Roll and Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry Pac but someone used that word re the sundowner buff. You can call it reddish or w a touch of magenta or whatever. Don't worry .. it's not girly paint and you won't need a bunny tail to go on your stern. That's why they call it "Sundowner" buff. Like red in the sunset?

When I mentioned the GB Beige I wasn't suggesting you re-paint it because the color was bad. I like what I see.

You can see the straight Sundowner Buff color in my post #56 on the cabin sides. You may be able to see the hint of red (not going to use the P word). I'm going to overcoat it w three can tan.

Last edited:
Thanks Manyboats . Maybe once we take the green tape off it will look different. It looks beige from some angles .

Manyboats
I wish you woulda keep that pinkish comment to yourself or sent me a pm . Now I've got some explaining to do. I'm not repainting it . Too much work !:hide:it might be pink but William is still a work horse. :thumb:

This is not a hint of William having a coming out soon is it ?:eek:

To paraphrase Lloyd Bentson...

I know pink....in fact pink is a friend of mine, and that, sir, is not pink!

img_278716_0_cb0a2996b4f562752f2a98ae36bfbf7e.jpg

To paraphrase Lloyd Bentson...

I know pink....in fact pink is a friend of mine, and that, sir, is not pink!

img_278739_0_cb0a2996b4f562752f2a98ae36bfbf7e.jpg
Now that's pink and you sir are da Man .Thanks Al for clearing that up .

I don't think it looks pink either . Maybe some of you guys have some of that "Purple Haze all in your brain" left over from the late 60's

As usual: even through the HAZE Joy's fine work shows and yours to :thumb::thumb:

We had a few minor complaints from folks at the dock about the paint fumes .My only response was "sorry for the buzz but there is no charge" . "How about a beer ":hide:

Ok you guys are right it's not really pink but kinda peachy . I finally got it out in the sunlight . I guess the basement is not a good place to mix colors . Glad we didn't put the hardware back on . We will have to repaint in the spring . Can't deal with this color !:eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 107
How about if you let it get a year's worth of UV? Maybe it'll either fade or you'll get used to it.

Does coral sound more manly than peach?

Back on the paint . Now we are on the cabin . Filled all holes and gel coat cracks with quick fair , sanded and primed with Interlux primer Pre -Kote . We will sand primer and put first coat of 1 part Brightside on tomorrow and no it's not
Pink :nonono:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Second pic of primer coat . If someone will show me how to post two pics in one post I won't bore you with two post .
This will be the roll and tip method .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hi Marty,
We've decided to use more Sundowner Buff. Like retain it on the cabin and perhaps elsewhere. Plan on putting darker coats on the decks where the 3 can mix is. And we've found that while wearing certian shoes we need some anti-skid.

I'll take some pics but I lost my i-mac so it will be difficult. For you just downsize your pics. I'll PM you about that. I usually downsize mine to about 800 KB and post 4 or 5 pics at a time. You can load them up 4 at a time and post 12 or so when you finally post.

Eric , We mix about 20 parts white to one part sundowner to get the beige we want .

Very timely info as usual... Pack Mule, you mentioned painting your deck. Can't tell from the pic but do you have factory non-skid surface???? I'm starting my prep work to do a topside paint and would love to re-paint my decks. I have the fns surface and am not sure what issues i may run into such as filling in all of the valleys and defeating its purpose.....tips,hints, ideas????

The roll and tip did not go as well today as in the past . Too many widows to cut in around and couldn't move the paint fast enough . I plan on sanding out lap lines and just going with super fine nap roller on second coat and let it go . Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't .Good thing William is not pristine . We repeated " it's just a boat " several times today . It was still a nice day off from work . :D Sorry guys no pictures just yet . Plus it was great way to spend our forty-second anniversary .:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Last edited:
The roll and tip did not go as well today as in the past . Too many widows to cut in around and couldn't move the paint fast enough . I plan on sanding out lap lines and just going with super fine nap roller on second coat and let it go . Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't .Good thing William is not pristine . We repeated " it's just a boat " several times today . It was still a nice day off from work . :D Sorry guys no pictures just yet . Plus it was great way to spend our forty-second anniversary .:flowers::flowers::flowers:

How'd it go?

Is the super fine nap roller the same as a varnish roller? I want to do our doors and are looking for any suggestions.

I find that foam rollers work well for varnish as well as urethane paints.

How'd it go?

Is the super fine nap roller the same as a varnish roller? I want to do our doors and are looking for any suggestions.
Larry ,
We just used a 1/4" nap . I couldn't find any thing smoother locally . I have never tried a roller with varnish . I needed a little texture in one area to help hide some flaws . Overall it turned out pretty good . We just finished up a couple hrs ago . Joy is going to do some touch up tomorrow and remove tape then I wiil post some pictures . I think on the Interlux 1 part it's all about getting it to flow and that means thinning but not too thin that it runs .
It gets tough trying to keep edge wet when cutting in around windows and changing directions .Long stretches in one direction works best .

We finished up the cabin sides and wheel house yesterday . This 1 coat primer and two coats paint . I have 4 pics and will post them all .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 68
The shiny spots in this pic are where we repaired some areas of non skid and did not go back with non skid . Plan on adding some teak rails and teak frames under the hatches that should help hide some of this .This area was rolled only .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 78
Under the windows in this pic we only rolled ,no tipping .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 61
Last pic . If I was to do this again I might would add a little flattener to hold down the sheen .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 62
Looks like you found that 'island packet' french vanilla color you were looking for. Looks great!

Looks like new!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom