Boat travel to Cuba Ok'd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, I'd like to see the definition of "authorized," and what the process/cost is to get "authorized!"

Hmm, I'd like to see the definition of "authorized," and what the process/cost is to get "authorized!"

I take it you didn't bother to follow the links?

I take it you didn't bother to follow the links?

Read the whole thing. Here is the piece, especially in bold, that is not clear.

Travel –
Facilitating authorized travel and commerce, increasing contact between Americans and Cubans, and supporting civil society in Cuba:
​Transportation by vessel of authorized travelers – between the United States and Cuba only and without stops in third countries – will be authorized by general license. Certain related lodging services aboard vessels used for such travel will also be authorized.
License Exception Aircraft, Vessels, and Spacecraft (AVS) will authorize temporary sojourns to Cuba of certain categories of vessels. Eligible categories of vessels are cargo vessels for hire for use in the transportation of items; passenger vessels for hire for use in the transportation of passengers and/or items; and recreational vessels that are used in connection with travel authorized by the Treasury.
License Exception AVS will authorize aircraft on temporary sojourn to remain in Cuba for up to 7 consecutive days and authorizes vessels on temporary sojourn to remain in Cuba for up to 14 consecutive days.
Close relatives will be allowed to visit or accompany authorized travelers for certain additional activities. In the January changes, OFAC permitted close relatives to join visits related to official government business and certain educational activities, and to visit additional family members residing in Cuba. Close relatives now also will be allowed to visit or accompany authorized travelers for additional educational activities, journalistic activity, professional research, and religious activities, as well as activities related to humanitarian projects and activities of private foundations or certain research or educational institutes. For purposes of this provision, a close relative is defined as someone related to a person by blood, marriage, or adoption – and who is no more than three generations removed from that person or a common ancestor with that person.
All authorized travelers will be allowed to open and maintain bank accounts in Cuba in order to access funds for authorized transactions while in Cuba.

Last edited:
The challenge is facilities- we've (insurance) been looking into the "what if" side of the house- where the vessel would get repaired, logistics in the claims process, etc.

As I read the announcement it means only that if you were otherwise authorized to go to Cuba you can now go by boat whereas before an authorized person was required to go by plane.

The rules have not yet changed about spending money in Cuba without being an authorized person.

Cuba rules ease

FYI, from Soundings Trade Only:

VIDEO: New rules in effect for Cuban relations
Posted on September 21st, 2015
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Obama administration eased rules Friday for U.S. citizens wishing to travel to Cuba or do business with its growing ranks of independent entrepreneurs, hoping to kindle greater economic freedom on the island.

The Treasury and Commerce departments told the Associated Press that regulations taking effect today simplify procedures for tourism, telephone and Internet investments, and money transfers to Cuba.

Authorized American citizens now will be able to travel by cruise ship or ferry to Cuba without seeking specific authorization from the U.S. government, although a U.S. official told the Associated Press that a direct maritime route probably won’t be established until next year.

The official was not authorized to speak publicly on the process and demanded anonymity.

Many U.S. travelers still need to go on supervised group trips. Routine airline service has not satisfied various federal conditions. Cruise ships and ferries are still trying to finalize regular maritime routes with Cuban authorities.

Credit card and other companies still can’t transfer payments to Cuba. Telecommunications companies have not been able to set up shop and get equipment to the island 90 miles south of Florida. And Cuba’s government is not running its Internet connections anywhere near capacity levels.

The Friday rule change will increase the number and types of trips that American planes and boats can make to and from the island, according to The Hill.

People authorized to travel to Cuba will also be able to open and maintain bank accounts there and will be able to have their close relatives tag along for additional types of activities.

Having spent a couple of weeks in Cuba' last year my concern would be the accuracy of the charts, if any. Hate to run aground or strike a rock over there...no services for the boating crowd.

Greetings,
Mr. m's posts (#'s 2 & 4) still beg the question. What is involved in "authorization" and how much time and $$ will it take to become so?

It seems as if you are already authorized, or will be, to engage in any of the following, then you can go there using a recreational boat. But if not authorized to be engaged in any of the following you are not allowed to go - e.g. for pleasure purposes only.

Telecommunications & Internet-Based Services
Commercial and Financial Transactions
Physical Presence and Operations in Cuba
Support for the Cuban People
Civil Aviation Safety
Educational Activities
Humanitarian Projects
Supporting Diplomatic Relations

So the first step is to get authorized to preform those activities. Then, instead of having the fly in to do them as before, you can now go by boat, including a recreational boat. You just are not using the boat for recreation, just transportation to carry out that authorized activity.

Last edited:
Having spent a couple of weeks in Cuba' last year my concern would be the accuracy of the charts, if any. Hate to run aground or strike a rock over there...no services for the boating crowd.

The few times I was down there we used the Cuban hydrographic office charts and Calder's guide.

The coolest thing at the time about the Cuban charts was that they hand corrected and updated them on a light box from a master chart as you waited. And then signed off on them just like they did here back in the day.

Can't remember where I bought them but Russian navy charts of Cuba are excellent

Cruisers from everywhere BUT the US have been visiting Cuba uninterrupted since the revolution as before. Canadians, Europeans and people from the Caribbean and South and Central America have been trading, traveling and cruising Cuba all along. The major ports are well marked as they share with commercial traffic, this is an island after all.

The authorizations are beginning to become more of a rubber stamp and the categories are really pretty nebulous. Grab a few hundred outdated school books and suddenly you're on an educational humanitarian mission. Nothing wrong with doing a little good along the way.

I was there for 10 days back in 1977. There were a few years back then of Key West to Cuba sailboat races and Hemingway fishing tournaments. Pretty strange to see mountains after the continuous flatlands of Florida just 90 miles from Key Weird. Place could use a coat of paint but the people are nice and happy you are there, there is no begging like many other islands, and because the US has had an embargo the European and South American influence is strong.

An interesting destination at the very least, and the Passport stamp is a gunboat!

:socool:

Common for public libraries here to periodically offer books for pennies on the dollar. Perhaps a hundred pounds of books will be your "ticket" to Cuba.

Spent some time their last year on my way to the D.R. Well marked entrances, friendly people, beautiful country but I never figured out their currency. They actually use two currencies seems like one for touristas and one internal. I even had my passport stamped. No problems other than need for rat-guards on boat lines, which I did not have but fabricated with old plastic gallon jugs.

It seems as if you are already authorized, or will be, to engage in any of the following, then you can go there using a recreational boat. But if not authorized to be engaged in any of the following you are not allowed to go - e.g. for pleasure purposes only.

Telecommunications & Internet-Based Services
Commercial and Financial Transactions
Physical Presence and Operations in Cuba
Support for the Cuban People
Civil Aviation Safety
Educational Activities
Humanitarian Projects
Supporting Diplomatic Relations

So the first step is to get authorized to preform those activities. Then, instead of having the fly in to do them as before, you can now go by boat, including a recreational boat. You just are not using the boat for recreation, just transportation to carry out that authorized activity.

There you go. I honestly wasn't trying to be snide. The only change is essentially HOW you get there. The WHO hasn't really changed, nor has the process for getting authorized.

There you go. I honestly wasn't trying to be snide. The only change is essentially HOW you get there. The WHO hasn't really changed, nor has the process for getting authorized.

My original question was how you get authorized to do those things and how much it costs?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom