View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Xsbank
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
There are no pilot lights on marine stoves.

I had an electric stove on my GB and I ended up putting a Coleman stove in the cockpit so I could make morning coffee without having to start the genset first thing in the morning and suffering the rudeness of my neighbours.

Electric boats were a fad brought about by poor sales and the image that boats could be more user-friendly than their perception. Get Susy Homemaker on board with a galley just like her kitchen at home and more boats would be sold. That dovetailed nicely with the marina culture where boats would always be tied up at night and never anchored out.

All that is perfectly fine if that suits your style but the pendulum has swung farther from the marina mentality (at least out here, I think) and more of us wish to be self-sufficient without having to run the genset day and night.

Did you all know that a rule in BC marine parks is no machinery to be run from dusk to dawn? I cannot fathom (you saw what I did there?) people running their gensets into the wee hours so they can sit there and watch television in an anchorage. I wish everyone knew that rule (while I'm on a roll, that should also apply to yahooing by rafted party-morons too!).