Twins overheating at the same time- the great mystery resolved...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. jb. Shrapnel? Must be a helluva hard belt with a massive velocity to penetrate two hulls (catamaran).

Just a personal observation...our 4JH2 doesn't eat cogged V belts like it used to chew through regular smooth V belts.

I've already gone through one smooth vbelt in about 250 hours. I will try the cogged version.

Do you use a particular brand?

I've already gone through one smooth vbelt in about 250 hours. I will try the cogged version.

Nope, just whatever NAPA had on hand that was the right size when I made the switch...will check next time at the boat.

If the boat is still in charter service gauges wont be as helpful as a loud alarm

I beg to differ Bruce. When I ran a charter company quite a number of times I had a charter catch an over heating engine before the alarm went off by watching the gauges.

But alarms are a very good thing, chartering on not. :D

Hope to avoid such a problem by having a marine-engine mechanic inspect and service the engine annually. It's not cheap, however. The mechanic enjoys servicing my single 4-cylinder JD. Easy access from both sides and above. All other JDs he works on are 6-cylinder.

The failure says a lot about the quality of the belts. Not only did they outlast their advised working life by over 150%, but consistency of quality saw them fail at virtually the same time.

The failure says a lot about the quality of the belts. Not only did they outlast their advised working life by over 150%, but consistency of quality saw them fail at virtually the same time.

I agree Bruce!

Hope to avoid such a problem by having a marine-engine mechanic inspect and service the engine annually. It's not cheap, however. The mechanic enjoys servicing my single 4-cylinder JD. Easy access from both sides and above. All other JDs he works on are 6-cylinder.

Exactly the plan from now on Mark! Can't trust that any maintenance was done before my ownership 3 months ago. Gonna do it all now.

Ilge.bl OTE=N4712; 372654]I must ask what do bilge weasels do?:D[/QUOTE]

well there are two different kind of BiIge weasels there is the soft bilge weasel who feeds on the belts and rubber hoses and sometimes electrical wires. Then there is the hard Bilge weasel. , they attack components like exhaust manifolds, cylinder head and sometimes alternators and water pumps. best to have a good exterminator check your bIlge, although the exterminator is expensive often costing Several thousand dollars an hour. On a rare occasion the soft Bilge weasel mates with the hard Bilge weasel 6 weeks after birth your boat sinks

Last edited:

Sorry for late reply...kept forgetting to check :blush:

It's a NAPA Premium XL ribbed V belt. There are probably better ones out there, but that's all they had on hand at the time in the way of cogged belts. Seems to me (with what little experience I have) that these belts need to be tightened less over time as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom