What's your next, immediate voyage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not aboard

My next adventure is, alas, not aboard. But it will be quite the adventure. With two friends (wife is happy they are both med doctors) I leave Friday for Spain to hike 260 miles of the Camino de Santiago over 18 days :banghead::banghead:. Several yrs ago one of these guys and I were hiking in the Wind River Range in WY where we met a guy, high in rough territory, hiking with polio braces on legs and arms. A while after we met him and hiked on we looked at each other and vowed that as long as we could walk we would continue with these hiking trips. Next year it's the John Muir trail in the Sierra Nevada's. Oh yeah, I turn 60 on this trip and my buddy is 63. Stay calm and hike on!:)

Last edited:
Really cool, FC! I hope you post up a report of your Camino hike when you return. Safe travels and Godspeed.

Great! I'll be reading along as you walk. Not a single photo up and already you've got 98 visits to your blog!

Leaving Cypremort Point in Vermilion Bay and heading on the ICW west next Thursday. Crew of three. Would like to visit Dimer2 in Kemah, Tx. But only have 4 days for the round trip as one of the crew still works. Not in a hurry, just want to sit back and relax and watch the marsh go by at 6 to 7 knots.

ddalme, if you don't make Kemah, try for Beaumont Yacht club. You will have a ball and meet some fine folk. We will drive up and meet you there. We will also firm up plans for stopping at your camp in November on the way to the Bahamas, You can also settle your debt of $10.15 ($10.00 plus 6 months interest :) ) which I am sure has been keeping you up nights.

ddalme, if you don't make Kemah, try for Beaumont Yacht club. You will have a ball and meet some fine folk. We will drive up and meet you there. We will also firm up plans for stopping at your camp in November on the way to the Bahamas, You can also settle your debt of $10.15 ($10.00 plus 6 months interest :) ) which I am sure has been keeping you up nights.
I'll contact you and give you an update on our progress along the way. AND- I'm not forgetting my debt. It has been bugging me that I can get over there to settle up.

Well, our next changed. Look at East Coast forecasts from Atlantic City to Hatteras for the next few days. So we're going to head for calmer ground, or water actually. Atlantic City was cancelled from our plans. Delaware and Chesapeake points to be determined. All plans are written in easily changed type.

Guess we spoke too soon our last time out about 1' seas around Cape Cod. Well, Long Island Sound, East River and NYC were calm.

Last edited:
My next cruise will be next week, heading again to Monaco with close American friends from Northern California who will be visiting me. They never been there yet.

My next cruise will be next week, heading again to Monaco with close American friends from Northern California who will be visiting me. They never been there yet.

That's one of the joys of boating for us, introducing others to places they've never been. It also helps us see each of those places fresh and anew and in a bright and different light.

Baobab (and Sprig, the dinghy), will be leaving Houston the end of this month, will stop in Beaumont for October , to build a hardtop and then meander over to Florida, spending Christmas in the keys before wintering in the Bahamas. Ain't life grand!!

Baobab (and Sprig, the dinghy), will be leaving Houston the end of this month, will stop in Beaumont for October , to build a hardtop and then meander over to Florida, spending Christmas in the keys before wintering in the Bahamas. Ain't life grand!!

If you've never spent New Year's Eve in Key West, it's quite an experience. Then head to the Bahamas immediately thereafter for some more peaceful and quiet enjoyment.

We have two trips coming up in the next 10 days.

The first will be a day trip up through Ice Harbor Lock on the Snake River. It's the second highest lift lock in the US at an average lift of 105'. We're taking a couple we've never met but I've "known" him for several years on another boating forum. They're from Oklahoma City and are taking a PNW vacation. They're flying to Seattle, picking up a rental motorhome then driving here. After our day trip, the next morning they'll leave for Glacier Park, Yellowstone and Grand Teton.

The second trip will be a weekend trip up the Snake River with our club. We do two cruises up there to Fishhook Park each year, one before the park opens in the spring and one after it closes in the fall. We'll be going up Friday morning and coming back on Sunday afternoon.

That's one of the joys of boating for us, introducing others to places they've never been. It also helps us see each of those places fresh and anew and in a bright and different light.

I agree with you, and thank you for your comment.

Sunsets in Key West are stunning !

%!^^$&%$&^*^&*%$^

Wifey B: Timing.....damn we've been lucky in the past.....but revenge has taken place. Last night was a very sad night to see the Warriors lose. However, what makes this worse is where we pulled into yesterday. The Mistake by the Lake. Of all places to be last night and today. No, we're not wearing Golden State gear as we value our lives. The only possible worse time we could have chosen to be here would have been July 18. We didn't even think of it until we were watching the game last night. Suddenly it hit us where we were. :banghead::banghead::banghead: :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::horse::horse::devil::devil::devil::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Well, payback I guess. We lucked into Panama City for Carnival and then into Jamaica for an Easter celebration and both of those were just luck of the calendar.

One good thing. Seeing happy people today, although some very very very very very hung over ones too.

Damn. Cleveland. NBA Champions. That is soooooooooooooooo very wrong. :hide:

Well since we have no home base, we are continually voyaging I guess. Right now we are enrout from St Michaels to Solomon's for some engine work. Then moving down to Hampton for annual Dr work. After that will probably head back up the Bay for the 4th. Eventually the days will get short and cool so it will be time to head back to FL.

Next one will be a short one. Our club is heading down the Columbia about 40 miles to Umatilla, OR for their Umatilla Days Festival. It's an annual trip for our club and a lot of fun. There usually are about 10 boats that participate.

We'll leave about 0830 Friday and head down to McNary Dam and Lock. After locking through it's just a short few miles to Umatilla. They have a yacht club there that fixes a dinner and a breakfast for us, and we reciprocate by fixing dinner one night.

Saturday night there's a nice fireworks show right on the breakwater in front of the marina. Nice folks down there, the weather looks like it will cooperate and it should be fun. Pictures will be posted.

Since you asked, Day 85 and we are just about to turn around and head south.
This year we wanted to focus on Canada and boy have we enjoyed it. Met up with a few TF folks and yesterday met up with Murray here in Kitimak. A real nice guy who went out of his way on Father's Day to meet up and even gave us a ride into the big city! Hope we can meet up this afternoon so's he can give us a tour of his boat. Murray said we were the first TF member to show up here in Kitimak by boat, kinda doubt it as I'm sure others have trekked up here. Thanks Al (Ketchikan)for letting Murray know we were coming.
Almost on the 54th parallel, and now we take a few routes south that we missed coming up.
Cheers.....

Late this week or the next, I'll be taking the boat, most likely single-handed, from the boat yard in Richmond to home berth in Vallejo after receiving annual maintenance and repair. It's about a four-hour voyage.

My next planned voyage will be to no where or anywhere. Absolutely no set schedule or agenda. Just gunk holing around wherever the bow pennant leads. My kind of cruise.

My next planned voyage will be to no where or anywhere. Absolutely no set schedule or agenda. Just gunk holing around wherever the bow pennant leads. My kind of cruise.

Have you determined the direction you'll start with?

Have you determined the direction you'll start with?

Not really. Could go North stopping in at Vero Beach to grab a mooring, or maybe South to Peck Lake to drop the Sarca. Probably a couple of days at either then determine where to next. I like FTL, but probably won't do the 100 mile offshore thing. So, maybe Stuart. We'll see. Kinda like this . . . . . .

One of my grandsons is home from college this summer. Tomorrow the two of us are taking the camper up into the Cherokee National Forest for 3 days. Next summer he is doing an internship in British Columbia before starting graduate school. This will probably be my last time to spend time alone with him for quite awhile. He is more the world's than ours now.

Last edited:
Not really. Could go North stopping in at Vero Beach to grab a mooring, or maybe South to Peck Lake to drop the Sarca. Probably a couple of days at either then determine where to next. I like FTL, but probably won't do the 100 mile offshore thing. So, maybe Stuart. We'll see. Kinda like this . . . . . .
]

We do that sometimes on day trips or trips for two or three days with just the two of us. Normally we cruise with more. We normally decide where then the night before and it might end up being Bimini or Nassau or Key West or as far north as Daytona Beach. One of our best trips was lunch in Fort Pierce and then on to Hammock Beach in Palm Coast, just a random place we'd never stopped. We had a great time there.

We do that sometimes on day trips or trips for two or three days with just the two of us. Normally we cruise with more. We normally decide where then the night before and it might end up being Bimini or Nassau or Key West or as far north as Daytona Beach. One of our best trips was lunch in Fort Pierce and then on to Hammock Beach in Palm Coast, just a random place we'd never stopped. We had a great time there.

Fort Pierce is a great cruising stop, but the boat is already there. We do enjoy it. We are just a couple of hours from the Little Bahama Bank. But another 3 1/2 to 4 hours to good cruising in the Abacos. It's going to be tough to leave Fort Pierce.

Thanks Al (Ketchikan)for letting Murray know we were coming.
Almost on the 54th parallel, and now we take a few routes south that we missed coming up.
Cheers.....

You are welcome Chief, My wife and I found Murray and his wife to be as charming a couple as one would want to meet. I know it was special to have the opportunity to meet you and your crew. He shares a beautiful part of the country and is proud to share the experience.
Safe voyage back down to the lower 48.

Currently involved with Tom and Kay on the 'Alaska Sea-duction' they are in route with a stop here. Special times!

Al-Ketchikan-Marben 27' pocket CRUISER

Depends on the weather in Sacramento.

If it's cool or a bit warm, I head to the mouth of the Napa River/Mare Island Strait and hang a left to the warmer, fresh waters of the CA Delta. Countless gunkhole opportunities in the waters of the various rivers and sloughs.

If it's hot, I hang a right to cooler climes by 20-25*F in the SF Bay. Less anchoring, more marinas and a more urban environment...with the exception of Angel Island which is natural, historic and peaceful on moorings.

It's nice to have choices.

Had planned to head west on the icw in July-no destination or time frame-Pick up my brother in Lake Charles and hang out cruising at 7knts for a week west and turn around and head back home. Plans put on hold-trying to get my workshop rebuilt after fire. Hope to be finished before July. :banghead: Then I can shop for replacement tools to fill it up.:):)

Back
Top Bottom