Appropriate salute signal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I say a prolonged signal. Other signals may indicate navigational (moving to port, starboard, or reverse) or distress messages.

Hello!

In this case, responding to their salute.

Unfortunately, my flag can't dip with its short staff, and I've insufficient crew to do so. Do you believe the other recreational boat would even notice? Don't concern yourself. We're merely toy/recreational boaters.

Fire your cannon.

But it takes time to set up as well as to clean it. I save it for special occasions.

Easier to amortize/use the four-BOAT$ horns.

PS: Have been informed the cannon's manufacturer is going out of business.

Last edited:
A nice thunder mug with a spoon full of black powder dose a great job and only takes a minute to get ready and fire.

EDIT.
I was only thinking that after you pack the wadding you should fill it up with flower, dry milk creamer, or fine dry saw dust. Give them a good flash with a tinny boom. :angel:

Last edited:
One blast indicates the port side pass he's making and accomplishes your other goal. The VHF makes it more personal though; we've made some good friends that way.

From this post and some others recently, it may be time for you to do a refresher reading of the Navigation Rules.

I can't make out what their "salute" consists of. But I am wondering why you don't return it in kind?

Greetings,
Salute? How about simply...

fgwv.gif

One blast indicates the port side pass he's making and accomplishes your other goal. The VHF makes it more personal though; we've made some good friends that way.

From this post and some others recently, it may be time for you to do a refresher reading of the Navigation Rules.

Now, now George, in case you didn't get the memo, the one prolonged blast of the horn he mentioned is now the universal signal that can be used to mean whatever you want it to at the time. Because apparently nobody else knows what the rest of the signals mean anyway, so it's just easier to have one that covers all circumstances. :rofl:

Salute to whom? Another recreational vessel? Coast Guard? Navy? Local Law Enforcement?

There is no 'salute' signal. The most appropriate would be based on how you're operating in relationship to the other vessel.

I find many people misinterpret "2 short blasts" as "HELLO" when it really means (I intend to leave you on my Stbd Side). The Appropriate acknowledgement is two short blasts in return. This is not a Hello or a Salute.

While there's nothing in the rules about a salute, there are some signals we use on the lakes that are widely accepted as salutes.

We use one prolonged followed by two short blasts. In conditions where visibility is unrestricted, this signal has no official purpose, so we use it for unofficial purposes. It's how we greet other ships in our fleet, or if another freighter does us a favor somehow, or to just say hello to people ashore. There is a thriving community of shipping enthusiasts around the lakes. They call themselves boatnerds, and they love it when you blow a salute. Everybody seems to. In 9 years, the only complaint I've heard was from an engineer who was trying to sleep, but he was cranky anyway.

I've saluted coast guard cutters, and they'll return in kind. If it's illegal, then I guess it's a case of 'a crime committed by everyone, is no crime at all.'

I've only used it a few times aboard Wayfarer, though. It's impressive coming from a 730 foot laker with typhon whistles, not so much from a 29' plastic toy boat.

There's also a more formal form of our salute. Three prolonged followed by two short. It's rarely used, generally reserved for high honors. I've only sounded it twice myself. Once to honor the man who my ship was named after. They recorded it to be played at his funeral. The only other time was when we Christened one of our vessels, just after the champagne bottle broke across the bow.

Actually there is something in the rules about a "salute", which is why one prolonged blast is inappropriate, while in the OP case, one short blast is, though inadvertently.

Rule 36
Signals to Attract Attention
If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel, any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorized elsewhere in these Rules

When you get waked hard. We all know that one...:D

I just got one of those the other day! There was a kid, maybe 13 or 14 years old, who stopped his bike by the boardwalk and saluted us with both fingers for like... 3 minutes straight. I felt deeply honored. I felt so deeply honored that, for a moment, I considered firing up the fire line and cooling him off a bit.

Depending on traffic, there are times when it is inappropriate to make any superfluous signals. If there is a chance someone will misinterpret it's better off left to a wave.

Hilarious!
I've noticed on the North Shore (Mandeville/ Madisonville LA) where there is much more recreational traffic closely cruising the rivers etc.- the Generally Accepted Cruising Standards (GACS for short) require that there is no obvious eye contact made until the two vessels begin to pass each other and at the EXACT moment both vessels midships meet- eye contact is made/ the participants exchange smiles, and a small waive on both parties is exchanged. It has always been. The same seems to apply on bigger waters- but in tight/ high traffic areas like the Tchefuncte' River its much easier to tell when you are being ignored. Actually this has only ever happened once to us.:flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom