When will you pack it in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Out of the mouths of babes. Well, not exactly. But when you used a newly created word, "simpleized" instead of "simplified" it made me think. Taking your hint, I call what you did as you "Simplesized" your life.

Simplesized: Downsized to simplify.

I like it. :D

I like it too. I'm working on making it a lifestyle!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

No one in my family ever owned a boat. My father and grandfather took me shopping with them to a Sears store when I was 5 years old. They realized I was missing and began hunting for me. They found me sitting in a row boat in the sporting goods department. I cried when they tried to take me out of it. I wasn't born on a boat, the boat was born in me.

Howard

Dragged pegs on the tail off to the dragon 3 times this summer on my Victory Kingpin wishing these slow bikes would get the hell out of my way. I'm 65.

Dragged pegs on the tail off to the dragon 3 times this summer on my Victory Kingpin wishing these slow bikes would get the hell out of my way. I'm 65.

God help me If I every purchased a Victory over a HD that's when I would know I had lost my mind :D

It's funny how these 50 and 60 year old kids talk about being old! I still hike the AT, fish the mountain streams, do my own bottom jobs and hull waxing, and just enjoy life. All my joints and organs are OEM. My boat gives me purpose in life and never lets me down by providing another "job" that needs doing. I'll probably swallow the anchor when she's "finished", so I know I'll be around for a few more years, at least! 74 and counting! Ben

I'm 63. I gave up my 38' sail boat because of my back surgery. I down sized to a 27 Ranger Tug. Love the boat. Maybe should have went a little bigger? I can't do all of the maintenance, but I would rather pay someone and keep on boating. I do change the oil, winterize, cover her up for the winter and wax her in the spring. I can also do the bottom. The impeller is real tuff, I will pay for that one. But, all that said, even with my physical issues, I have 15 years to go. (I hope) I will sell when I can't get on and off the boat and in and out of the vee birth.

53 here, retired at 40. Been in some kind of boat since 16 or so. My favorite uncle died recently. They kept telling him the JackDaniels was gonna kill him. Finally got him at 93. He lived large, and is my roll model.

Another 63 YO here. I have always done my own boat work but can see the day coming when the tough stuff will have to be farmed out. Actually, I find that I am getting better at most boat related activities as I age, just not the ones that require more strength and flexibility.

My main gripe and the thing that will eventually knock me off the water is a lack of adventurous on-the-water companions. I want to go places that intrigue me and as I get further off the beaten track it gets harder to interest those around me to partake. I still believe that life is about the things that take your breath away. For me that doesn't happen much on land. image.jpg

There's a guy at my sailing club who, until a couple of years ago, was a very competitive racer. It was always fun to see people underestimate him because of his age (90+) and then watch him trounce the fleet. He was part of a WW2 bomber crew, shot down over Germany and spent time as a POW. His best sailing buddy at the club was a former WW2 German soldier who also became a POW.

The guy below was the subject of a NY Times story yesterday. I'm thinking that if he (at age 100) can set 5 world records for his age group in 95-degree heat, I should be able to boat into my 90s--assuming I stay healthy.

The PO of our boat was 94 when he sold her to us.
He bought the boat new in 1983,he used the boat on weekend with his girlfriend and his house during the week with his wife.Apparently they all got on OK.
My wife wasn't so keen on the idea for some reason.

Sometimes the obvious solution is there right in front of us. A proper wife at home- and an adventurous weekend girlfriend ;)...

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

There's a guy at my sailing club who, until a couple of years ago, was a very competitive racer. It was always fun to see people underestimate him because of his age (90+) and then watch him trounce the fleet. He was part of a WW2 bomber crew, shot down over Germany and spent time as a POW. His best sailing buddy at the club was a former WW2 German soldier who also became a POW.

The guy below was the subject of a NY Times story yesterday. I'm thinking that if he (at age 100) can set 5 world records for his age group in 95-degree heat, I should be able to boat into my 90s--assuming I stay healthy.

Ian, I think I see this guys motivation.

I'm 68 and just finished moving Marcail (MT 44) from Gulf Shores, Al to Brunswick, Ga. Last leg (and others) single handed. Great trip and several new friends along the way. I plan to keep doing these memories building activities till reality takes over. I still fly my plane and occasional take a car to historic races..... It keeps me active.......go till you can't.

Very interesting thread.

After witnessing a very old boater hit several boats (at least 8 and it was a scene) trying to moor his, I decided that I will pack it in before I become a hazard to others and myself.

I have an older friend that gave up driving his boat but not his boat. He gets a friend to drive and sometimes hires a captain.

After witnessing a very old boater hit several boats (at least 8 and it was a scene) trying to moor his, I decided that I will pack it in before I become a hazard to others and myself.
BINGO!
How many don't?
In any endeavour.
At any age.

I took "Sandpiper" out yesterday for a 20 mile ride, just to give her some exercise. Coming back in to San Diego Harbor, I shot this short video to remind me why I love this city so much! As long as someone will prop me up at the helm, I will continue to have and use a boat. :rolleyes:

5 world records for the age of 100. I think that's an accomplishment but don't think probably a lot of records out there for that age. He probably can win any race in his age group. No competition.

Very interesting thread.

I have an older friend that gave up driving his boat but not his boat. He gets a friend to drive and sometimes hires a captain.

We figure the last 10 years or so of our boating will be a captain doing it all for us. We've committed to each other, can't promise how well we'll keep those commitments but we'll try, that when we become unsafe driving a car, we'll stop and use a driver (whether of our car or taxi or whatever).

When we no longer medically qualify for renewal of our Captain's Licenses, then we'll stop boating alone. However, we'll continue boating as long as we can enjoy it.

5 world records for the age of 100. I think that's an accomplishment but don't think probably a lot of records out there for that age. He probably can win any race in his age group. No competition.

Technically, of course, you're right. I prefer to see it as his competition being with gravity and the inevitable urge to give up--the toughest competitors any of us will ever be up against. :)

Last edited:
...... how old is too old?

Hawgwash--- I was brought up to not put any importance on age. In fact, once I was past the little kid stage when birthday parties are an important social activity, we did not celebrate or even acknowledge birthdays again.

How long one boats is totally up to the individual. There are boaters in our harbor who still operate their boats even though they rely on physical assistance to get around (canes, etc.). And I know boaters who bailed on boating at a relatively early age because their interests changed and they had gotten everything out of boating they wanted to get.

My wife and I have no idea how long we will continue to boat. We have started a new boating experience in Europe which is vastly different than what we do in the PNW, but we have no plans to curtail our boating in this area. So we will stop boating when we stop boating. We are working with the state with regards to having our PNW boat used as a fish habitat (artificial reef) when we're done using it, but we are not attaching any projected dates to this.

Like every change in my life, we will stop boating when we feel it's the right time to stop boating. And when we do, we will see it as the correct decision and we won't feel bad about it.

We have started a new boating experience in Europe which is vastly different than what we do in the PNW.
I envy you. How great it would be to experience the world by water.Your Own Vessel in Europe
Like every change in my life, we will stop boating when we feel it's the right time to stop boating. And when we do, we will see it as the correct decision and we won't feel bad about it.
Exactly.
:thumb:

How great it would be to experience the world by water.

Well, I've certainly barely scratched the surface of "international" boating but I've done a bit. My wife and I do a fair amount of narrowboating on the canals in England. I and my crew have done some work by boat in Abu Dhabi, Istanbul, New Zealand, and on the Danube in Austria. And we've had some interesting experiences in China, the most notable going down the famous Li River and being taught how to fish using cormorants. I've posted these shots in the past but it was before you joined TF so here is a sample.

First two shots are of the boat we use on the English canals (in the first shot my wife is balancing on the toe ledge and the husband of the couple who joined us for part of that trip is steering), next three are scenes on the Li River, then a shot of the fellow who taught us to fish with cormorants and me and "my" cormorant for the day, then a couple of shots on the canals of Zhujiajiao, China, and finally one of the boats we filmed on in Xiamen, China.

Attachments

• willow-1.jpg
    willow-1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 74
  • willow-10.jpg
    willow-10.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Li River 1.jpg
    Li River 1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Li River 4.jpg
    Li River 4.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Li River 3.jpg
    Li River 3.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 58
  • Cormorant 2.jpg
    Cormorant 2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Cormorant 1.jpg
    Cormorant 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 63
  • China 1.jpg
    China 1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 64
  • China 3.jpg
    China 3.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 60
  • China 4.jpg
    China 4.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
It is strange to see so many youngsters responding to this thread. I would not think that packing it in would even register on their radar yet. :)
Guess not too many people were born on the water, as Janice and I were. When you are born on the water, and your first baby memories are water lapping against the hull, the changes of the tide, the boat gently rocking you to sleep, and the wind wailing and moaning in the rigging at times, then it is built into your DNA. In my opinion anyway. I was born in Pensacola, Florida, on a commercial fishing boat operated by my parents and my older brothers, and don't really remember touching dry land until the Law required that I go to school. I hated it.
So, different strokes for different folks. But I will pack it in when, and only when, I cannot even slowly crawl to do the things which need to be done. Until then, I will crawl if I have to. Even a bad day on the water is still better than a good day on land.

Well stated!

" Even a bad day on the water is still better than a good day on land."

Amen!

...When we no longer medically qualify for renewal of our Captain's Licenses, then we'll stop boating alone...

That last statement concerns me?

I guess depending on the medical reason, I could see it, but there are so many other "medical" DQ's that don't amount to a hill of beans to the non commercial boater, that I don't think I would let that be a determining factor.

That last statement concerns me?

I guess depending on the medical reason, I could see it, but there are so many other "medical" DQ's that don't amount to a hill of beans to the non commercial boater, that I don't think I would let that be a determining factor.

Note that I didn't say we'd stop boating, just would do it with others or a captain. I guess you're right in the question of what the medical disqualification might be.

" Even a bad day on the water is still better than a good day on land."
Don't know about that.

Good day on land:
Painting party
body painting party.jpg

Bad day on the water:
Hung up
boat grounded.jpg

Just sayin'

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom