New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I thought Peter did a lot of sanding.You've beat him by miles,or is that kilometers?

indeed it really looks like a boat.
Thanks Bayview. It's getting there!

I cant tell but if the keel does not have designed low sump to collect bilge water consider adding one.
The keel will get separated into two sections with the main bulkhead. There wasn't a sump designed but I've been giving that some thought. There are some new low profile bilge pumps that'll get near everything out. Sort of thinking I'll put one of those in each section. I also have a 4000 GPH crash pump! :D

Just think of all the stuff you're going to put in that big empty hull!

You mean all that stuff that's piled up in my basement rec room? :D

Yeah someday I hope to get my rec room back instead of the Chandlery that's in there now! We've been buying stuff for the boat for about 8 years now. I have so much stuff I caught myself almost buying duplicates so I created a visual inventory.

http://s237.photobucket.com/user/KnottyBuoyz/library/KBIII/Inventory?sort=3&page=1

That's the bulk of what we have already to go in.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers!

Last edited:
A easy way to create a low spot is to jack up the stern a bit then pour resin in. When the boat is level the rear will be the low spot.

Rick,
The way I see it, once finished with the boat, your gonna have a new boat and a new house. Just think of all the time your gonna spend on remodeling the house....at least you'll have the boat to live on while doing that! A vicious cycle!

Rick,
The way I see it, once finished with the boat, your gonna have a new boat and a new house. Just think of all the time your gonna spend on remodeling the house....at least you'll have the boat to live on while doing that! A vicious cycle!

Sounds like a man speaking from experience eh John? :D

I had stipulations put in place before I started the boat. New roof on the house. Check! New front porch on the house. Check! Pave driveway. Check! New furnace. Check! Landscape back yard. Check!

Luckily it's a small house. Only cosmetic stuff left to do after the boat's finished. :thumb:

Peter's AWOL. I think he got lost in Lake Champlain and 'Champ' got him! :eek:

:rofl:

We here about Champ all the way down here in SC.I notice peter hasn't been on WBF in a while.I hope he wasn't a Champy snack.

spacer.gif
img_371177_1_98a4b9429fb3bbc08e71956eeafad4a8.jpg

Got my butt firmly wedged between the thruster tube & stem to get that pic! Pretty cool I thought! :socool:

Cheers!

I LOVE THIS SHOT! Best picture yet IMO to give you perspective. Keep up the great work!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Thanks Forky! :thumb:

Took a day off to rest up the hands and get away from the cats & boat shed. Did some good!

This morning's adventure was a lil' sanding and they laying out some fiberglass for the transom, keel & bow section.

spacer.gif
img_371336_1_a6433274aede8ec566eb3ce0b379f266.jpg

Totally out of 12 oz 0/90 now so had to improvise on the bow section. Dug up some of the 33 oz triax I used on the bottom panels and filled in the bow section. That stuff is heavy & soaks up epoxy like a sponge! :facepalm:

More pics etc. on the blog update: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/litt ... there.html

Got my butt kicked right and proper today!

Tried to put two layers of glass & peel ply on the transom! Wet on wet they say. The 12 oz 0/90 went fine. I'm used to working with that. Next up was a 12 oz plain weave I have as a finishing layer. OMG! What a friggin' battle that was. It fought me every step of the way. It would not wet out. It would bunch up. It would bubble. It would fall off. It would wrinkle. After about an hour and a half struggling with it I finally managed to get it on half assed and the peel ply over it.

I don't think it's going to be too pretty. Luckily it'll all be hidden when the boat is done! Not my best work by any stretch of the imagination.

Pics & non-Sanding video tomorrow.

I need Rum & Coke!

Rick-
Sure looks like you've loss a little weight! Or might just be a new lense, LOL!

Great job Bud, hang in there...I'm having a Rum and Coke for ya.

Sure looks like you've loss a little weight! Or might just be a new lense, LOL!

Yeah. The wife put me on something called a 'low carb diet' which means no more cheezeburgers & potato chips! :eek: I think I dropped about 15 lbs since the 'murder in the boat shed' episode. The only problem is when she works nights I cheat and go to Burger King for chicken sammiches, 2 for $5!!! :whistling:

Climbin' up and down into and out of the boat 500 times a day helps to I think. :confused:

Great job Bud, hang in there...I'm having a Rum and Coke for ya.

Thanks Buddy. :thumb:

Watch out for wives swinging the low carb hammer. Mine has me on something called a Paleo diet and it's amazing how much it sucks.

Wow just amazing

Off topic but: I have an acquaintance who says his doctor has him on the simplest diet of all time. If it tastes good spit it out- it is not on your allowed foods list.

Greetings,
Thread drift alert BUT it is applicable to Mr. Rick...Most, if not ALL "diets" are fads at best. The honest truth is NOT what you eat but portion control. One should eat a balanced diet by following the applicable national food guide/rules in amounts suggested. This will insure an appropriate intake of calories necessary for daily function. In Mr. Rick's case... Canada's food guides

My doc told me to get rid of the 'wheat belly'. Cut out all the white breads & processed food. *Sigh* Unfortunately they're the ones that taste good! :facepalm:

Fought this my whole life. Gotta be genetic. That's what I get for dipping into the shallow end of the gene pool! :nonono: I was doing good till I hit 29 yrs. Played hockey five nights a week. Ran 10K every day. Was a steady 175 lbs. Then my knees went out and I caught Mono & Strep Throat at the same time. Haven't felt good since.

Greetings,
Mr. Rick. Ask your doctor how much training in nutrition he has. LOTS of conflicting/incorrect information out there even amongst the professionals.

Greetings,
Mr. B. "...Since she has you eating like a caveman she should not be surprised if you behave like one." How would Ms. CP notice the difference?

trmp1.gif

I am very well behaved. My wife tells me so. Sometimes!

I just need the name of your dance instructor RT! :rofl:

So......... back to boat building stuff!

I reluctantly hauled my butt into the boat to see the results of yesterday's glass session. Yanked off the peel ply and......

spacer.gif
img_371989_1_02f549c4cda7b02cc7e7d22bc1e1621a.jpg

Not too bad. A few small bubbles. In places it looks dry but when you get closer it really isn't. I'm wondering if there was some treatment or sizing on the cloth that turned white when the epoxy hit it. A contaminant maybe.

spacer.gif
img_371989_3_8432a5236ae14560b6d4ea1cfa5cf463.jpg

Spent the rest of the morning splicing the starboard aft sections of stringers together.

spacer.gif
img_371989_5_0858773e1d11d0b87e16999176c9f8d8.jpg

Will load these up in the boat tomorrow. They're heavy!

Few more pics & nonsense on the blog update today. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/tran ... ngers.html

Thanks for lookin' in!

Cheers!

Last edited:
That's a good bit of work you got done since I checked in last.On those stingers,will you have limber holes to drain into the center for a bilge pump?I'm trying to imagine this in my noodle.I have seen some boats,that have inboards,have a box that replaces a section of stringers to allow the engine to sit low and also contain any leaks.

That's a good bit of work you got done since I checked in last.On those stingers,will you have limber holes to drain into the center for a bilge pump?I'm trying to imagine this in my noodle.I have seen some boats,that have inboards,have a box that replaces a section of stringers to allow the engine to sit low and also contain any leaks.

I've asked the designer about the limber holes. Apparently not. The likelihood of a spill from a tank is more an issue and it should be contained within the frames & stringers. Plan to have a removable stainless tray made to go under the engine to catch drips. There'll be two pumps in the engine compartment. A normal 800 GPH bilge pump and a 4000 GPH crash pump!

Your plan sounds good to me.

So I'm cleaning up the stringers getting them ready to go in the boat. Spliced together and radius'd the top edge with router. Sanded etc.

spacer.gif
img_372368_1_6071086c28b5dbd9697f37a785d61ce6.jpg

I'm thinking to myself. That's always scary! :eek: I wonder if I could glass them before I put them in the boat? I've got a ton of that 33 oz triax left to use up. This might be a good opportunity to do just that. One layer and done! I'd peel ply them as well so no sanding later.

spacer.gif
img_372368_3_ecaa91fba97c272ba3d1c13a6ec3d4f9.jpg

Pro's: I can work standing up, One less thing to do on my hands & knees in the boat

Con's: They'll be heavier to move, working outside is iffy if weather comes in

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Maybe set up the saw horse inside the boat. Then it's just dropping in place. With my bad back anything done standing is so much better than being on hands and knees.
Have you noticed that as we get older the knees hurt more than just a few years ago? Come to think of it, just about everything hurts more. Still don't have any problems with the 12 oz curls though....Hmmm

Greetings.
Mr. SK. The weather forecast (ya right!) for the next 4 or 5 days in Iroquois, ON is sunny with a 10% to 20% POP. You can always cover at night to minimize dew formation....

Last edited:
Just a thought but a few glassed in limber holes in the upper section of the stringers may come in handy for anything you don't want to run on the roof. Engine oil changer hose, battery cables, things like that unless of course you are putting down cable trays. It's not so much for now but for those add on's down the road....

Back
Top Bottom