Double sinks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Britannia

Wannabe
Vessel Name
Stillwater
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I've never been much of a fan of double sinks in my home, let alone on my boats. Stillwater has double sinks, each of which is a bit too small to easily wash my larger pots and plates. Back in the day, at least on sailboats, I think the logic was that one was for a saltwater wash and the other a freshwater rinse. I don't have saltwater available in the galley and don't plan to add it. When I remodel my galley I plan to install a nice large single sink - I can always use a plastic bowl if I want to have a smaller volume for water savings.

So what are your opinions on double vs single sinks? Am I missing something that I'll regret one day if I do this?

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5

I like either two large sinks or if there is not enought space for two larger ones than one of the largest sinks that will fit in the space. And deep too.

I have two deep sinks, doing away with one for a larger single would increase counter space, but I doubt it would be enough to offset the loss of the 2nd sink when washing dishes. I'll keep my twins, I find them much more useful than I would a single, for one thing I don't need to find space to store a large bowl for rinsing.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Greetings,
Mr. B. I see where you're coming from and no sarcasm intended but smaller plates and pots perhaps? We run into the same problem with one or two larger pots but for the number of times we use them as compared to the crockery that does fit in the sink, it is worth the inconvenience.
So, you install one large deep sink. Where or how do you rinse?

I've never been much of a fan of double sinks in my home, let alone on my boats. Stillwater has double sinks, each of which is a bit too small to easily wash my larger pots and plates. Back in the day, at least on sailboats, I think the logic was that one was for a saltwater wash and the other a freshwater rinse. I don't have saltwater available in the galley and don't plan to add it. When I remodel my galley I plan to install a nice large single sink - I can always use a plastic bowl if I want to have a smaller volume for water savings.

Richard: I think you're right on track. Back when I lived ashore I swapped two double sinks for one larger one. It fit my 9x13" baking pan with ease. I absolutely LOVED the ability to put things flat in the bottom of the sink.

As for water savings, I use a bowl with my soapy water for washing then rinse in the sink.

When I run across another Whale hand pump (I have one, plumbed to fresh water in the galley) the second Whale will be plumbed with salt water for rinsing prior to washing. In the meantime, if something needs heavy duty pre-rinse, I just scoop up a bucket of water and use that in the cockpit.

I have the Whale hand pump in the galley because unless I'm taking a shower for the most part the water pump is shut off. I turn on the pump as needed... it's a quirk I'm sure. On the other hand, I've never lost a tank full of water so perhaps there is a method to my madness, eh?

But as to a larger single sink, I think you'll love it. Just because it's huge doesn't mean you'll fill it with water though I certainly found washing pans much easier with mine. Enjoy.

Greetings,
Mr. B. I see where you're coming from and no sarcasm intended but smaller plates and pots perhaps? We run into the same problem with one or two larger pots but for the number of times we use them as compared to the crockery that does fit in the sink, it is worth the inconvenience.
So, you install one large deep sink. Where or how do you rinse?

It's Mr. W. or Mr. R. here depending on which name you want to use.

You're logic is impeccable of course. However, I live aboard my boat and like to have people over for dinner. While cooking for myself I can mostly use smaller pots and pans I still find myself wanting to use larger ones frequently (pasta, cooking multiple servings at a time so I can have pre-cooked meals ready in the fridge or freezer.)

If I have a single sink I'll rinse with a slow running faucet, possibly in spray mode. That's what I do now anyway. I have 600 gal of water on board so I don't have to be so frugal as to fill up a sink and reuse the rinse water.

Richard

Just asking but how big are your plates? Our large plates are 10.25" and easily fit in our double sink. :)

My plates are 10.5" in diameter - the sinks are 10" wide. The plates aren't really the big problem. They won't lay flat on the bottom but they will fit at an angle. It's pots, pans and mixing bowls that present a bigger problem. As a liveaboard who likes to have people over for dinner or cook multiple portions for myself at a time, the larger items get used quite frequently.

I just find no advantage at all in the double sinks (at least the way I wash dishes.) As I mentioned before, I don't go with the routine of filling one sink for the wash and one for the rinse. And in practice, I wash a relatively small number of items at a time, so I'm pretty sure I use less water running them under the faucet than I would if I filled two sinks.

Richard

Richard, we had the same situation at home and on the boat. The home double was large enough to hold the plates, but not the bigger pots, pans and appliances like a griddle. We updated our kitchen and went to an oversize single sink for the home. We absolutely love its flexibility and find that using a smaller basin in the sink helps us to conserve water. Another huge plus is the SS rack and other appliances that came with our Kohler sink.

On the boat we have double stainless sinks...probably original. They're in good shape so I can't justify the expense at this point, but we both would prefer a single large sink in place of the two. We also have an issue with regular plates and pans not laying flat. For the time being, it's a cross we'll have to bear.

Idea!!!!!!!! Keep the double sinks and install a dishwasher!

Richard: I think you're right on track. Back when I lived ashore I swapped two double sinks for one larger one. It fit my 9x13" baking pan with ease. I absolutely LOVED the ability to put things flat in the bottom of the sink.

As for water savings, I use a bowl with my soapy water for washing then rinse in the sink.

When I run across another Whale hand pump (I have one, plumbed to fresh water in the galley) the second Whale will be plumbed with salt water for rinsing prior to washing. In the meantime, if something needs heavy duty pre-rinse, I just scoop up a bucket of water and use that in the cockpit.

I have the Whale hand pump in the galley because unless I'm taking a shower for the most part the water pump is shut off. I turn on the pump as needed... it's a quirk I'm sure. On the other hand, I've never lost a tank full of water so perhaps there is a method to my madness, eh?

But as to a larger single sink, I think you'll love it. Just because it's huge doesn't mean you'll fill it with water though I certainly found washing pans much easier with mine. Enjoy.

Janice,

Sounds like you have it down. And we're on the same page as far as sinks go.

Richard

Richard, we had the same situation at home and on the boat. The home double was large enough to hold the plates, but not the bigger pots, pans and appliances like a griddle. We updated our kitchen and went to an oversize single sink for the home. We absolutely love its flexibility and find that using a smaller basin in the sink helps us to conserve water. Another huge plus is the SS rack and other appliances that came with our Kohler sink.

On the boat we have double stainless sinks...probably original. They're in good shape so I can't justify the expense at this point, but we both would prefer a single large sink in place of the two. We also have an issue with regular plates and pans not laying flat. For the time being, it's a cross we'll have to bear.

My experience exactly. On my last kitchen remodel I installed a large single single sink and never looked back.

As for the dishwasher suggestion - I have thought seriously about that. I have trash compactor right now. In a galley remodel I could replace it with a half width dishwasher. They're supposed to be the most water-efficient way of doing dishes. The question is, which would I rather have, trash compactor or dishwasher? At the dock I don't use the compactor at all. If I go long term cruising one day I might feel differently. Though there's so much storage on this boat I easily have room for trash in the aft lazarette.

Richard

I often thought a double drawer dishwasher would be just about perfect for a bachelor. Two sets of dishes, two drawers! One drawer is clean and ready for use while the other fills up with dirty dishes from that day. You never have to put all the dishes away! They're already where they belong.

Probably not suitable for 2 or more with the extra dishes. Then you'd need both drawers.

Richard,
I'm about to do just what you are contemplating--change out the two small sinks for one large one. Not being able to get large pots and pans into the sink is a pain. I see you're in the Bay area. Just brought "Grace" down last week (91 hours from Sidney to Sausalito w one stop in Newport). Let's stay in touch and I can let you know how the changeover works.
Kind regards,
Curtis

I think the same, Richard. My sinks are probably the same double SS you have on your boat. I just haven't seen the advantage of them, even after living aboard maybe half the time for two years. My Admiral is terrible with using dishes and utensils....actually fills the house dishwasher daily. I don't know if the double SS units would help with her aboard, but nearly every updated galley I've seen done on Manatees (if there ever was a live-aboard boat) has gone with the big single.

What about the counter tops? I figured if I'm going to change-out the sink, it would be time to do that too.

One sufficiently large sink is better than two inadequate ones. Consider your space and the size of your pots, pans, and plates. Lived my entire life with single sinks and survived. ... Nevertheless, in my group-camping days, there often would be a wash pot and a rinse pot.

What about the counter tops? I figured if I'm going to change-out the sink, it would be time to do that too.[/QUOTE]

Great point. I was thinking of replacing the somewhat dated corian with Quartz -- a synthetic alternative that can look like granite. Thoughts?

Until it mentioned as a subject, our side by side sink was never a subject. As our boat is on the small side one would think a double sink would be determental, not so. When guest are known to be coming we insert a bamboo cutting board on the inboard sink section next to the stove. When it is only the crew we employ a plastic cutting board. This serves as extra counter space.

I have a dish washer onboard,:flowers: Installed it 58 years ago.It has an everlasting warrentee.:thumb: However in the name of conserving water, I do the washing and never bother the dish washer!! :peace:

Al:whistling:-Ketchikan

Richard,
I'm about to do just what you are contemplating--change out the two small sinks for one large one. Not being able to get large pots and pans into the sink is a pain. I see you're in the Bay area. Just brought "Grace" down last week (91 hours from Sidney to Sausalito w one stop in Newport). Let's stay in touch and I can let you know how the changeover works.
Kind regards,
Curtis
Yes - would like to know how it goes for you. Let's keep in touch

Richard

I think the same, Richard. My sinks are probably the same double SS you have on your boat. I just haven't seen the advantage of them, even after living aboard maybe half the time for two years. My Admiral is terrible with using dishes and utensils....actually fills the house dishwasher daily. I don't know if the double SS units would help with her aboard, but nearly every updated galley I've seen done on Manatees (if there ever was a live-aboard boat) has gone with the big single.

What about the counter tops? I figured if I'm going to change-out the sink, it would be time to do that too.

Another vote for single. And yes, I plan to replace the counter tops at the same time. I'm saving my pennies to do a full galley remodel at some point. Both fridges and the freezer are probably due for a change out soon.

Richard

Great point. I was thinking of replacing the somewhat dated corian with Quartz -- a synthetic alternative that can look like granite. Thoughts?

Yes - I have remodeled a kitchen with one of the granite substitutes. They look good. Some of them are made with reconstituted granite in some kind of substrate.

Richard

I realize that I have started another single vs twin thread!

Oops :hide:

richard, any thoughts about whom to use to do the work? i won't attemp it myself, so if you know of a first-rate contractor or yard in the Bay Area i'd appreciate any recommendation......

by the way--love the KK brand nice boat you have!

Big single sink! The best way to go!! IMHO...

IKEA has great SS sinks that might fit where your double now is.

It has a good sized single bowl and like most Euro sinks a large SS flat surface to drain or prep., or set hot pots on.

richard, any thoughts about whom to use to do the work? i won't attemp it myself, so if you know of a first-rate contractor or yard in the Bay Area i'd appreciate any recommendation......

No one identified yet. The plan is a couple of years out so I haven't gotten as far as finding someone to do the work. Of course I'd be interested in who you find if you get it done first!

Richard

Back
Top Bottom