View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #86
Hawgwash
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
I do not agree however with your assertion that Enterprise Channel isn't narrow:
Jim;
I would love to sit in your KK cockpit with a Blue Buck and big old paper CHS 3461.
The first three elements I would be looking at for that route in a "slow" boat would be tide, wind and current. On Friday all three were in your favour, as was visibility.

"Narrow" is, in large part, a state of mind and I understand your perspective on that and respect it.

Narrow to me are (locally) Narrows Inlet, Cockburn Bay, Squitty Bay, Pirates Cove, Smugglers Cove, Hidden Basin and, if only because of currents, Dodd Narrows. Yes, Enterprise has kelp but there is still plenty of water under a +/- 5' draft through there. A key though is how much open water and visibility there is to asses things before the very short run through the tight part.

I'm wondering if you were apprehensive about going through there in the first place and just didn't plan far enough ahead or go through the mental "what ifs." We need to face like challenges but need to be as prepared as possible and maybe, just maybe that day was a good one to just go south around Trial Islands.

Nervousness can be a good thing but can also be just as crippling as over confidence and I think there is lots for all of us to think about in threads like this.

But what do I know, I don't have a vessel in my profile and it's unknown if I'm married or not.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote