWII, fitted with machine guns, and used to patrol the California coast during the war.

Returned to yacht condition after the was it served as a charter vessel for many years. The Boeing Company often chartered it to play host to airline customers, suppliers, and other companies doing business with Boeing until the company decided to purchase their own 120' yacht they named Daedelus.

If you Google M/V Malibu Seattle you will get some articles about the boat.

Last edited:
Nice looking boat (2015 Boat of the Year, post 2443). Great interior. The only downside to me is with only 160 hp in a roughly 46 foot boat I'm assuming it's pretty slow. So that would make it a non-starter in my book. But outside of that, I quite like it.

Ugh. Being different just to be different. But just how functional are they? Would not work for me. No decks!

Nice looking boat (2015 Boat of the Year, post 2443). Great interior. The only downside to me is with only 160 hp in a roughly 46 foot boat I'm assuming it's pretty slow. So that would make it a non-starter in my book. But outside of that, I quite like it.

Marin,

I think you might be right about the speed. The builders state "The first Panorama FF46 is equipped with 2 Yanmar 6BY3 - 160 HP engines and has a maxiumum speed of 11 knots." With a single, it would certainly be no faster than a S/L ratio of 1.34 or about 9 knots.

They also state it is a "Fast-sailing apartment with a large sun veranda." I would say they met their design objective.

Unlike many trawler builders they probably don't offer the boat w only one engine and if they did it probably would be about 300hp.

Marin I'll bet this boat is a lot lighter than your GB. Can your GB make 11 knots w a much smaller hull and more power?

Last edited:
manyboats said:
Marin I'll bet this boat is a lot lighter than your GB. Can your GB make 11 knots w a much smaller hull and more power?

The specs say 24 tons. Our boat is 15 tons. The 2015 boat is 46 feet, ours is 36 feet.

Marin,
Why does it have such good performance? Narrower?

Is your boat 15 tons according to a travelift scale? If it's manufacturer's specs or something else? I suspect you're boat is heavier but it's a long way to 24 tons.

Last edited:
I could just see RT (if only I knew what he/she looked like!) giggling hysterically at 48 knots;

Marin,
Why does it have such good performance? Narrower?

The 46' 2015 boat has a beam of 15'. Our 36' boat has a beam of 12'.

Is your boat 15 tons according to a travelift scale? If
When we had our boat hauled a few weeks ago it was just shy of 30,000 pounds on the Travelift. That was with half fuel and full water.

Perhaps this boat actually has a SD hull. One w rocker that's narrower at the stern and has considerably curved sides. If the hull was closer to a FD hull it's performance could be that good at the speeds mentioned. There was no talk about it going 18.

Last edited:
This sad little 319-foot tub is lowering property values near the docks of Venice. According to Wikipedia, it's owned by the billionaire widow of a German department store magnate. With her 52-ft beam, 16-ft draft and 26-knot top speed Carinthia VII can carry 12 passengers in style, attended by her crew of 28!!!

We were walking along the docks last week and came across this and some other head-turners that I'll post in the near future.

METRO department stores in Europe, and Trader's Joe in the U.S.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom