View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
Phil Fill
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RE: Hybrid boats

I read/herad the best for a hybrid is if the house demand is equal to propulsion demand.* Many large mega yachts are hybrid, diesel electric. **For a pleasure boat it would be hard to justify the cost vs. the savings.* What gets me is the Hybrid that the batteries are based on Lithium that has to be imported.* So instead of import oil we import raw material.* **

I been burning ULSD for several years and I find it burns cleaner and have not notice a loss of power, but I been trying to turn the diesel yearly and use additives to prolong the live and cetane.* I will void burning Bio as long as possible.* However the State of Washing ferry and transportations been burning Bio for years.* Again I think the bio has to be used/turned quickly.* Because ULSD and now Bio seem to have a short storage live I have do not fill the tanks more than what we can burn/use in one year.***

We have a hydraulic get home that is powered gen set.* The hydraulic variable PSI pump is also used to power the hydraulic bow thruster.* We have an AC cruise gen 5 KW off the DD 671 main so when out we dont run the gen set.* So we are set up the gen is back up for the main, and the main is back up for the gen.* Hydraulic is old technology and DC electric is new.**
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote