Oil for Lehman SP135 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
What do folks recommend as the best engine oil for the Lehman 135?

Straight 30w, 40w or 15-40w.

Truth is you could pretty much put most any weight oil in a Lehman and it'll run on it for ever.

Greetings,
Mr. wb. My Lehman 120 manual advises single grade oils of varying weights depending on temperatures. I'm currently using Rotella 30W.

Greetings,
Mr. wb. My Lehman 120 manual advises single grade oils of varying weights depending on temperatures. I'm currently using Rotella 30W.
My October 1978 L120 Manual recommends a range of single viscosity oils between 10W and 40 depending on ambient operating temp and engine speed. And for multi viscosity oils it specifies:
< 32F- 5W-30
-10 to 90- 10W-30
-10 to 90 or above- 10W-40
> +10- 20W-40
I use 10-40.

I try to minimize the amount of viscosity improvers by using none.

I use Delo 30W except in mid summer then 40W. If I had a turbocharger lubricated by engine oil I'd 15W 40 synthetic blend. Change oil often. Mostly re time except on a long trip.

Straight 30 or 15-40. Definitely want detergent oil.

Ken

Correction to 7 above. I use 15-40.

15w40.

I use Rotella 30W.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

10-40w Castrol Magnatec Diesel. Loves it...

Straight 30w, 40w or 15-40w.

Truth is you could pretty much put most any weight oil in a Lehman and it'll run on it for ever.

Yep.

I've noticed that the stores that sell large quantities, like 1 and 2.5 gal, in the south it's all straight weight and in New Engl
and it's all 15-40.

So I go with what the local are using and have been using 15-40 for the last 8,000 miles.

Once I get into a hot climate again, may go back to straight 40w, but then may not.

While the engine has not changed in 40 years, nor the manual, the data has shown that multi weights have more advantages than disadvantages for all engines.

Thanks for all the input everyone. FWIW I have settled on Rotella T 15-40. Cheers.

In FL I use Rotella 40 non detergent...straight.. If I go north I will adjust.

Back
Top Bottom