January

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColonyCove

Vessel Name
The Blue Comet
Vessel Make
Nordic Tugs/ NT32
What it takes to get through January is what it takes to get through life.

- Vivian Swift
When Wanderers Cease To Roam

It helps to be in a nice place ...

Attachments

• dsc01248.jpg
    dsc01248.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64
January is nothing. Where*I live it's february that's gives up the 20, 30 below.

SD

skipperdude wrote:

January is nothing. Where*I live it's february that's gives up the 20, 30 below.

SD
SkipperI hear you. It's typically the same here, in the sense that Februaray is worse. Not as bad as you get however. But no one can beat us for generally gray, damp days.

A little something for you guys in the North.

Doesn't the cartoon "Dilbert" have a character named "Topper" who tops every one's story?

Around here it is not January, nor February, nor even March. Its April, when winter should be beating feet fast, but it's perversely and tenaciously hanging on. T. S. Eliot had it right. Except that there are no lilacs breeding here in April. Just snow, cold and, if you are lucky, a muddy thaw.

Moonstruck wrote:

A little something for you guys in the North.

You guys are killing us. If we could get the snow cleared, we'd head out of this hell hole.*
biggrin.gif

We don't call it a thaw we call it break up.

We even have things called Breakup boots.
In the fall when snow hits the mountains we call it termination dust.

SD

Moonstruck wrote:A little something for you guys in the North.
I know we don't have near the great cruising grounds that you guys up north have but here's today's weather forecast for my area.

SeaHorse II wrote:

I know we don't have near the great cruising grounds that you guys up north have but here's today's weather forecast for my area.

Seahorse the beauty of your area is that the weather doesn't vary that much any season.

SeaHorse II wrote:

Isn't that the same one for any other week as well, they just change the date?*
smile.gif

Today was one of those January days.* My 22 year old daughter had a near miss on black ice in her new car going to work. My elderly Mom burned a pot of chicken on her stove while she blissfully read in her Sunroom as the house filled with smoke.* And the Admiral and I sat in our cosy cabin on "Adagio"*listening to the new stereo and watching the ducks on the ice outside our windows.* The roofers were shoveling snow off the condo building across the basin, and the Admiral said " Remember when you used to work outside in the winter?"*** " Yes, those winter's used to seem like they would never end", but*in reality*they did in a flash and soon this one will be a memory also.

We all survived another Day of fun in the NORTH!

JD wrote:
Isn't that the same one for any other week as well, they just change the date?*
smile.gif
It looks like it !* I was on the boat today, intending to take it out but the weather
was sooo nice, I broke open a beer and chilled out in the slip.

Attachments

• img_3329.jpg
    img_3329.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 84
SeaHorse II wrote:I know we don't have near the great cruising grounds that you guys up north have but here's today's weather forecast for my area.
See, to me that forecast is staggeringly boring.* I cannot be paid enough to live in that kind of an environment again.* The other day it snowed in Seattle.* Today it's raining.* Next week sometime it will be sunny and cold.* Then it will rain again.* Then it will be windy.* Then Mt. Baker will blow and we'll*have a few days of volcanic ash.* Then I'll drive 15 minutes from my house and fly fish for steelhead in a nice clear*river while it's snowing.* To me, this makes life sooooo much more interesting than day after day of the same old thing.

Good thing we don't all like the same thing because we'd all be living in the same place.* Talk about crowded anchorages.....

Carey wrote:
SkipperI hear you. It's typically the same here, in the sense that Februaray is worse. Not as bad as you get however. But no one can beat us for generally gray, damp days.

Carey, talk to Marin.* He'll make you feel all better about it.

SeaHorse II wrote:

It looks like it !* I was on the boat today, intending to take it out but the weather
was sooo nice, I broke open a beer and chilled out in the slip.

Seahorse, you just don't seem to get it.* Don't you know that uniform grey is better than uniform blue?* My goodness.
smile.gif

Yes. I was in southern Calif in the Navy * *...in the early 60s. Except when the Santa Anna was blow'in outside it was just like inside. it just smelled different outside. The weather was like canned music. Marin would like it here. It changes even faster and to a greater degree than Washington. We had a high of 15 today and are expecting a foot of snow tomorrow.*It rarely rains for more than a few days and sun can always be expected in a day or two.
The imperfection in our weather here is that it's not often really calm. In Juneau it was calm more often but we don't have those Taku winds. To get down the street you need to make use of all the parking meters, cars and telephone poles and wait for lulls to go one to another. And you better have your mooring lines twang tight in the harbor. Also in Juneau it's not unusual to rain steady for a month or two. But here in Thorne Bay the weather changes like the pictures in slot machines. Here's the ramp to the harbor in the snow.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 324.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 324.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 85
I'll readily admit that the weather down here is boring compared to the PNW and we don't have near the scenic cruising you guys have up there. We must be content to wale watch this time of year, cruise San Diego Bay and stop at a few of our favorite eateries, fish in the South Bay (about May) for Calicos, Spotties, Sand bass, Halibut and the occasional Bone Fish, while we wait for the "Long Fins" to arrive off shore. Then, when the water warms up, it's Yellow Fin time and the* pelagics (Marlin) appear. We compete with the California Sea Lions for space at the bait barges before the sun comes up for a successful day's fishing south of Point Loma. We go to the boat shows in shorts and swap lies with the guys who fly in for the festivities. Following that is Trawlerfest and the opportunity to meet people we see on this forum. Summer arrives and the temperature soars to 80 but still to cold for a swim by most folks so it's time for marina hopping up the coast and explore the channel islands on the way. Fall eventually comes and brings with it more of that "boring weather" that draws the bass and halibut back down the channel to the "nursery". The grand kids arrive for their annual sojourn to the "nursery" and no one ever gets skunked. Winter is now here and the wales arrive, on there way to southern Baja and that just about completes our year. At this point in time, the cycle begins again and we dream of more pleasant surroundings.

Yes, you guys have it great up north but trawler life here is not all that bad. Just my
twocents.gif
worth.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 13th of January 2011 07:58:03 PM

Our weather is great. If only it lasted more than 4 months a year this area would be heaven. This is not my idea of heaven. "Snowpile 1. Snowblower 0." Not good boating weather today. Lend us some of of your SoCal stuff please Walt.

Attachments

• dscn0122.jpg
    dscn0122.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 66
Peter,
Have just made a quick call into Dampier harbour after out running away from Cyclone Vince.
At least I got to call Gayle and she did not get flooded.
But it has been pretty disasterous all round.
Downloaded the latest Coastal Passage and it had a report on the floods in*Maryborough and Bundy, boats everywhere.
*http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/index.html
Heading back out again now and it looks like there could be another cyclone forming in the Kimberleys.

I was home for the 74 floods and they stick in my mind like they were yesterday.
It's hard being away when something like this happens as one feels completely useless

Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Friday 14th of January 2011 06:03:49 AM

December and January is when we have tide up to 14 ft and with all the rain 15+ ft to the point the water is with on a foot of the parking lot.* Very odd strange to see the Eagle towing over the dock.* End of January during the Seattle boat show is usually when we get the coldest and most snow.* Last years it was a Blizzard which if great as it give boater a change to see/fell how the boat is on cold windy weather.* Most boat over 40 ft have a diesel heater so they are nice comfy and dry.*

I like the season, and do not mind the rain/snow but could do with out the wind.* Usually after a storm there is a few nice days which allow you to get ready for the next storm.* Sail boaters have to be the craziest boaters as they go out in the stuff and think its fun bundled up in their cold rain gear with ice icicles hanging from the nose.* Fisher people are not far behind sail boaters.* Most morning I standing at the galley window in my pink bunny slipper having my morning cup of coffee as they motor by and they call us Live aboard crazy?*

Back
Top Bottom