When will you pack it in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm rapidly approaching 69 (the age, not the act!) and have the usual aches and pains that come with the age. Otherwise I'm in good health. BP is low, cholesterol good, borderline diabetic but controlling it with diet.

I hire the heavy lifting and mechanical stuff that requires someone getting into tight places but do a lot of it myself. At this age, "it", like a lot of things, takes longer than it used to, but that's part of the fun.

Like the old saying goes--it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!

I have one long boat trip left on my bucket list. When that trip is complete the boat will go up for sale and we'll be doing a lot of traveling on land.

Basically satisfied if it all ended today---but another ten good years would be great!... JohnP

"If it suddenly ended tomorrow, I would somehow adjust to the fall.
Good times and riches and son of a bitches, I've seen more than I can recall...:thumb:"
(Jimmy Buffett)

When they pry my cold dead hands from the helm. And even then, reluctantly.

Great response!

I was conceived, born and raised aboard. I think being aboard until the very end is just about perfect. That's one of the reasons why I do things for Seaweed... making her safe for the long term...

Daddy died aboard the boat he built and spent nearly 50 years aboard. He was a lucky man.

And compensating for aging body parts is a given. I'm not as strong as I was ten years ago and don't have any reason to suspect I'll be improved ten years hence. But I'll be here -- solo aboard my Seaweed.

With the Skipper -- all four pounds of her.

I don't want to live ashore. Ever. Seaweed isn't just my home -- she represents freedom to live my life as I see fit.

Janice, I've said it before and I'll continue to say it!
You are what great stories are made of! :thumb:

As for me, I'll be 59 in October.
Between the military, law enforcement, and a variety of other things, I've beaten my body to hell and back:whistling: There are days I feel like I'm 30, and others like I'm 300!

I was in charge of our motor unit at the Sheriff's Office, and used to ride all the time. I don't ride regularly any longer, for no other reason than I just don't have time.

My dad, God rest his soul, lived to be 93, and was as active as most of us here until three (3) days before his death. Lost him to a stroke:mad: I plan on following his footsteps as much as I can.

And when I feel like crap, I just look around. There's always someone worse off.

So unless it's a safety issue, I'll get off the water when they force (or carry) me off!

OD

We bought our current boat on my 65th birthday. Now almost a year later I had significant back surgery, which has slowed me down a bit. But, I plan to take plenty of time to heal, while I take it easy on the boat and hire younger backs for the heavy lifting. Then, we'll start our cruising plans again.

My dad was running strong into his very late 80's. I intend to do better, Lord willing.

Turned 65 in July. This may be the first year I'm unable change-out my 8D house batteries solo, ....we'll see. In order to keep the trawler-style cruising/boating/owning a boat thing alive, I think we'd need to make more of a commitment to it....living aboard or long distance cruising. Between a mountain of "stuff" and other urgencies like a diabetic cat, I see the intention needed for boating adventures are fading faster than our health. Could be a lot worse.

The only people that want to live to be 100 are now 99. When do i pack it in? Don't know, but probably when they take the keys away or shot by a jealous husband. Now, that's the way to go.
Unless the jealous husband is the 99 year old.

When it's no longer enjoyable...

Between a mountain of "stuff" and other urgencies like a diabetic cat...

One of my favorite lines from comedian Tom Papa goes something like this:

'I have a diabetic cat. We have to give it shots of insulin in its neck two times a day; put pills on the end of a stick, shove it down its throat, fire them in there. It's biting and peeing on us. I wouldn't do this to keep my wife alive.

Do you know what a diabetic cat was called when I was a kid? A dead cat.'

:rofl:

I'm 66 and have purchased two boats and a boathouse in the last two years. The love of boats and the water will be there till I drop and God willing, I'll keep boating for a long time. I will admit that crawling out of bed after a day in the bilge is getting harder and harder but I'm not about to let that stop me.....slow me down some but not stop me.

Ditto- I love cats. I'm just a dog person. We had a stray female cat wander in and become a pet several years ago. I always admired her spunk up against anything. She came up missing and we found her, almost dead one morning beneath a little shed we have behind our house. I ran her to Dodge City veterinary, one of several locally- and spoke with Dr Smith. I told him I couldn't put a price on love- but I had $82 in my wallet ;). (All true) he thought she had feline lukemia (I had never heard of it). I called later that afternoon after no news and the doc got on the line. Yes. It was feline lukemia. "What do we need to do"?? Oh nothing. I forgot to call. She died about lunch.
You guessed it- $79 with creamation. Crazy:)

This is a tad personal here. I'm 56 and in good condition in most ways except arthritic knees which miraculously improve anytime I'm solo on the boat. Even on a sundeck at slip 16. Lucky me...

The other issue is a poor short and long term memory. It's been this way my whole life- and it is getting slightly worse. In business I used a Daytimer for commitments, contact management, information storage, etc- in a big way. I think that a good planner- along with the discipline required to make the the systems work- seemed to help me manage my commitments in a very thorough way. And in some ways, exceed the basic survival needs.
I mention this because my 76 year old mother has dimintia, probably Alzheimer's from what I understand- but never labeled. Her mother also died with Alzheimer's after my mom was able to finish her life in her own home. My dad takes care of my mom- he's like me (ok- I'm like him) and always active, "inventing" something new to make a job easier or more effective. Mom used stickie notes all around her to help "manage" information. Recipes. What I planted.

Back to me- I moved into an iPhone shortly after they came out. It just fit. And now- most of this lifetime of often useless information had been data entried and saved in the phone. NoteMaster is my favorite- as it was the first app to allow text and pictures.
So given the facts- sorry it's so many of them- what Patricia and I hope to do is accelerate any cruising, retirement plans we have and work towards making our best years right now- just in case 15 years from now I'm unable to safely operate and maintain the boat. Kind of sweet of her to be thinking that way. :)

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Turned 65 in July. This may be the first year I'm unable change-out my 8D house batteries solo, ....we'll see.

Larry, trade them 8 D's in for golf cart batteries and a four part block and tackle and you will be good to go. I made that change and at age 79 I can handle the battery change solo.
The way I look at it age is just a number. I think messing about with these twenty some thing boats keep us young. So when do I pull the plug ? ask me when I get a little older. Right now I'm enjoying the ride. :):):)

Last edited:
"When they pry my cold dead hands from the helm. And even then, reluctantly."
I greatly admire friends who, at 89 and 88 respectively, have just this year sold their boat and house and gone into an assisted living development. His health has been an issue for the last couple of decades. Two heart attacks at the wheel, macular degeneration that lost him his driver's license 4 or 5 years ago. But until last summer, 2 to 3 months cruising the inside passage as far north as Alaska or over to Haida Gwai every summer for the last 30 to 35 years. I hope to do so well.

Wifey B: Thought boaters didn't go by calendars. Same thing you say about cruising I think is true about life. I have no freaking idea. I don't know what I'm going to eat for breakfast today. We live in the present. Can't change the past and if I lived in it I'd be miserable. Can't control the future. Maybe the day it's no longer our fave thing? They day it's not comfy? I don't think any of us can plan but I think we know. I think probably like most athletes though we refuse to admit it and go a little too long. We love boating so do as much as we can now. Everyone says we'll get tired of it. Of course those saying that aren't boaters and never were. Some of you older people here give me hope for doing it a long long time. I'm 36 and never imagined my life being anything like it is today. Four years ago I'd never thought of living in Florida, never cruised the ocean.

I don't want to be old tomorrow but I look forward to it, to as long as it's good for us, life I mean. When the bad outweighs the good, then no thanks, or the pain outweighs the other moments. My hubby's biggest fear is Alzheimer's because his mental skills have always been so much a part of him. Guess mine's sagging you know what but then there's treatment for that.

I get upset when I hear 12 year olds asked what they want to do when they grow up. Well, easy for me. I don't ever plan to grow up, whatever that is. I'll be a brat at 90 if I can. When the day comes boating no longer works for us, bet we'll do it virtually or at least watch others do it. Maybe some day other interests leap over boating. Can't imagine that but could I guess.

One thing we do too is spend time with younger people. Yeah, even at our ages. 19 and 20 year olds can make you laugh and smile. They'll keep you young. When we're 80 we'll depend on 50 year olds and 30 year olds and my hubby will still be eyeing the 18 year olds, dirty old man. Not really. I was 21 when we met. Thank god that's the way he still sees me.

All I can say is make the most of every day. We'll keep trying to do that. They run out sometime and there aren't as many as we want.

We have an older couple with us right now who just sold their 200' or so boat to get into some real boating. Seriously, they have found they like smaller better. Boats that is. He made a comment today. He said, "I just realized we've traveled the world and seen so little." That's in reaction to us showing him places and things he'd never seen, places he hadn't been to. Places he couldn't get to in his boat. But it's so true. Always more to see, more to do. As long as we can. Until the time comes we can no longer dream. Then it's over I guess. There comes a time life no longer has value I think. Hope I die the day before that.

Ok, now the part I have so much trouble facing and I know some of you do and have. Life without my hubby. I didn't like life before him and sure as he.l don't want to think of it after. I've never lied to him and I've promised if he goes first I'll continue to live and enjoy. That would definitely be the hardest promise to ever fulfill. I'd have to, but I don't know how.

Ok, that turned serious so now back to being a teenager.

The past few years the old body has been in noticeable decline. We boat in very remote areas and help is not instant. We thought about dropping the pick on dry land and live on the memories. Instead we sold the boat and downsized to one with much less maintance with fewer systems to worry about and continue to enjoy boating. This has been working well as we completed an 800 mile cruise this summer.

I'm almost 57. Hoping to get my bucket list trips done before 65. Hoping to be cruising till 70. Willing to accept more. Prepared to accept less.

Ted

62 now and retired 3years ago to enjoy what life has while I still can. We have boated thru out the state of florida with trailerable boats and now have the live aboard we always wanted,and downsized our house to an condo and simpleized our life. Moved to the keys and live aboard in marathon. We wanted to cruise ,but enjoy living aboard so we do short trips. Still doing what I can aboard and will evalveuate in 5 years as how things are are then maybe a motorhome? Health is good just have to know your limits and ability.

I am 63 and am definitely slowing down. My wife will be 71 next month. She has significant mobility limitations which impact our boating. I still singlehand both boats, but prefer to have someone else along.

As far as maintenance goes, last Spring I had several weeks of serious back pain as a result of boat work. We will see how it goes next year, but I think I will be selling at least one boat next year. Right now my thought is to sell both and replace them with a bigger trawler. One bigger boat will be less work than two boats.

68 and slowing down some, mostly in the more physical maintenance chores. Boat trailer bearings, truck brakes etc sure take more days each year than they used to. And the annual buff/wax of the boat. One way of addressing this may be to move on to a boat that doesn't require a trailer, or groveling and reaching down into the engine box. As long as I can keep up with the maintenance, I plan to keep on cruising. When I'm out on the water for a summer, I don't feel so old.

When I'm out on the water for a summer, I don't feel so old.

Yes. Same here. It's a happy reality:)

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Noticed a few of my coaches from way back still looking great and most of that can be associated with active lifestyle, so we are 5 years away from retiring and working hard to stay active and healthy, God willing would like a long retirement behind the wheel moving from port to port.
For all those in your 70's and 80's still after it, congratulations, that's awesome.

Never seen so much blind optimism.

The old know what they're talk'in about and the young have no idea.

Interesting reading the coments of 60 to 65 year olds as they do indeed accurately describe me 10 to 15 years ago ..... in many coments. I'm 75.

simpleized our life. .

Wifey B: Out of the mouths of babes. Well, not exactly. But when you used a newly created word, "simpleized" instead of "simplified" it made me think. Taking your hint, I call what you did as you "Simplesized" your life.

Simplesized: Downsized to simplify.

I like it. :D

We have been a live a board for 18 years, and have talked about that and where do we want to retire to. We have decided we will live aboard as long as we can get up and down the dock and get on of the boat in the summer and head south fo the winter with the motor home. We figure mid 70's, 10 more years. We might keep the boat after we move of as it gives me something to do and keeps me active. My goal is 30 years.:oldman:

Still a professional mariner here at 62. Hopefully retire in a few years, pick up my own boat and do some pleasure cruising then. Lots of places I've been to while working, want to go again and enjoy at my own pace.

Wifey BandB wrote: "One thing we do too is spend time with younger people. Yeah, even at our ages. 19 and 20 year olds can make you laugh and smile. They'll keep you young. When we're 80 we'll depend on 50 year olds and 30 year olds and my hubby will still be eyeing the 18 year olds, dirty old man. Not really. I was 21 when we met. Thank god that's the way he still sees me."

This rings true. When my folks were first aboard, their friends were old. Young people didn't buy boats to live aboard in the 1950's. They were in their 20's when they built/moved aboard the boat and headed south.

I remember three sets of friends dying. About every ten years of their life another group of contemporaries (cruising friends) either swallowed the anchor or passed away.

The ones gone were regularly replaced and that's what I suspect kept my folks young. Friends though were always significantly older. Retired folks...

Finally my folks were the older ones with young friends....

We are 57/58 and still pretty active so hoping for at least another 20 years!

Kevin

Well, I don't know. I have just got here. Next month is my final official working month. However, I am already lined up to run forward until June 2016, oil crisis or not. In my line of work, I am still kicking some college boy butts. I need those 7 more months to buy my Fat Boy.
I want to retire with Z E R O debt. This one is going to be paid CASH!
My wife feels the same way and we probably knock on your hulls in USA next year, who knows?

Yet, I am not worried about pack in, I might as well stay in the boat. It is better than underground

...By the way, I'll be 60 in November

Last edited:
It is strange to see so many youngsters responding to this thread. I would not think that packing it in would even register on their radar yet. :)
Guess not too many people were born on the water, as Janice and I were. When you are born on the water, and your first baby memories are water lapping against the hull, the changes of the tide, the boat gently rocking you to sleep, and the wind wailing and moaning in the rigging at times, then it is built into your DNA. In my opinion anyway. I was born in Pensacola, Florida, on a commercial fishing boat operated by my parents and my older brothers, and don't really remember touching dry land until the Law required that I go to school. I hated it.
So, different strokes for different folks. But I will pack it in when, and only when, I cannot even slowly crawl to do the things which need to be done. Until then, I will crawl if I have to. Even a bad day on the water is still better than a good day on land.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom