Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a pretty nice boat that turned up where I am anchored, towing a good sort of fishing doey as well.
Elington, don't know any of her history but should find out soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 134
Not sure how many will find this interesting, but there's a Pilgrim 43 for sale. I believe there are only 4 of them out there, so it's a rare opportunity. I'm not affiliated with these folks at all, just an admirer. I'd move aboard this boat tomorrow if I could.

1993 Pilgrim PLAY 43 Pilot House Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The 43 design just never struck me as appealing as the Pilgrim 40.

And there is a very nice one for sale , the Real Mountie.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/1986-pilgrim-40-hull-28-sale-224-900$-22302.html

Last edited:
Hmm. I did say I wouldn't Photoshop it, but that idea seemed harmless enough.

I just remembered a modern hull that's made in the UK that looks like that Baglietto hull; semi- d 40' about 9 tons, its based in the famous broom boats that work well on rivers and at sea, single or twins. The design brief was to produce a grp hull that looked like it was steel.

http://www.westwooduk.com/

Maybe a nice project for someone to build a replica bagleitto....:)

Last edited:
While not a trawler by any means, the Calkins Bartender is one of the most interesting designs I know of as it has all the seaworthiness of a double ended dory at slow speeds, but can plane on the spray rails that turns into "fins" in the aft section of the hull at faster speeds.

Was developed by George Calkins in 1958 to shrug off breakers across river mouth bars on the Oregon coast.

Someone on this forum is building one right now, so hopefully he'll chime in or someone can provide a link to his build thread...

https://bartenderboats.com/product-category/boat-plans/

U.S. Coast Guard Evaluation – 22′ BARTENDER
30 October, 1958 S82
To: Commander, 13th Coast Guard District (o) Via: Commander, CG Group Yaquina Bay (Newport)
Subj: Evaluation of CG-22103 Motorboat Dory as requested by CCGD13 (o)

1. CG-22103 is a fast, light-weight, double-ended, self-bailing, planing type boat capable of speeds up to 30 mph. This boat has a draft of 8 inches and will maneuver very quickly. All the above characteristics make it extremely useful in fast running rough water at river entrances.

2. For its size CG-22103 is very seaworthy. On 23 August, 1958 CG-22103 was taken into breaking swells of 15 to 25 ft heights on the Siletz river bar. Six breaking swells of this size were taken. Each of the first three breaking swells were taken at idle speed, bow into the breaking swell, resulting in the bow being thrown to starboard, the boat healing onto its side and water covering the boat entirely. Each time the boat skidded with the break approx. 100 ft then freed itself. The fourth and fifth breaking swell was taken at half throttle. The results were almost the same as occurred on the first three breaking swells except the boat kept its heading and was not thrown on its side but was carried backward. The sixth breaking swell was taken at full speed. The bow was caught under the curl of the break but the speed carried CG-22103 on through the breaking swell and out into open sea.

3. As each of the six breaking swells hit CG-22103 the after cockpit was completely filled. The few seconds between breakers CG-22103 would completely bail herself through her 14 scuppers. the only damage to CG-22103 which occurred from the six breaking swells was the deck seam around the cabin was loosened enough to allow a small amount of water to seep through.

4. CG-22103 has been operated by this unit in both the open sea and shallow water under various sea conditions. At all speeds this boat operates very well. When running before a following sea very little shearing or broaching occurs. When running into a large sea at a fast speed this boat has a tendency to hold by the stern after crossing over the swell which allows this boat to drop into the trough with little or no pounding. When running broadside to a sea this boat holds a good steady course without any shearing.

5. It is the opinion of this unit after using this boat underway a total of 611.3 hrs. that for its size CG-22103 is capable of doing jobs far beyond the capabilities of other types of boats. Also due to its seaworthiness and the characteristics listed in para. 1 of this report, this type boat can be used for numerous jobs throughout the Coast Guard. Also due to the small size of this boat and its ease of handling, the time required to train personnel to operate this boat is very slight. Anyone with boat experience can operate this boat under normal sea conditions.

Giles M. Vanderhoof, BM1 Officer in Charge

Murray,
Bartenders are very light. Of course light = planing performance and it needed that for what it was intended.

Rustybarge,
Why would anybody want to make a boat look like it was it was steel?

Rustybarge,
Why would anybody want to make a boat look like it was it was steel?

For the same reason companies design fiberglass boats to look like they're made out of wood. Like Grand Banks.

There may be design chacteristics of a boat that was made of steel that some people like but they don't want a steel boat and the attendant maintenance a steel boat requires-- dry hull interior, periodic painting, etc.

Here is a pretty nice boat that turned up where I am anchored, towing a good sort of fishing doey as well.

Elington, don't know any of her history but should find out soon.

Tidahapah,
That is a very capable set of vessels there- looking at the vertical "slope to the inside" near the transom my guess is FD hull??

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Wow! I finely have arrived at the point of having found MY favorite and lusted for boat!!:whistling: No matter the views of any body else, this is now my only 'Dream Boat' given unlimited wealth:thumb:. In a heart beat this would be in the harbor here in Ketchikan as fast as the check would clear!!! Truely a man's boat that a woman would love.:flowers: The photos alone cause increased heart beating!!:smitten:

Al-Ketchkan

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...2876568/Unknown/WA/United-States#.VgRGUstViko

What happened? I can not now access Yacht World site for this boat or the boat commented on in the current Ferro Cement forum or the site alone for any viewing. My computer?:banghead: Sorry really a beautiful boat not to share with photos.:ermm:

Al-Ketchikan

The link works for me, Ed. Yeah.....I can see the man himself (Ed Monk Sr.) smiling at the wheel of that one! That's a home aboard. So, what's holding you back?

Al, you better buy that before I do. She's gorgeous.

Damn that's purdy...

....but varnish scares me.

If I were single, I'd sell the house and move aboard that boat in a heartbeat. 230 grand is really not a lot of money once the house is gone. Ya, there would be some maintenance, but it would be so worth it keeping that one ship shape.

Steve

I like this one. Shows some imagination and willingness to try something new. The first of three Zumwalt-class destroyers (built in Bath, Maine). It's said that the third one will have a rail gun in place of one of the two forward turret guns.

Attachments

• Zumwalt class destroyer.jpg
    Zumwalt class destroyer.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 106
If I were single, I'd sell the house and move aboard that boat in a heartbeat. 230 grand is really not a lot of money once the house is gone. Ya, there would be some maintenance, but it would be so worth it keeping that one ship shape.

Steve

It SOUNDS like light maintenance is all that is needed :). Current owner saw her being built. What a vessel!!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Marin-I just read the other day that the Navy was cancelling the third Zumwalt class boat and only the two currently built would be in service.

What's a dutch flybridge?
It is an area some boats have forward of the pilothouse windows protected by a short wall.
(at least, that's my understanding)
Never saw one with a helm before.

Attachments

• 5358444_20150820111342985_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5358444_20150820111342985_1_XLARGE.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 5358444_20150820110713026_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5358444_20150820110713026_1_XLARGE.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Loafs and Fishes,
I was aboard that boat 2 or 3 years ago. Very very nice boat. Was for sale at the time. Very nice and tidy below too.

alsesnloggers @ 2368 - I get it! - LMAO

Back
Top Bottom