Lofrans vs. Maxwell windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Any comments or feedback on the Lofrans X4 hydraulic compared to a Maxwell VWC 3500 hydraulic?

By time you get up into the hyd area the "cost " folks are gone.

Both are good quality .

First question is windlass or capstan , horizontal or vertical shaft for drum.

By time you get up into the hyd area the "cost " folks are gone.

Both are good quality .

First question is windlass or capstan , horizontal or vertical shaft for drum.

Both are vertical units with chain gypsy and rope capstan, similar specs and price range.

I converted my horizontal Lofrans to hydraulic. It's a dual gypsy, single capistan. I wish it had the vertical capistan, but the horizontal units are nice because all of the horizontal units I have seen get really crusty. All of the operating components get washed with seawater. I like the above deck units personally from a maintenance perspective.

I've got that exact Maxwell hydraulic windlass and it works great. If you get it, I highly recommend the chain counter and control panel. You can dial in how much chain you want to pay out and press one button and it cranks away while you keep the boat positioned where you want and move back to lay out the chain. Same on retreival - press one button and it winds it all back while you move the boat around as needed, then it automatically stops when the anchor reaches the surface.

I've got that exact Maxwell hydraulic windlass and it works great. If you get it, I highly recommend the chain counter and control panel. You can dial in how much chain you want to pay out and press one button and it cranks away while you keep the boat positioned where you want and move back to lay out the chain. Same on retreival - press one button and it winds it all back while you move the boat around as needed, then it automatically stops when the anchor reaches the surface.

Which chain counter are you using?

Which chain counter are you using?

Maxwell AA560. I'm not exactly sure how they package/bundle everything, but there is a sensor that fits into the windlass, and the AA560 is the display/control panel. I think it's under $500.

Maxwell AA560. I'm not exactly sure how they package/bundle everything, but there is a sensor that fits into the windlass, and the AA560 is the display/control panel. I think it's under $500.

Thanks been looking for one for my Ideal

Nilsson vs. Maxwell

I've been chatting with Nilsson because their v3500 hydraulic appears to be similiar to Maxwell's but with 50% higher price. Setting aside the fact that one is built in (probably) China and the other in New Zealand, Nilsson had this to say:

"Our V3500 is totally different from the Maxwell winch... Our V3500 Hydraulic includes the counter balance and brake valves."

So does this mean that the Maxwell is missing these two items and what exactly are they needed for? The Maxwell should be fully functional (power up/down, free fall) straight out of the box.

A counterbalance valve is a pressure control device. it is needed to hold a suspended load against a back pressure. They are fitted on all hydraulic cranes, jacking control systems etc. I cant imagine any hydraulic hoist device not having a brake valve either.

Back
Top Bottom