Fort Lauderdale area slip for November

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capecodder

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Her Shine. Newburyport
Hello TFers,

I started to search for a slip in/Fort Lauderdale for the last week of October till end of November. Wow lots of options! Well maybe too many options But some thing about a Boat Show :rolleyes:

My brother is attending a three week class at Maritime Professional Training, it's close to Port Everglades and the Airport. We will have a car. Needs; availability for a 37' plus dinghy 13.5 beam 3.6 draft, prefer port side tie, parking for one car, safe slip, an Ok Walking neighborhood and I'm a Trawler guy not a Mega Yacht owners so price is important.

Any hints?

Thank you,
If this is the wrong spot please move or delete post...

Things become very difficult as all those with boats regularly at Bahia Mar have to move out for the show. They quickly eat up slips and all the docks rented behind homes. There's not going to be any price flexibility. I know last year Lighthouse Point had some availability. If your boat can get to them some of the marinas deep in the Dania Cut might have availability. I almost said "You have nothing to lose with Craigslist." Well, one caveat. Be very careful to be sure the person renting you the space actually owns it or has that right and isn't just picking a dock behind a vacant home.

Royale Palm Yacht Basin and Harboure Towne.

Royale Palm Yacht Basin and Harboure Towne.

They have available November slips? I figured those two would be full. Then they're where I would turn as they're moderately priced, quite convenient.

Hello TFers,

I started to search for a slip in/Fort Lauderdale for the last week of October till end of November. Wow lots of options! Well maybe too many options But some thing about a Boat Show :rolleyes:

My brother is attending a three week class at Maritime Professional Training, it's close to Port Everglades and the Airport. We will have a car. Needs; availability for a 37' plus dinghy 13.5 beam 3.6 draft, prefer port side tie, parking for one car, safe slip, an Ok Walking neighborhood and I'm a Trawler guy not a Mega Yacht owners so price is important.

Any hints?

Thank you,
If this is the wrong spot please move or delete post...

PM me and I'll give the name and number of a couple guys to call who have access to slips.

They have available November slips? I figured those two would be full. Then they're where I would turn as they're moderately priced, quite convenient.

I'd check with the office but I'm pretty sure there are slips. They do fill up but there are always free slips.

It will probably make a difference if you are planning on liveaboard. FT Laud regs are that if liveaboard you MUST be connected to pumpout at all times. As mentioned above, both Lighthouse Pt and Royle Palm do accommodate, others may not. Might want to check requirements before committing or if a month is just considered "extended transient, LOL and not held to that rule.

Last edited:
It will probably make a difference if you are planning on liveaboard. FT Laud regs are that if liveaboard you MUST be connected to pumpout at all times.

Can you site that regulation? I know of a number of places with live aboards and I don't recall seeing any of them hooked directly up to any kind of pump out.

In May 1997, the City adopted Ordinance C-97-11
requiring that vessels, where habitation is occurring, be connected to a marine sanitation system.
The ordinance also requires all vessels to be connected to a marine sanitation system when certain water quality standards have not been met...

After the Florida code was changed in 2009, there are many older municipal ordinances, that are now deemed illegal, still on the books. There is no incentive by local governments to pay legal staff to search for such regulation and change it, hence it's up them whether they want to try and enforce it or not.

It's not illegal to have the ordinance on the books, it's illegal to enforce it.

Ok, interpretation of the law. A holding tank where pumpout is available as needed, is considered to be a marine sanitation system. It is allowable at marinas in Fort Lauderdale as long as direct discharge is prevented/locked out.

A marine sanitation device is "any equipment for installation on board a vessel which is designed to receive, retain, treat, or discharge sewage, and any process to treat such sewage."

Now on board type II treatment systems are allowed in certain areas.

That makes way more sense then saying the boat has to be directly hooked to a pump out system 24/7.

Here is from City of Fort Lauderdale's website:

In May 1997, the City adopted Ordinance C-97-11 requiring that vessels, where
habitation is occurring, be connected to a marine sanitation system. The ordinance
also requires all vessels to be connected to a marine sanitation system when certain
water quality standards have not been met. Habitation aboard a floating vessel
means overnight occupation of it by one or more persons, while the vessel is
moored, docked or anchored in any of the public waterways within the City.
Habitable vessel means a vessel that has a fitting that allows for the overboard
discharge of wastewater from a toilet facility.
This ordinance requires that all habitable vessels be connected at all times to a
marine sanitation system when water quality test (s), taken adjacent to any real
property located in certain zoning districts, exceed the fecal coliform density level. If
test results, in accordance with the City’s testing protocol, exceed an acceptable
level, the property owner will require the vessel(s) be connected to a marine
sanitation system while moored or docked at the property.
http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/documents/compplan/compplan_vol2_coastal.pdf see page 12

My interpretation of that Ordinance is that you must be connected to an onboard marine sanitation system (Type I, II or II) as opposed to an overboard discharge. Not that you must be connected to an onshore system.

Here is from City of Fort Lauderdale's website:

In May 1997, the City adopted Ordinance C-97-11 requiring that vessels, where
habitation is occurring, be connected to a marine sanitation system. The ordinance
also requires all vessels to be connected to a marine sanitation system when certain
water quality standards have not been met. Habitation aboard a floating vessel
means overnight occupation of it by one or more persons, while the vessel is
moored, docked or anchored in any of the public waterways within the City.
Habitable vessel means a vessel that has a fitting that allows for the overboard
discharge of wastewater from a toilet facility.
This ordinance requires that all habitable vessels be connected at all times to a
marine sanitation system when water quality test (s), taken adjacent to any real
property located in certain zoning districts, exceed the fecal coliform density level. If
test results, in accordance with the City’s testing protocol, exceed an acceptable
level, the property owner will require the vessel(s) be connected to a marine
sanitation system while moored or docked at the property.
http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/documents/compplan/compplan_vol2_coastal.pdf see page 12

As I said above and I've read the ordinance but I'm aware of the intent and the interpretation in place, a holding tank meets the requirement. There are no direct hook ups to sewage systems, there is no law requiring them, this is a non issue unless you have no holding tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom