First Steps Of A New Chapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I bought PASSAGE back in 2001 and my children grew up with her. Next Tuesday I will be donating her to a very good cause, and on Wednesday a captain employed by the charity will take her away. We shall cry. We have a ton of memories tied up in that boat - see below of a birthday sleepover, and how the kids all hauled the stern to the beach for a stern tie.

Today we put the first offer in on a new-to-us boat. While there are many a slip twix cup and lip, we feel we will get to a deal, pending a decent survey. If not, we have cleared the decks for an aggressive look over the fall and spring buying season.

More on the new boat once a deal has been inked.

I know many say the happiest days are when you buy a boat and when you sell her - not here. It will be a miserable day on Wednesday. I may actually go to the mall for the duration.

Attachments

• Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 100
May your new boat be as rewarding as your old one.

Life is full of transitions. For me I retire on Sunday. I'm an airline pilot and I reach the mandatory retirement age on Sep 25. My last trip is to Rome, leaving tomorrow. Taking the Admiral.

But as this chapter closes a new one opens. In October we are starting our trip south from Annapolis to Tampa aboard our boat. We had her on the Chessie for a year, excited to start this return trip and to have her home again.

Best of wishes on your new transition. :)

Last edited:
Tim, let us know when you hit JAX :))).

Will do. We'll take it slow southbound and take as much time as the admiral will let me.

I know many say the happiest days are when you buy a boat and when you sell her - not here. It will be a miserable day on Wednesday. I may actually go to the mall for the duration.

I know the feeling. My family ran into some financial troubles when I was a kid, and we had to sell our beloved boat. It was awful. It was like a death in the family. We all cried like babies.

At least you know it's going to a good cause, and you get to pick out a new one. That's pretty exciting! Here's to lots more great memories with your new ship.

Life is full of transitions. For me I retire on Sunday. I'm an airline pilot and I reach the mandatory retirement age on Sep 25. My last trip is to Rome, leaving tomorrow. Taking the Admiral.

Sounds like a great trip, it must be bittersweet. Happy Birthday and congratulations on retirement. I bet you're really looking forward to being able to take your time and enjoy cruising. I know I would be.

Nice boat.
It's great that you all manage to fit on her.

Does it only have one set of oars?

Price agreed this afternoon. I am heading to Europe for two weeks but will survey immediately I get back. Closing agreed before October 30th.

Now if the stock market would just cooperate! :)

Be prepared for lots of questions on diesels!

I know the feeling.

I know the feeling too. It broke my heart to sell my old Bristol 35.5, but a corporate move required it.. Some depression involved in being boatless for many years. My daughter in this pic is now 31....She's looking forward to visiting next month and spending some time on the new (to us) Cape Dory...

Heron_kate-vi.jpg

Last edited:
This was the first time PASSAGE has ever sailed without me on board. Sniff. She has been a great family member for 14 years. I hope her new crew have as much pleasure with her as we have had.

It was as emotional as we thought, my wife was pretty upset.

Donated to Safe Harbor Boys Home. Watch the trailer and enjoy the movie if you have time.

She is gone, God Speed.

http://safeharboracademy.com/

Last edited:
Survey on new boat is this coming Thursday in Fort Myers.

My biggest concern is that the boat seems to be way over powered. But I guess, everything else passing muster, that is not the worst thing that could be.

More info after the survey report is received and we negotiate acceptance.

Good on ya for donating your baby to what looks like a worthwhile organization.

We'll be watching for info on the new boat.

Back
Top Bottom