Thread: WiFi Booster
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
MYTraveler
Guru

City: West Coast
Those look like ubiquitti bullets, but with much more user-friendly interfaces. It took an awful lot of time and effort, but I finally learned enough to properly configure my bullet and on-board wireless router to work perfectly. Now I can easily (from my wireless laptop, without changing any of its network settings) survey all of the available wireless hotspots and lock my bullet onto the hotspot of my choice. At that point, all of the devices on my boat will share an internet connection. All the ipads, the squeezebox, everyone's iphone/android, the laptops, and my boat's nav computer then get internet with no need to reconfigure any of those devices.

Anyone with network knowledge can probably set it up easily, but even a complete amateur, like me can figure it out (although there is very little good, understandable, on-line help available). Many will recommend using the bullet as an access point and using an on-board router to distribute the internet connection. The problem with that approach is that it puts the bullet on the other side of your fire wall, so accessing it to change hot spots, etc., is not easy. The better approach (in my experience) is to configure the bullet as a router, and to configure the on-board router as a wireless access point (connected to the bullet by Ethernet cable).
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote