Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that lots of us here are fuddy-duddy traditionalists, but when you see these radical nautical "sculptures", do you ever wonder how it would look if you just chopped the gingerbread off of it? No disrespect to the Architect or his creative effort, ....just wonderin".

That is a phenomenal improvement! And you have to imagine that the views from onboard would be dramatically better.

Keith

I quite like the "radical" yacht designs that have been coming out, like Steve Jobs' boat and the round one pictured above. Mainly because they're different and are trying something new. Far, far better and more interesting than the bland, melted plastic, running shoe look that has dominated the recreational boat market for the last twenty or thirty years.

At least the "radical" boats are interesting to look at. I don't even notice the Bayliner-Carver-Sea Ray-Ocean Alexander-Meridian-the list-goes-on boats in our harbor anymore. They are just white blobs that all look the same and don't even register anymore other than they are there so don't run into them.

I have seen that boat in several mags. I am not that fond of those designs. As Heal showed, a lot of that is just fluff added to a fairly basic design.

On the Northern Marine, I have never liked the huge shift in the sheer from the bow down to the salon level. That has been a consistent design feature of theirs on all their models. It is very awkward lookingto me and really accentuates the height f the bow. It actually is quite odd because you would expect a lot of interior room, but when we looked at a 65' before we bought our KK, the interior was really cut up and not very roomy. The 65' only had two staterooms and did not look to have room for a third as an option.

Here's Ace. What a weird looking back end.

I definitely tend to be more of a traditionalist when it comes to boat design, and usually don't care for stuff like this. But this one... I don't mind this one. The steps look kinda cool. It would probably take half an hour to fall all the way down them, though. Who's got time for all that?

Art;
Any of your crowd have a 40 or 44 Tolly with gas?
I saw one with twin 454s for about half the price of diesels.
Could buy a lot of gas for 70 grand.

Some.

Yup - Gas engines really reduce purchase cost. Good gassers can be good power plants... so can good diesels. Both type engines must be in good condition or expenses mount. However... gas engine expenses are usually about 1/4th to 1/5th that of diesels.

IMHO - In boats 40' and under gas engines are OK... much over 40' and diesel is needed.

ocean-emerald-norman-foster-design-yacht-split-2011.jpg

OCEAN EMERALD - Yacht: current position and details | IMO 9562520, MMSI 235071889, Callsign 2CDS7 | Registered in United Kingdom - AIS Marine Traffic

Here's a live webcam of one of these designs; a floating hotel in Gibraltar in the Mediterranean .

http://www.gibraltar.webcam/

Not sure how many will find this interesting, but there's a Pilgrim 43 for sale. I believe there are only 4 of them out there, so it's a rare opportunity. I'm not affiliated with these folks at all, just an admirer. I'd move aboard this boat tomorrow if I could.

1993 Pilgrim PLAY 43 Pilot House Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...79715/Rock-Hall/MD/United-States#.Vfqo3f-FPmR

Interesting design. I need aerial view to get my head fully around the Pilgrim's (inset??) fly bridge. Thanks for showing.

Last edited:
This sad little 319-foot tub is lowering property values near the docks of Venice. According to Wikipedia, it's owned by the billionaire widow of a German department store magnate. With her 52-ft beam, 16-ft draft and 26-knot top speed Carinthia VII can carry 12 passengers in style, attended by her crew of 28!!!

We were walking along the docks last week and came across this and some other head-turners that I'll post in the near future.

BCFish- The two white tugs are located in Ketchikan- Boyer Towing. The longer one is a mine sweeper now called the 'Air~Snipe'. The second behind is the 'Brenda~H'.
All of Boyer Towing tugs are white and maintained when possible, to yacht conditions considering them work boats.

The blue hulled boat you mentioned and wondered is a church group from B.C.Canada. They come up each summer and hold prayer gatherings in various harbors. Use to be in remote logging camps, now in towns. Often as you walk by some of the ladies on board will have fresh baked cookies. I see them each year here in Ketchikan as they pass through and then in Wrangell. Really a well constructed boat.

Al-Ketchikan

BCFish-
The blue hulled boat you mentioned and wondered is a church group from B.C.Canada. They come up each summer and hold prayer gatherings in various harbors. Use to be in remote logging camps, now in towns. Often as you walk by some of the ladies on board will have fresh baked cookies. I see them each year here in Ketchikan as they pass through and then in Wrangell. Really a well constructed boat.

Al-Ketchikan

Been aboard that boat a number of times w friends. In Thorne Bay of course. Don't remember any names but nice people .. not a Trump moment. He loves to say that.

Beautiful house .. especially the glass work. All of us could be that classy if we had the bucks and good taste .. or could hire it.

The italians have real flair for design. There are so few pretty classic motorboat/cabincruiser designs from the 60's, this surely is one of them.

The wood trim makes all the difference.

Russian Gazillionaire builds this:

460.jpg

There are so many achingly beautiful sailing vessels out there. The sort of boats that define romance, and make you want to quit your job, burn all of your shoes, and just take off for the horizon.

This. This is not that boat. This boat made me throw up in my mouth a little.

There are so many achingly beautiful sailing vessels out there. The sort of boats that define romance, and make you want to quit your job, burn all of your shoes, and just take off for the horizon.

I hear you. A couple of my favorites: Westward and Adix.

Attachments

• Westward.jpg
    Westward.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Adix.jpg
    Adix.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 98
Maybe this one

Attachments

• leslie-nielsen-anne-francis-robby-the-robot-forbidden-planet.jpg
    leslie-nielsen-anne-francis-robby-the-robot-forbidden-planet.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 141
1964 Baglietto; pretty!

Maybe the most appealing yacht I've seen of that size. I have to agree with Eric, that the glasswork is magic. Not a place for wannabe windows, for sure. I'd never Photoshop it, but it would be just as good without the upper pilothouse.

Last edited:
Larry it's the chine that ruins it for me.

The rest of the boat in magic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom