Wannabee Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marin wrote:.. However,*while I am sure there are some, I have not seen a commercial*lobsterboat in Maine or on Prince Edward Island with reverse-raked*windows.*

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 08:02:45 PM
Not too many round here but here's a couple. And here's a couple of "Novi" (nova Scotia) style boats with them.

Attachments

• maine1.jpg
    maine1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 58
  • maine2.jpg
    maine2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 58
  • novi2.jpg
    novi2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 64
  • novi3.jpg
    novi3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 50
marin wrote:2. We have a rocna and don't need another one (although on second thought*we will need a larger one for that fleming that's coming to us).

lol

Peter B wrote:

Just personally I must admit I have always believed in the form following function concept, and always felt forward raked windows should be de rigeur for virtually all except fast planing vessels,...
Oh, and Hustler, I officially give you permission to photshop Lotus to see what a CHB 34 with forward raked front windscreens would look like.

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 12th of January 2011 04:26:03 AM
OK Pete: *Here it is but I didn't do it and I don't know where the original picture came from. *Whoever did it must have an appreciation for Chubbies and their teak though.

Attachments

• chb raked.jpg
    chb raked.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 57
dwhatty,I think the orange boat looks terrible, the 2nd boat looks great and the other two not so good looking. Peters Chb looks a bit like a Lord Nelson or an old man w a BB hat w the bill turned way up * * ...kinda dumb looking. And the Chb is one of the best looking trawlers. Hustlers boat would look terrible w normal aft slanting windows. It seems to me each boat is different regarding the window slant. Mark's Coot would look too boxy w vertical windows, too stupid w raked back and goofy w raked far fwd. All the boats in our home page photo have raked back windows and they all look like they don't need to be changed.

nomadwilly wrote:

dwhatty,
I think the orange boat looks terrible, the 2nd boat looks great and the other two not so good looking.
I think they all look odd. This is what I think a lobster yacht should look like. Take off the bridge, shorten the house, open up the stbd side and put on a pot hauler and its what a lot of the working boats around here look like.

Attachments

• lust3.jpg
    lust3.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 57
dwhatty wrote:
This is what I think a lobster yacht should look like. Take off the bridge, shorten the house, open up the stbd side and put on a pot hauler and its what a lot of the working boats around here look like.
That boat is pure poetry in form, dwhatty. *

Peter B wrote:

PS....this could get ugly.....
Yeah, and maybe it did. *With the tall narrow windshield, the lines on your boat are just so classic that attempting to do something less than classic may not blend. *Here's a more interesting, and certainly "classic" round front vertical house that uses the natural flare of the flybridge. *

-- Edited by healhustler on Wednesday 12th of January 2011 09:57:29 PM

Attachments

• chubby classic.jpg
    chubby classic.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 55
dwhatty wrote:nomadwilly wrote:

dwhatty,
I think the orange boat looks terrible, the 2nd boat looks great and the other two not so good looking.
I think they all look odd. This is what I think a lobster yacht should look like. Take off the bridge, shorten the house, open up the stbd side and put on a pot hauler and its what a lot of the working boats around here look like.
clap.gif
That's for me. Where are the keys? Looks to be about 52'???

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 12th of January 2011 09:50:01 PM

Gonna guess the green boat is a Mark Ellis design!

healhustler wrote:

Here's a more interesting, and certainly "classic" round front vertical house that uses the natural flare of the flybridge.**
This one actually looks very good.* Hustler, are you a graphic artist?* You're doing a great job with Photoshop or Illustrator or whatever application you're using.

Marin wrote:
This one actually looks very good.* Hustler, are you a graphic artist? No, no. *Just an engineer turned therapist turned writer who probably needs this kind of reality escape. * LOL. *It's fun and interesting, and much lighter than the other work.

-- Edited by healhustler on Wednesday 12th of January 2011 10:24:38 PM

Well, thanks all. Healhustler if you didn't do the first one who did, because it is my original boat photo, and very well done. I said it might get ugly, but it was a useful exercise. The first raked one does not look great, but maybe if the window surrounds were white, like the original photo and how you did it on the second one....? I think I'm even less impressed with the second vertical ones actually, as I have never liked vertical windows on things that move, (sorry Eric) but it just does not look right. So, on comparing them all, I officially declare the original rear-sloping ones to be most aesthetic, (in my view - and probably Marin's), but they don't work as well as the forward sloping ones would I think. They are a bitch for trapping salt spray, let a lot of sun in, (hence the shade cloth screen for bright days), have bad night reflections. The only thing in their favour is I love the outward opening middle window, (sadly, fixed in later models), and which is lovely for ventilation, and would be tricky to set up in a forward-raked set-up. So do we call it a 'draw'? 'scuse the pun......
Thanks for the effort anyway guys, but hey....wait a minute, I reckon if the forward raked one was in white, and a bit more more rakish it just might.....hmmmmmmm

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 13th of January 2011 06:05:13 AM

Attachments

• vertical classic.jpg
    vertical classic.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 55
  • chb raked2.jpg
    chb raked2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image089.jpg
    image089.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 61
Sailor of Fortune wrote:

I'd guess a Jarvis Newman 46.
If you are a fan of Jarvis Newman boats, check out this hull that was finished by Zimmerman Marine. They were docked next to me in Hatteras NC last June. When I win 2 lotteries I'll buy one. 1 lottery to buy it and 1 to feed the 900 HP motor).

http://zimmermanmarine.com/boat-building/z46

Ted

-- Edited by O C Diver on Thursday 13th of January 2011 08:26:32 AM

O C Diver wrote:If you are a fan of Jarvis Newman boats, check out this hull that was finished by Zimmerman Marine.
Now that's one good looking boat! (I really don't care what the fuel consumption is.)

Who on the forum**has forward raked windows? Besides me.

SD*

Attachments

• img_1258_2[1].jpg
    img_1258_2[1].jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 54
skipperdude wrote:

Who on the forum**has forward raked windows? Besides me.

SD
I do... I do...

Dave

Attachments

• selene 4828 007.jpg
    selene 4828 007.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 62
I do if I stand on my head.

Good one. I had not considered that possibility.

SD

I don't.

And I don't have aft raked windows either.

Like most of you.

Except in one picture.

Peter B wrote:

So, on comparing them all, I officially declare the original rear-sloping ones to be most aesthetic, (in my view - and probably Marin's), but they don't work as well as the forward sloping ones would I think. They are a bitch for trapping salt spray, let a lot of sun in, (hence the shade cloth screen for bright days), have bad night reflections. The only thing in their favour is I love the outward opening middle window, (sadly, fixed in later models), and which is lovely for ventilation, and would be tricky to set up in a forward-raked set-up. So do we call it a 'draw'? 'scuse the pun......
Thanks for the effort anyway guys, but hey....wait a minute, I reckon if the forward raked one was in white, and a bit more more rakish it just might.....hmmmmmmm

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 13th of January 2011 06:05:13 AM

You brought up some interesting points, Pete.... it got me curious. *The first one here is the raked forward example, but done without wood. *Second is the vertical round from yesterday that you didn't care for. *Third is sort of an Ocean Alexander style, rounded, but with definite forward rake, which brought the top of the windshield out to the flare of your naturally rounded fly bridge.. *Forth is a reduced window version of the same OA style, but with reduced windows done with a line to complement the forward rails, then adding thicker, more classic styled pillars one would expect to see on boats like CHB's. * Working on this helped me gain some perspective on another project I'm have to smooth-out with my own pilothouse.

Attachments

• chb raked painted.jpg
    chb raked painted.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 72
  • chubby classic.jpg
    chubby classic.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 75
  • chubby oa style.jpg
    chubby oa style.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 78
  • chubby oa thick pillar.jpg
    chubby oa thick pillar.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 83
Since forward-leaning windows are offered in only a*relatively small number of pleasure boats, either they are usually not in favor by most*consumers, not an important factor in selecting a boat,*or the builders are "behind the times."

I didn't select my boat because of the angle of the windows, but expect to be pleased*having selected a boat having them lean forward.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 13th of January 2011 07:21:46 PM

PeterB, there are a couple of good reasons for the way your windshield was built.* First is there needed to be room to get the companion way opening to the forward cabin with enough headroom.* The other is that on a smaller boat it will give you a longer site line in the cabin and the appearance of allot more space.* In fact, it does give a little more space.* Instruments can be installed there in front of the helm.* On our trawler, we would set a small TV on the port side.* I like the reversed raked windshields, but on a smaller boat you would have to give up a little or extend the house forward.

I take your point Don, but it has been an interesting exercise, and I must admit the last pic Healhustler mocked up almost does it for me. The other half doesn't like it so much, but females have different aesthetic values as we know. Less impressed by form following function and maybe more orientated to the other way round.....? Any comment Pineapple Girl?

While the vertical-windowed mockup of Peter's boat looks okay to me, I think all these treatments give the boat a "Popeye,Toot-Toot" look.* Or as Eric put it, a old guy with his baseball hat on backwards.* Approaching a caricature of a boat. Perhaps if the forward pilothouse windows were smaller so they didn't appear so staring and bug-eyed it would help.

I really like vertical pilothouse windows when they compliment the design and when the windows themselves have some character.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 14th of January 2011 01:17:41 PM

Attachments

• columbia river salmon 2.jpg
    columbia river salmon 2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 1927-2.jpg
    1927-2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 64
  • chinook cu.jpg
    chinook cu.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 67
  • donna cu.jpg
    donna cu.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 66
Toot, toot, caricatures?

That photo on the*right with the curved pilothouse front reminds me of the plastic toy tugboat I had when I was four or five.* I remember sailing it in the street gutters when we had a heavy rain.* Toot, toot!

No quite, RT.* The toy had windows and hadn't been "humanized" (forgot the correct $10 word).

RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
Like this?
Well, not quite that bad.* But the "toot toot" look is fine on boats the design fits, like the famous New York Harbor tugs.* But on a recreational cruiser like Peter's that's where I think the caricature bit comes in.* The windows as mocked up by Hustler don't compliment the boat's lines, in my opinion anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom