My Office View

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441562006.551421.jpgGKs and the admiral and I. Success at the office

Wifey B: I can't believe what absolutely positively magnificent wonderful sea conditions we've had up and down the east coast the last several weeks. We haven't seen more than 2' in freaking ages. Not going to Bahamas, cruising around home and not in New England. It was late June last time was bad because a nice charter dude on here was wondering if he'd be able to go out that weekend. Prophetic words from him were, "this time of year the bad weather only lasts a few days." :D

We spent the day in the office, not even taking advantage of it....And our office didn't have your view.

Yes, the weather has been so good so long for us I hate to even comment on it. It was a lovely run from Annapolis to Solomans today.

Picture not as calm as last time Bill painted it. Off Cape Charles, 20-25 knot winds 7-9' at 8 seconds.

From Annapolis to St. Michaels, 15 knot winds with 20 knot gusts, but waves only 2'.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443702017.982454.jpg

Another boat beat us to the load dock, so we decided to treat ourselves to a spot of anchoring while we wait. It's easy to be jaded when you work in a place like this, but every so often I still notice how pretty the Lakes can be.

That's really nice.

How long have you been a barge/tug captain? (What's the correct term?)

Seems like a cool job.

Yes, the weather has been so good so long for us I hate to even comment on it. It was a lovely run from Annapolis to Solomans today.

Have you moved your office back south where it's safely out of Joaquin's path? Home in Fort Lauderdale would be out of it's path. We just left NC for SC tucked away in the ICW so should be south of any major hit, just lots of rain. In fact, we have a side trip to Charlotte, NC and flooding expected that far inland. We actually are doing something we've never before done in taking the ICW from Southport to Myrtle Beach. We always go outside.

What a cool picture of Coal Harbour.
When (time of year) was that taken?
Depending on the answer, I may have another ? or 2.

That was May 2013. Here's one from Dec 2008 when we had snow.

Attachments

• Coal Harbour  (2).jpg
    Coal Harbour (2).jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 51
That's really nice.

How long have you been a barge/tug captain? (What's the correct term?)

Seems like a cool job.

Naa, Im just the first mate. I just got my master's ticket earlier this year, but I haven't sailed on it yet. I've been sailing commercially for almost 10 years. It's a good gig, overall. The pay is good, but the hours are lousy (6 on, 6 off for thirty days straight.) I'm away from home a lot, but when I am home, I usually get weeks of free time, which is great. As often as not, my view looks like this:

(no that's not a black and white picture...)

Attachments

• Chernobyl.jpg
    Chernobyl.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 46
That view is not as pretty! ?

I met a cool tow captain on the Mississippi when we were waiting to lock off the river. The river current was at flood stage and I was having trouble holding position. He saw me floating around in circles like an idiot and let me tie off to his tug and wait on the lock for an hour or so.

Is that 6 hour shifts you're talking about? So you are on the boat for 30 days? What do you do when not on shift?

Last edited:
Have you moved your office back south where it's safely out of Joaquin's path? Home in Fort Lauderdale would be out of it's path. We just left NC for SC tucked away in the ICW so should be south of any major hit, just lots of rain. In fact, we have a side trip to Charlotte, NC and flooding expected that far inland. We actually are doing something we've never before done in taking the ICW from Southport to Myrtle Beach. We always go outside.

We left Portsmouth VA yesterday at 10:30 am, ran offshore around Hatteras and just fueled up at Bald Head Island at noon or so today. We are back offshore running to Savannah. Wind and seas at our back for the most part seas less than 4' with some swell coming in off the port side. Nice ride so far.

Are you in the 130'? What does it draw? We draw 7' or so, so I'm hesitant to run the ICW.

I'll amend that last, seas are now running up to 4' but still on our stern. And still a nice ride.

If the build to much well just head inshore where they are smaller. Trying to save some time by running point to point and not hugging the coast line at this time.

Last edited:
I'll amend that last, seas are now running up to 4' but still on our stern. And still a nice ride.

If the build to much well just head inshore where they are smaller. Trying to save some time by running point to point and not hugging the coast line at this time.

We only have 5' draft on the boat we're in plus were heading to Myrtle Beach regardless so Little River Inlet would have taken us inside.

Your timing is perfect as each of the areas you're leaving is going to pick up behind you.

We left Bald Head at 7:00 this morning. All docked and on dry land now in Myrtle Beach. Running to Charlotte for a couple of days, leaving Myrtle Beach on Monday. Then heading home on a delivery type run.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445812506.119779.jpgRed skies at night, Get on your trawler..... Right!?

B and B
What type of boat do you have? I'm sure you mentioned it in the past but I missed it.
He has a fast boat that's elusive. So maybe a stealth vessel.
stealth_boat.jpg
Just kidding.

Seriously though, I've asked before and it seems that that information is classified.

He has a fast boat that's elusive. So maybe a stealth vessel.
View attachment 45834
Just kidding.

Seriously though, I've asked before and it seems that that information is classified.

Stealth boat would be fun. Maybe some model built for military normally but built this time for pleasure could be interesting.

We have nothing extremely fast and nothing extremely slow. No Fountain's to do 90 mph and nothing 6 knots.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom