View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #94
cardude01
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
What should I have done?

I had zero success radioing sailboats on my trip from Florida to Texas, and not much more success radioing power boats when wondering what their intentions were. I pretty much quit trying the radio and just slowed down and figured they would cut in front of me or make some other bonehead move.

Maybe I was using the radio wrong, but I got great responses on the radio from all barge captains I contacted, do don't think that was it. 😁

When I was about 50 miles from home after my long trip I saw a small oyster/shrimp type boat off in the distance and moved over some for a port to port pass. He got closer and I moved over more to starboard, but he didn't make a move and headed strait for me. I radioed. Crickets. Moved over more, no adjustment from him. Blew my air horn as he was getting closer and moved into about 4.5' of water and stopped. He just chugged right pass me as I sat there stunned, and he acted like he never saw me. The helm was way aft in the pilothouse so maybe he didn't see me? I dunno.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote