What is all the chatter about new anchors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I have recently heard a lot of chatter about all these new anchor designs. New shapes and materials. But when you get right down to it, is there really a better anchor than a Rocna?????

Oh no! Not again! Ground Hog Day, anchor version?

oh no! Not again! Ground hog day, anchor version?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442704671.545197.jpg

Did someone pay you to ask that?!?

:banghead:

My Fortress FX11 is the best anchor ever. All other anchors are useless and stupid. I fart in the general direction of anyone who has anything else. :hide:

My Fortress FX11 is the best anchor ever. All other anchors are useless and stupid. I fart in the general direction of anyone who has anything else. :hide:

DUDE!!!!! That is hilarious!!!!!

A search of past topics will reveal a plethora of discussions on the same. Nothing new since our last 15 debates.

Great line, Wayfarer.

That's a fair question. On our pier we have a 35 ish sailboat with a fresh Rocna. 88# I think?? I spoke to him the other day for the first time. I didn't mention to him that he was obviously over anchored. Cause I'm certainly no authority have recently endangered my wife and some guests when my fairly fresh/ untried 40# Delta drug well over a 1/4 mile in a thunderstorm with 60 mph gusts. Thankfully from the south- as we were anchored on the North side of the island.
So today I tied (30' chain attached to an ugly swivel that I hand spliced into s 5/8 line) on my "came with the boat" well used Fortress 37. I discussed this a little while back- for help on pulpit options. We anchored at Ship again on a calm day and watched pods of dolphins for several hours. On about a 4-1 scope she hooked up fine when we backed down- and did fine all day.
This got me to wandering- since the Delta is outa here- why not set up a new/ second Fortress 37 on all chain as my primary anchor?? Simple/ easy/ light/ adaptable to an electric windless when the time comes?? Hmmm

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I have recently heard a lot of chatter about all these new anchor designs. New shapes and materials. But when you get right down to it, is there really a better anchor than a Rocna?????

Possibly, but maybe not by much. After all, the Rocna IS one of the new anchor designs you allude to.

Mischief? Rocna promotion? Both?
It`s a well ploughed field. Do tell us about all the chatter,all the new designs,all the new shapes and all the new materials,so we are equally and fully informed for this discussion.

I think I am being set up

Attachments

• anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 78
Forky wrote;
"This got me to wandering- since the Delta is outa here- why not set up a new/ second Fortress 37 on all chain as my primary anchor?? Simple/ easy/ light/ adaptable to an electric windless when the time comes?? Hmmm"

Where would you mount the second anchor and how would you launch and retrieve them? Would this be any advantage to one bigger Fortress?

That's a fair question. On our pier we have a 35 ish sailboat with a fresh Rocna. 88# I think?? I spoke to him the other day for the first time. I didn't mention to him that he was obviously over anchored. Cause I'm certainly no authority have recently endangered my wife and some guests when my fairly fresh/ untried 40# Delta drug well over a 1/4 mile in a thunderstorm with 60 mph gusts. Thankfully from the south- as we were anchored on the North side of the island.
So today I tied (30' chain attached to an ugly swivel that I hand spliced into s 5/8 line) on my "came with the boat" well used Fortress 37. I discussed this a little while back- for help on pulpit options. We anchored at Ship again on a calm day and watched pods of dolphins for several hours. On about a 4-1 scope she hooked up fine when we backed down- and did fine all day.
This got me to wandering- since the Delta is outa here- why not set up a new/ second Fortress 37 on all chain as my primary anchor?? Simple/ easy/ light/ adaptable to an electric windless when the time comes?? Hmmm

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I always thought that having two anchors on your bow should come with two windlass. I know that with the horizontal shaft windlass you can retrieve two rodes. But with the vertical shaft windlass it would be so handy to have one for each anchor.

EVERYBODY ON THIS FORUM NEEDS A BIGGER ANCHOR!!!!
Shouts the guy who sells anchors.

When does the Rocna patent expire so we can get inexpensive knock-offs? Can't see spending $500-$2000 for a new anchor when the present one works just fine.

If it works fine then no issue, but my Delta didn't and that's dangerous for crew and those around. I went back to my Fortress 37.
Eric- I'm not sure how to mount two- but I started a post a month or so back about how to stow one Fortress. I got some great ideas and suggestions. Maybe someone aboard has this figured out. Heck. These things are so light maybe I just hang them from the rail??
This is my current set up ;)
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442809567.789427.jpg

So it's fair to say there's no where to go but up!

My ground tackle approach will have a fairly tight budget- as in $0 currently as I resolve some AC issues.
So- basically I have a lunch hook, 30' of proper chain along with the 200' or so of 5/8 line for a rode, along with my original mechanical windlass which still works fine. And given the sandy/ muddy conditions that we will probably be anchoring in for the next several years (sorry Eric, looks like no visit anytime soon- P seems to have moved on to other agendas;))- this will work fine for day stuff.

I would actually like to set up all chain/ salt water wash down/ and the next size UP for my primary hook, I'm just scared I might cause some bad Karma- given the reputation the Fortress 37 seems to be developing :).

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

When does the Rocna patent expire so we can get inexpensive knock-offs? Can't see spending $500-$2000 for a new anchor when the present one works just fine.

Mark, Mark, Mark...don't tell me doubts about your Bruce are beginning to creep in..? :whistling: :D

"When does the Rocna patent expire so we can get inexpensive knock-offs?"

Knock offs frequently only LOOK like the origional.

A real CQR is forged, the Chinese copy cast from scrap iron.

A knock off is good way to sell your boat to the insurance company.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom