Repainting swim platform

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
My swim plarform has seen better days. There are some stains that just won't go away. Thinking about painting it, just not sure what paint to use for best results. It's made of fyberglass. Would Brightside be a good option? Any other suggestions?
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442870490.189067.jpg

My vote is yes. We painted ours with Brightside. I like the simplicity of a one part paint. And I like the paint. It would be easy to fix the inevitable nicks and dings.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Thinking about doing mine with Kiwigrip. Will be using it on the decks for non skip. Plan to keep the texture pretty low profile.

Ted

One of our friends painted his platform with Kiwigrip. I helped and it went on very easy. Nice grip without the sandpaper effect.

Good points. Didn't give traction any thought- but very important.

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I would think, even if your renewing the non-skid, and there are lots of options, you would want to repair/paint the edges/perimeter/non skid areas before laying down the non skid.

We did ours 2 1/2 years ago. We removed it from the boat, fixed the dings, sanded, primed, sanded and then painted with a 2 part polyurethane. We then taped off the perimeter and rolled on a coat of 2 part paint. Added the non skid on the now wet area. Waited 1/2 hour and rolled on another coat and pulled the tape. It's a great place to practice rolling and tipping on the base coat if you don't want to spray. :)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 68
Larry M makes a good point. As it relates to the Kiwigrip my friend used, his platform had a bunch of spider cracks. He did not repair them, but becuase of the consistency of the Kiwigrip, it covered them over to the point that you would never know they were there. He has since sold the boat, but it remains in a slip a few down from ours. It has been about three years since he painted and it is still holding up well. Just my observations, not advocating shortcuts, YMMV.

Great input. I have some Kiwigrip left from when I did the flybridge 2 years ago. I might use that to get a good antiskid texture. I was a bit concerned about how paint would hold on this surface but it doesn't seem to be an issue from what I read.

Wow....nice detail in the redo, Larry. The ladder and retainer also look great!

Now that the boat is on the hard for the winter I had a chance to work on my platform. I started by fixing a few holes, cleaned it with the pressure washer, sanded the smooth sections with 120 grit, cleaned it again with solvent and applied the primer yesterday. Very pleased with the results. Tomorrow I'll paint with Brightside and that should do the trick.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443355431.351729.jpg

Looks great FMan-

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom