Authority Of The USCG Aux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't tell from the resolution of that pic, but I can note that hand on firearm isn't the same as finger on trigger.

-Chris
:thumb:

As the states and locals take on more varied roles, some of the USCGAUX roles become redundant...especially those out on the water, inspections and training.

The absolute worst jobs will be the ones the USCG still will want them to do....ie office/ administrative support....hopefully volunteers will still rally to the cry.

The fishing vessel examination program had one or two guys that were superb in the area I was responsible for...that would certainly continue as I saw no state or local interest in it.

Fellow I sold the 'Tenacious' to required a boat inspection for the insurance quote. He approached the local USCG and was told that private boats were assigned to the USCG Aux. Well there is no working local USCG Aux active in Ketchikan to the point of finding a representative. Now on the other hand, were the USCG RIB boys and girls out on the water doing inspections on private boats all is well. So, my old boat owner then proceeded to patrol in front of the USCG base begging by being in their area, to have one board. To the best of my knowledge it didn't happen. Funny to hear of his efforts!! I suggested he have a fishing rod in play, that often is 'bait' for the USCG patrol boat crews. We enjoyed the laugh over the efforts.

One of our long standing posters who is a marine insurance broker in Seattle, having been advised, provided insurance without the inspection.
All ended well,

What knowledge I have of those who were or if still, members of the Aux are well trained and thoughtful folks who have or had a reputation of well thought of Aux.
Al-Ketchikan

Fellow I sold the 'Tenacious' to required a boat inspection for the insurance quote.
Neither the USCG nor the coast Guard Aux do inspections for insurance quotes. Neither one of them are qualified to do this type of inspection.

I think there is a lot of ego play here. I served in the army for 21 years so I don't really feel a rush by putting on the USCGAUX uniform. I do however wear it properly and in accordance with their regulations. They want us to give the image of a professional organization. I can understand that. I have no doubt in my mind as to what my role is in the auxiliary. I do vessel safety checks, I put boating safety material in libraries, boat shops, luncheonettes, etc. I do these things because I believe in the mission of the organization. If I can stand a radio watch at a Coast Guard station which will let that active duty Coast Guardsmen have some time off, I'm happy to do it. As far as the boating education and vessel safety checks, I do them because I like making boaters smarter and safer and with few exceptions, I'm never happier than I am when I'm around boaters talking about boating.
Flotilla 16-08
Shark River Station
Avon, NJ

Last edited:
I think there is a lot of ego play here. I served in the army for 21 years so I don't really feel a rush by putting on the USCGAUX uniform. I do however wear it properly and in accordance with their regulations. They want us to give the image of a professional organization. I can understand that. I have no doubt in my mind as to what my role is in the auxiliary. I do vessel safety checks, I put boating safety material in libraries, boat shops, luncheonettes, etc. I do these things because I believe in the mission of the organization. If I can stand a radio watch at a Coast Guard station which will let that active duty Coast Guardsmen have some time off, I'm happy to do it. As far as the boating education and vessel safety checks, I do them because I like making boaters smarter and safer and with few exceptions, I'm never happier than I am when I'm around boaters talking about boating.
Flotilla 16-08
Shark River Station
Avon, NJ

Awesome post, and thank you for all of your service:thumb:

OD

In the past the folks I knew that joined the CG aux only stayed long enough to get an ID card , so they could shop in a base PX.

In the past the folks I knew that joined the CG aux only stayed long enough to get an ID card , so they could shop in a base PX.

IMHO the USCG Aux has a lot to offer those that join, both young and "not" so young.:thumb: Like anything else, you get out what you put in.
But I'm not sure I'd join for an ID card:rofl:

We have MacDill AFB here, and two USCG Exchanges within 30/45 of me, and with the travel time/cost and traffic, I can still usually get a better deal at Sam's Club, and not have to dick around with base security and such.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom