Trawler or Cruiser?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wanderin Star

Veteran Member
Since I'm new to this forum, I need some nomenclature clarification, please. In checking classified for "Trawlers" I find many cruisers among what I had in my mind as a trawler, but when I enter cruisers I don't see Trawlers. Is there a specific classification of each. Can a cruiser have a pilot house and can a trawler have a flying bridge, etc? Is there a definitive difference in what makes each? Thanks in advance for any help.

Some purists have a narrow definition of what is considered a trawler. But popular vernacular is very broad and lots of boats are called trawlers. So there is no standard definition. What you think of as a trawler may not be what others think.

If you are using Yachtworld criteria, I would select cruiser, trawler, downeast, and pilothouse catagories and that will probably cover most boats that TF members own. Or select the catagories that return boats that you like.

David

Oh, and don't forget "fishing boat" for ........ you know who's sake. :thumb:

Be careful what terms you use on this site. Saying "trawler" in a generic or colloquial way is akin to saying you are going to "xerox" a document and affix it to the "wall" of your boat, or blow your nose with "kleenex" on the "flybridge".

:socool:

Of course, mostly I jest. For I find myself correcting other boater's incorrect use of nautical vocabulary on occasion...

Be careful what terms you use on this site. Saying "trawler" in a generic or colloquial way is akin to saying you are going to "xerox" a document and affix it to the "wall" of your boat, or blow your nose with "kleenex" on the "flybridge".

:socool:

Of course, mostly I jest. For I find myself correcting other boater's incorrect use of nautical vocabulary on occasion...

You may choose to blow your nose in the "salon"!!!

Do you want a boat that doesn't exceed hull speed (trawler/heavy-cruiser) or one that does (fast cruiser). Most people (not me) prefer the second option. Regardless, get the boat that fits your needs, and as long as it has berths, kitchen/dining, and bathroom facilities, you'll "qualify."

Greetings,
Mr. mp. "Ah! Yes, saloon. where one imbibes and doesn't get one's hair or nails done." Exactly! Thank you. One could also enjoy a cheroot and discuss manly things such as Admiral Byrd's latest forays into the antarctic nether regions...

so many opinions on this but at least we all agree on anchors and anchoring

For the same reason, if you were shopping for a sports car, you would probably get ads from guys trying to sell their Volvo. Marketing.

Alan, you said the A word. You know we don't use the A word on this forum.

What will come up on a Yachtworld, or other sales site, are the tags that the seller/broker has added to the listing. It does not necessarily reflect what the boat is.

If the broker wants to put a trawler tag on a 10' RIB he can, and it will come up in a search for trawlers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom