What do you do to keep in shape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
A thread was started talking about "when will you pack it in?" It made me think of what I'm doing, what we can do to delay our diminishing physical abilities as long as possible.

Like most things in my life I didn't start until meeting my wife. I was in good condition but more by accident than anything. Obviously what one can do changes with age. We are not workout fanatics however so it has to be things we enjoy.

1. Walk. To me there's not an easier or better exercise and it happens simply. We arrive somewhere and we walk to explore. Whether it's NYC or Chesapeake City. Also, it's a form of exercise we can do always. If we've been cruising all day, the first thing we do upon docking is go for a walk. Now, I do not jog. The pounding on hard pavement is something I don't think is good on one's joints. If I'm housebound and can't get out and walk, then I do walk on a treadmill.

2. Sing. I know that sounds odd. First it brings us pleasure which is always good. However, to sing properly requires good breathing techniques and we attribute being in excellent respiratory health to singing.

3. Tennis. It's our most frequent sport and we love it. While tennis elbow is a potential injury to be wary of, it's otherwise not tough on the body. By comparison, golf doesn't give the exercise plus is much tougher on your body, especially your back.

4. Basketball. This might be the questionable one but it's a good endurance sport and we take some precautions. We don't play outdoors on courts built to just trip one up. We also tape our ankles anytime we play.

5. Diet. Our diet is good and bad. We do eat red meats regularly. I'm sure we eat a lot of other things that are on the bad list. We aren't willing to cut out all the joy of food. However, we've made easy sacrifices. We don't eat many fried foods, really just fried chicken. We drink no coffee, tea or soda. All we drink on a daily basis is water. We don't smoke. We don't consume alcohol daily, perhaps once a month on average. We don't eat french fries. Just cut them out and don't miss them. A burger with no fries and no soft drink is a lot better than one with all that. We don't eat bread daily. We will eat cold cuts but no bread, hamburgers with no buns, hot dogs with no buns. Now, at a nice restaurant, we'll have some bread. What we haven't done is sacrifice chocolate and sweets and ice cream. But we minimize carbs in other ways and we way daily and if we see our weight changing we tighten down for a week or so.

6. Laugh a lot and play. Just enjoy. My wife just asked "what kind of play" and I'm just leaving it at play.

7. Sleep. Should probably be first on the list. We try to get 8 hours sleep nightly. Yes, I once got by with much less but that was due to a sleep disorder and while I was convinced for much of the time it wasn't impacting me, it was. I'm sure some of you will say you do fine on 5 hours per night. Let me take you to a lab and I can prove to you that while you do fine, you don't do as well as you would with more. The afternoon drop off in functioning is there.

8. Prevention and reaction. We get vaccines, we avoid contagious people. Then we've already made it a practice that if something is wrong or just seems wrong, we immediately get medical care. As you develop conditions over the years, avoiding acute exacerbations is often the key. The number of unnecessary pneumonia deaths each year is staggering. We wear masks and gloves in dusty or dirty environments. If there are any of you over 50 who haven't gotten a pneumonia vaccine, go get one. Get a flu shot. Listen to Terry Bradshaw and get a Shingles vaccine. Also if you're over 50, get a colonoscopy. Last, know your health. You're in charge of managing your health and medical care, not your doctors. Get copies of everything, ask questions. Know why you're taking every medication and the alternatives. Know the side effects. Learn to read and understand your lab results. Don't let the doctor just tell you the results of tests or labs, you get a copy and review the reports. We also don't try to do things we shouldn't. Don't lift more than we should or in ways we shouldn't. As you age, each injury such as hurting your back or twisting your knee, takes more out of you. One leads to others. For instance a back injury prevents one often from doing any kind of exercise so one quickly sees an overall decline.

We have some older friends who live on our property and are very close family to us. They say we're a pain in the a... We say we're selfish, and we want to keep them around us and healthy as long as possible. Now one may do everything perfect and still get a terminal illness or major injury. We just try to improve the odds.

There's not a thing we do for our health that makes us less happy or that we dislike doing. We're not going on the infomercial as the couple selling exercise equipment or some magic elixir. We don't go overboard on our health but we do try to take some steps.

Me:
I walk, swim and row. When in my house, I also lift weights.

...in time, my wife just bought TRX to use in the boat

Attachments

• trx2-300x200.jpg
    trx2-300x200.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 732
Most people who take upma gym membership give up after a couple of months; its tedious and boring.

I discovered playing darts.lol!

It involves: stretching, walking, turning, balancing; all accomplished inside, whatever the weather.

16 times world champion Phil Taylor is nearly 60 and can still beat the newcomers hands down, so its a life long challenge for everyone and tremendous fun.

Walking is great in good weather, an inside sport when its raining.

I eat healthy, watch the weight and stay active. Also your gene pool has a lot to do with it. We do not cook so mostly fruit, raw vegetables, deli meat cheeses, salads to maintain the weigh and figure, daily moderate exercise, Try to live a simple stress free live, and take the time to enjoy life and one another. Heck just working on the boat and up down the dock is good exercise.

Keeping the boat in shape keeps me in shape. I like to think we take care of each other :)

Can't believe I left out swimming, although with us it barely counts because we don't do a lot of vigorous swimming.

As soon as I manage to get in shape, I'll let you know.

I try to eat a cheeseburger at least twice a week with fries of course.:D

I try to eat a cheeseburger at least twice a week with fries of course.:D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I keep in shape by checking my weight every morning and making an adjustment in my diet. Today I'm 3 pounds below my minimum, so I had to adjust by having an IN and OUT double-double to be followed by ice cream later on.

I stay in better than average shape, just being active. I don't "work out".

I usually walk about 5 -10 km per day, just to get around, or walk the dog. Right now, I'm doing a landscaping job at home. Rather than getting a bobcat in, I'm using a pick, shovel & wheelbarrow to move about 10 tons of fill. I chop firewood, ride my bike, play tennis, ski backcountry whenever I get the chance, and practice yoga in my "engine room" to remain flexible. And I have fun.

I eat whenever I'm hungry; usually simple food made from scratch. We avoid ingredients we can't pronounce. I drink beer and wine whenever I feel like it; I drink plenty of good coffee.
I usually try to avoid seeing a doctor unless something's broken. I don't get vaccines, but rarely ever get a cold or the flu.

So far it's worked for me.

For us, it is eat healthy and enjoy the fun stuff in moderation. For exercise, it is walking. I walk to and from work, to the store, and on and on. We both lost weight when we moved to the city. My wife drives to and from work, but is on her feet all day in the classroom. Just last weekend a bunch of other women she was talking to asked her how many days per week she works out - answer, none in a gym. She doesn't jog regularly, but does volunteer for Girls on the Run, which has her doing some light jogging twice a week. I hear people at the office talk about joining a gym, the price and finding the time, but they are discussing it IN THE ELEVATOR! How about take the stairs to start . . .

Keeping the boat in shape keeps me in shape. I like to think we take care of each other :)

Crawling in, under, around, up and down, inside and outside our boats and our sports cars for inspection and maintenance, doing all the "honey do's" my wife has for me daily, maintaining our dirt home, it's systems and yard, playing with the dog and strenuously exercising my elbow at cocktail time keeps me in fairly decent physical and mental shape, although my doctor doesn't always necessarily agree. (But what the heck does he know).

I do what I've been doing for the last 40-some years: help a film-now-HD-video crew shlepp 600-plus pounds of equipment all over the planet.

Attachments

• GOPR7002.new.01.jpg
    GOPR7002.new.01.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 92
  • GOPR7020.new.01.jpg
    GOPR7020.new.01.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 100
  • GOPR7090.new.01.jpg
    GOPR7090.new.01.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I did walk 2 to 3 miles a day until a bulging disc in my neck temporarily put a stop to it. We are looking at the options for that. My son that has flexible hours usually meets me at the gym 2 to 3 times per week for a workout and steam. I have also joined a 24 hour fitness center one block from the marina in Fort Pierce. I sure do miss my walks. I live in a walkable neighborhood with a lot going on. I have put on some weight since having to stop walking.

Since January. . .3 nights a week, full body workouts at the local gym. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less (injury or time constraints). Seems to be working, people that haven't seen me in a long time freak a bit when they realize who I am :whistling:

Oh, and eating healthy :thumb:

I believe keeping fit is important for enjoying our boating lifestyle. I often find myself in tight spaces, crawling in the engine compartment, and performing other acts that would be hampered by excess weight and a "gut". I've been lifting weights since I was a teen and use a stationary. I also walk often and take the stairs instead of an elevator.

My mother exercised by walking from the house to the car. She turned 99 this past August. She's lost her hearing and vision but physically in good shape and takes no meds other than eye drops. Sadly her cognition is slowing down. I suggest we all follow her exercise plan but up the carrots in our diet.

Howard

Healthy sex:D (Nobody wants to say it):hide: And a couple of natural items that I don't push on anybody, works for us period:flowers:.

Al-Ketchikan:rofl:

Healthy sex:D (Nobody wants to say it):hide: And a couple of natural items that I don't push on anybody, works for us period:flowers:.

Al-Ketchikan:rofl:
Al--
Now your bragging:blush:

Healthy sex:D (Nobody wants to say it):hide:

Wifey B: Yes, yes, yes. It actually does have many health benefits. Plus it's fun. :D Google "Health Benefits of Sex". :blush: I better say no more.

I can eat a whole lot and not gain a pound. So I eat at my leisure. :D

That's the plan Stan.

That will change, starting in about 15 years.

Yep, but that's a long ways out! I don't really eat A LOT. But sometimes I will go a little crazy on a buffet, but not an everyday occurrence.

I monitor my weight by taking the scale about once annually. Meanwhile, I'm at the tightest fitting on my belt, and the pants keep wanting to fall. Thinking of getting suspenders, a shorter belt, or narrower pants. That's fine. Won't begin to worry unless I lose another 50 pounds (lost 10 in the last year, another 20 would be great).

I will hum a few bars and you guys can catch up

"Its hard to be humble when your per~fit in every way":whistling:

Al-Ketchikan

True Al- but we're doin' the best that we can...

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom