View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #265
bfloyd4445
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadmat View Post
Intjonn - wow, how not to make friends and influence people - good luck with your non-fossil project )
Manyboats - Accurate statement that the hybrid cars folks aren't wanting to save money but "show the way" in their opinion. Fossil fields do actually renew - visited with a Geologist that was in on the Ghawar oil field in Saudia Arabia back in the 50's - said the earth replenishes the fields all the time. He said there's more oil seepage from the earth into the ocean than all the Oil Tankers combined.
Like an old Rancher here in Owyhee county said - "Until I can afford to buy & drive a solar or electric one ton dually pickup to do my ranching, or there's a solar or electric Kenworth that can get my cattle to market, well, I guess I'm just stuck with that Danged Ol' Fossil Fuel" )
First off in the begining all heavy trucking in USA cities was done with electric. Petroleum became an off the grid alternative and eventually replaced electric as the mainstay method of powering heavy trucks.
Second, fossil energy dosen't renew itself what happens is crude seeps in to fill the void from surrounding oil shale. Fossil fuel is like corn when you harvest it you can grow a new crop on the same ground the difference being for corn it takes one season and for oil it take a couple of hundred million years.

The railroads learned in the forties that the cheapest way to move loads was with the use of electricity not diesel fuel or gas. All modern railroad engines use electric motors to provide motive power and Diesel generators to provide that power. Solar is on the verge of pushing the diesel generator into the back ground with the new technology currently in development. There is a European power boat manufacturer, cant think of the name, that currently makes an solar electric trawler with a generator backup. My numbers are not accurate but it can go 50miles on electric alone then the genset comes on. I calculated it was capable of almost 10mpg using solar and genset. I'll see if I can't find here is a link to the new larger version

GreenLine Hybrid 40 for sale, Hybrid solar powered powerboat, motor yacht from Sunbird

Here is a link to the model close to the earlier model i did my calculations on. Factory gives it a range of 700nm on 132 gallons of D alone no electric. My calculations were based on running in electric mode till its used up then on D for two hpours to charge the batts without any solar input then back on electric. This boat looks to be amazingly fuel efficent

http://greenlinehybrid.com/Greenline-33-specifications