Old 09-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #36
markpierce
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
So where you boat commercial ships sound a signal that has no meaning in the situation described here!? I don't understand why they would open themselves up to that liability when it would be just as easy to sound the correct signal.

So, what's wrong with a prolonged signal, signifying "here I am" especially when the other boat doesn't act like it is aware of your presence? Many/most boaters aren't aware of the meaning of specific sound signals, so it's often best to just let them know you're there. I presume boaters are clueless/ignorant until they otherwise demonstrate competence/awareness. So far, this belief has kept me from a collision. No doubt you're aware of my preference for a loud horn, exceeding minimal requirements.

About the only sound signal I've heard on ships (something like 200 days on board over a dozen years) is the prolonged signal. Rarely three shorts for going in reverse leaving a dock and no signals for right/left turns or multiple shorts signifying "danger/confusion."