New Canvas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even the Sailrite struggled at times for me. But by rotating the wheel by hand I got thru everything.

CrustyChief... take look at the optional flywheels for the LSZ-1 - I added the monster wheel to my LS-1 and really like the ability to start slow and still have the power.

Forklift...
Check out the Sailrite How To Videos - they have one for hatch covers. I've viewed and used it with good results.

FYI I just posted a DIY Canvas How To thread to get the ball rolling

Great work looks great!!!

Siestawife bought the sailrite machaine last year and has done some amazing projects so far

We just bought another 800 bucks worth of dryfast foam for the next projects

This is great! I have watched a few of the Sail-Rite videos and have been bitten by the bug to sew. I watch with great interest.

Very nice. We have the same machine with the monster wheel. We bought it to make a bimini for our sailboat. With the Sailright videos and their frame kits, we built the whole thing from scratch. The price for the whole project including the machine was just under what it would have cost to farm it out, but we figured after that the machine was paid for. no sewing experience except for making a pillow in school once (we all had to take home economics in junior high). The videos were a great help. The hardest part was the layout. Mistakes were no problem with the seam ripper (just take out the stitches and start over). I wish we had a place to do all the work at our marina. It took many trips back and forth from home to the boat over the winter to get everything just right. Highly recommend going this route to anyone who has the time and inclination.

I wish some of you seamstresses/seamsters lived closer to me. I have LOTS of beer to share.

That's one skill I never learned and never thought I'd enjoy. Maybe I ought to take another look at it.

Nice work CC. I'm impressed mate.

Do you like the LZ1..?

Matt-
I was pretty surprised at how well the LZ1 sewed. One of the neat features of the LZ1 is the ability to move the Needle bar left, right or center. The LS1 dosent do this, I don't think. This makes sewing the zippers, taping and seams a bit easier. The only thing I wish they would change on the Sailrite machine is figure out a way to increase the height of the pressure foot while its up, it's pretty tight when your trying to get a zipper and several layers of material all lined up. I'm kinda old school, meaning I used the commercial Singers, Consew and Phaff machines back in the day. The problem with those machines, they take up a lot of room with the table, big motor and overall weight.
You have built a nice table to drop yours in and still maintain the compactness when you need it. I'm just too far from the boat for that to work for me.
You'll find its a lot easier to move material around when the table and machine bed are the same height. Also, if you have another table that can adjust to the same height of the table that holds the machine put it next to the fixed table at a 90 degree on the left side, this will help you a lot on big pieces of material your working on. Don has a pretty sweet set up, he posted pics on the Tips and Tricks side.
Have fun and good luck on your canvas project.

Bought a used LS1 to repair our cockpit cover. Once I got it set up, it was fun. Looks like I'll be redoing all our bridge windows as well. Sailrite folks are really nice to deal with; lots of patience with newbie/beginners.

Looks like I'll be redoing all our bridge windows as well.

chc
Are you remaking the complete window sections or replacing clear vinyl in the existing?

Greetings all.
After getting sidelined for a bit I'm hoping to get back to tackling sewing window shades for the side windows on the house. I have attempted in the last few days to get the old Singer strung up and working. I purchased a #19 needle and had already purchased my other supplies including Sunbrella thread.
I'm not having much luck sewing on my "practice" material- primarily the thread seems to be twisting or shredding at the needle. I removed the plate the needle pushes through above the bobbin shuttle today and polished some jagged areas caused by needle damage. This helped the shredding- but I'm still getting twisting in the thread I can't figure out. Any suggestions??

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466127380.029427.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466127393.036209.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466127407.441883.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466127419.862148.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I had the same problem when I first got my LS1. After much frustration, I finally got out the quick reference card (with pictures) and discovered I had missed one step in threading the machine properly. Corrected that, tightened up the tension and all is well.

Reading the reference manuals before I jump into a project isn't my strong suit. It's a guy thing! :facepalm:

Edelweiss,
I wondered if this could be an issue. I have a book that was in the case but is for a slightly different model and so it routes differently as well. I'm also wondering if the large spool of thread is designed to "unwind" from the top or by spinning??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Edelweiss,
I'm also wondering if the large spool of thread is designed to "unwind" from the top or by spinning??
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Yes that is most likely your problem. The thread is unwinding and twisting as it feeds, try making a stand with a dowel so you can unwind the thread without twisting. The stronger thread will have a tight twist to it by design, much more so than your normal cotton/ polyester. Try using normal thread and see if you get the same reaction, if not then play with how the sunbrella thread unwinds.
Good luck

Edelweiss,
I wondered if this could be an issue. I have a book that was in the case but is for a slightly different model and so it routes differently as well. I'm also wondering if the large spool of thread is designed to "unwind" from the top or by spinning??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Lg spools are indeed meant tofeed from the top...fabric store should have a stand or you can make one from a board a dowel and some stiff wire or better thin rod

Edelweiss,

Yes, From the top. Also I don't see any tension on the thread going into the tensioner. That doesn't seem right. The thread that's balling up looks like needle thread, not bobbin thread, right? If so it's probably a tensioning issue.

I realize this is a Singer and not an LS1. But on the LS1, the thread going to the tensioner doesn't just pass through the chrome bar above the tensioner, it wraps around it one complete turn and then down into the tensioner. You definitely need the manufactures threading directions to get this right.

Attachments

• sewing machine2 .jpg
    sewing machine2 .jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Where do you purchase supplies?
Thanks!

Depends on what...
Machine accys etc Sailrite has a lot
I get most of my fabrics & binding from Rochford.com...good selection & service...
Check their 2nds & close outs for some bargains.

I no longer have my old Singer but it seems like there was a metal loop before the tensioner and the bar w a hole after...that goes up...down...before the needle.
Google Singer threading you may find some pics

Great info all. I'll work on the suggestions and update-

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom