Guru...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guru! What a silly classification. The more you talk, the more authoritative? Give me a break. Better to allow users to classify themselves, if in good taste. (A commander, by the way, is a lower rank than captain.)

"Some people without any brains do an awful lot of talking"

-Dorothy Gale,
The Wizard of OZ

For nthose that live in fear of 5200 taking over the world,

Simply wet it down when finished with gluing what ever together.

Its hydroscopic , so the wet surface sets up faster , and forms a non sticky skin.

FF,
That's great information. And will be well used in the future. My ActiveCaptain very cherished cap "took one for the team" during a recent repair on the radar arch- I was using bottle caps. With a hole drilled in it and a slit cut half way- filled with 5200, to seal some VHF wiring. I believe the credit for this approach goes to our very own RTF.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Peggie-- The titles are based solely on the number of posts to the forum.

This is true....and the software automatically assigns it. We do have the ability to assign the thresholds. I think Guru takes place at 500 posts.

What are the qualifications for veteran, senior or a guru membership...Age? It can't be length of service on the forum because I've seen brand new "veteran members." Boat size? Are these ranks for sale? If so, is there a price list somewhere? So exactly what DO these ranks/titles mean??? Inquiring minds want to know!

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s22/monikers-10474.html

You see them on all the forums. We had them on one of the automotive forums I once owned and one I moderated. They're usually governed by post count, and are meaningless other than to show that someone's been active in one way or another on the forum.

Some of the forums have stars, anchors, or something that will indicate a "supporting member." That's someone that essentially helps support the forum through a financial contribution, but is not a commercial member/vendor.

HTH

OD

Does anyone know how Rufus became an Enigma?

He requested it from the Site Team as it was assigned as requested. Same with Mark's Master and Commander. Anyone can request a different moniker and, if acceptable, will be changed by the Site Team.

If y'all have a different set of names for consideration in lieu of guru, senior member, etc, let us know. We're open to suggestions.

"Some people without any brains do an awful lot of talking" -Dorothy Gale, The Wizard of OZ

Some people have never learned that there's a difference between having something to say and having to say something.
--Peggie Hall:socool:

If y'all have a different set of names for consideration in lieu of guru, senior member, etc, let us know. We're open to suggestions.

Mushroom
Danforth
Delta
CQR
Bruce
Rocna

:hide:

Once saw a "lady" walking the streets of Annapolis wearing a T shirt that said, "I know Jack Sh*t. I married him."

Last edited:
Some people have never learned that there's a difference between having something to say and having to say something.
--Peggie Hall:socool:

Sorry, I miss-quoted Dorothy. The Scarecrow said the "some people" quote.

Attachments

• scarecrow11.gif
    scarecrow11.gif
    97 KB · Views: 52
What are the qualifications for veteran, senior or a guru membership...Age? It can't be length of service on the forum because I've seen brand new "veteran members." Boat size? Are these ranks for sale? If so, is there a price list somewhere? So exactly what DO these ranks/titles mean??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Don't worry, Peggy. People who are in the know are well aware of who the true gurus on the Forum are, irregardless of what their "title" is. You are a guru in my book, using the definition " . . . a teacher and especially intellectual guide in matters of fundamental concern."

Your expertise is about as fundamental as it gets.

Couldnt you just assign her as an expert? Surely the software isnt that rigid.

Excellent question. (Software is always rigid, by the way, by its very nature. You get something that works, and then you leave it be.)

Not speaking for the mod team, but only for myself as a longtime member of the Forum, it would be difficult to single out particular people as being "experts." There are some that I, personally, consider to be experts. I am not going to name them, but Peggy is definitely one of them. There are others, and when they speak, I snap to attention. But that is only me as an individual.

The problem would be in designating who is an expert and who is not. Who makes such a decision?

Be very careful in slinging the word "expert" around on the internet. There is no way to prove it, particularly on an amateur user forum like this one. Peggie was established as an expert in her field long before this forum was ever conceived. She wrote at least one highly acclaimed reference book on the subject, gave seminars, and thoroughly proved her knowledge, experience, and credentials to boaters and the boating industry in person.

Internet forums are simply blocks of text on the screen from people nobody knows from Adam. A few, like the former yard owners and shipwrights on the Grand Banks owners forum, can point to professional careers in the industry that are backed up by actual, researchable, provable experience. But most participants on this and similar forums have no more credibility on the subject of boating than my dog. Actually, less than my dog because I personally know my dog and what he's capable of.

The rest of you (except Peggie and also Rick Boggs who I have come to know outside this forum), sorry, but if you tell me on a clear day the sky is blue I'm going to look up to make sure for myself that it is.

I think the "titles" currently used by the forum admin folks are just fine if titles are needed at all. They indicate a level of participation but they do not define a level of actual credibility and expertise. This is the way it should be in my view.

The problem would be in designating who is an expert and who is not. Who makes such a decision?

It's been my observation that most experts are generally very quick to indicate that they are experts.

Couldnt you just assign her as an expert? Surely the software isnt that rigid.

Thanks, but I'd really rather you didn't.All too often that just creates an "open season" on the poor schnook with that title, and I'd just as soon not be that schnook.

Richard!!!
Brilliant, just a beautiful and thoughtful response. Who knew your deep intelligence to pounce on the most wonder-us list of titles.:thumb::thumb::thumb::whistling:

Al-Ketchikan-aka-'Anvil':lol:

Don't worry, Peggy. People who are in the know are well aware of who the true gurus on the Forum are, irregardless of what their "title" is.

I always considered you a wordsmith.....but dayum....come on now....IRREGARDLESS?????? REALLY????!!!!!!

Irregardless

"Irregardless is a century-old colloquial word that means the same as irrespective and regardless, and it may have come about by some fusion or confusion of those two words. The use of irregardless is a common peeve among people who question illogical new words and phrases in English, but the word is not as bad as many people think."
The passage above was selected from the "Grammarist" site. After that it became less favourable. Wikipedia was less favourable too. But it is not an unusual form, perhaps used for emphasis. Nevertheless,(uh oh)it is bound to upset a pedant or two.

5200. Use a tiny drop and then you can throw the rest of the tube away. $17 down the drain.

Same thing with Superglue no matter how you try to keep the opening patent. Damned annoying, I say...:facepalm:

Greetings,
"Use a tiny drop and then you can throw the rest of the tube away." HAH! That could be a comment on one's life as well....

Last edited:
Same thing with Superglue no matter how you try to keep the opening patent. Damned annoying, I say...:facepalm:

Interesting enough, Superglue offers red and blue thread lock- and if you wipe the tip off before you screw the cap on- it will seal perfectly. Unlike Loc Tite......

I always considered you a wordsmith.....but dayum....come on now....IRREGARDLESS?????? REALLY????!!!!!!

A common word in this area, although I agree that "regardless" would have been better. But around here, people who do not talk like the good ole boys are regarded with suspicion. I also drive a pickup with a "Roll Tide" tag on the front. All a part of protective coloration. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom