October "Power & Motoryacht Magazine"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
Does anyone else get PMY? A couple of interesting features in "The Cruising Issue" - one with Tony Fleming in the Aleutians and another about a couple how are living aboard and cruising on a Nordhavn 40 in the PNW.

The Nordhavn cruiser had a lot of good advice - a lot of which has been mentioned on TF previously. "To the extent you're considering living aboard while cruising, get the smallest boat that you can comfortably live on and manage". I sure wish the member with a $200K-$300K budget for a single-handed long distance cruiser who's now considering a 57' McKinna for $385K gets a chance to read that and soak in those lessons.

But my favorite article was "Majestic Triumph" (I can't find it on their site) - where the editors of PMY named "the 25 prettiest boats".

Some of them were obvious - "Aphrodite", a Trumpy 58, the Hinckley 36 Picnic Boat, Huckins Atlantic 44, Riva Aquarama...awesome boats.

What I noticed was that there were no "trawlers". The closest was a GB EastBay 54. Aren't there any pretty trawlers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to mention the Sabre 48 made the list.:whistling:

Yes - and an Abaco 40 (which I wasn't familiar with) and Palm Beach 55. A new style of boat that look a lot like...the Huckins Atlantic.

But the Bertram 31 pretty? I think they missed on that one. Iconic, transforming, sure - but not pretty.

But no GB 42?

Keith

Oh Keith, I have to disagree. The Bertram 31 has a perfect shearline. Beautiful boat.

31 Bert is one of the best looking boats, ever. Love the sway to the hull.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 85
31 Bert is one of the best looking boats, ever. Love the sway to the hull.
+1:thumb::thumb::thumb:

My brother has one and it attracts admirers everywhere it goes! While I might agree with Keith that it is not 'pretty', I've seen very few boats with more universal appeal. IMO it is the very definition of a classic boat design.

Prettiest Boats of All Time

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with probably half of the list. What's that Donzi doing in there?? Maybe the Bertram looks better in person, but that picture doesn't do anything for me...

Donzi

The caption says Donzi 28 but it looks like a "Sweet 16".

poling,
Says Donzi right on it.
Nix the Regulator, the Jupiter, the Donzi and several others are questionable.

My "Sweet" Classic 18...

Attachments

• P8190016.jpg
    P8190016.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 64
  • PB130001.jpg
    PB130001.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 66
"To the extent you're considering living aboard while cruising, get the smallest boat that you can comfortably live on and manage".

The late Skipper Bob actually coined that or at least made it famous. I added the emphasis on "you'.

For those of you who enjoy great looking classics, many on the smaller side, there is a fun and long running thread on The Hull Truth :

Show your old school vessel!!! - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

No, Bob of Bob and Elaine Reib, authors of the Skipper Bob guide books and "Cruising Comfortably on a Budget"
Ah, didn't know him. Sorry to hear anyone's gone, but very glad to that Dr Bob is still going strong (he was at Lake Powell with the C-Brats a couple of weeks ago). He was a significant contributor on previous incarnations of this forum.

Ah, didn't know him. Sorry to hear anyone's gone, but very glad to that Dr Bob is still going strong (he was at Lake Powell with the C-Brats a couple of weeks ago). He was a significant contributor on previous incarnations of this forum.

He still posts on THT under the moniker "thataway'.

The late Skipper Bob actually coined that or at least made it famous.

True, and it is so appropriate that you mention Skipper Bob while we're talking about the sweet sixteen most beautiful boats, cuz if Skipper Bob was anything, he was an authority on beautiful boats. I recall that he chose the ultimate beauty for his own Skipper Bob Adventures, the very boat that traveled throughout the US while he wrote his famous cruising books. Care to guess what model boat that was?:whistling::hide:

That's a fact!! Came in at 12 of 15. Just 2 places behind this beaut!

010_prettiest-boats_600w.jpg

...and ahead of this one.

013_prettiest-boats_600w.jpg

But I gotta admit, this is a real beautiful vessel!!

012_prettiest-boats_600w.jpg

I guess it's official! I propose that unless someone else can demonstrate ownership of a boat higher than #12 on this list, then you, Mr. Moonie, must have the prettiest boat on Trawler Forum!!

The late Skipper Bob actually coined that or at least made it famous. I added the emphasis on "you'.

Wifey: That's the big big big emphasis. Then on the other side are those who say the most boat you can afford and handle. I think that perhaps the real answer is between the two. Like compromise, like balance, like weighing the pros and cons.

Ultimately YOU need to listen to others but then make the right decision for yourself and your use.

For those of you who enjoy great looking classics, many on the smaller side, there is a fun and long running thread on The Hull Truth :

Show your old school vessel!!! - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

George,
Thanks for the link. Must be 200 boats on that thread. Many are just old boats but there's lots of gems in there that I haven't seen in years.
I see you are there too on page 9. In that pic I'm puzzled as I see no chain in your rode. Did you tie a bridal directly to the end of your rode?

True, and it is so appropriate that you mention Skipper Bob while we're talking about the sweet sixteen most beautiful boats, cuz if Skipper Bob was anything, he was an authority on beautiful boats. I recall that he chose the ultimate beauty for his own Skipper Bob Adventures, the very boat that traveled throughout the US while he wrote his famous cruising books. Care to guess what model boat that was?:whistling::hide:

Uh huh...

He himself admitted he bought Snug because his wife liked the room, and he always "had trouble getting past the lines."

They were going to buy a GH 37.

He had a good eye for past the "skin deep" though.

George,
Thanks for the link. Must be 200 boats on that thread. Many are just old boats but there's lots of gems in there that I haven't seen in years.
I see you are there too on page 9. In that pic I'm puzzled as I see no chain in your rode. Did you tie a bridal directly to the end of your rode?

No, that picture was taken when we were on a mooring with a double bridle; Westport Harbor, MA. You can see the float ball hanging off the port bow.

I like a lot of the boats on that thread for their very simple straightforward lines, which you see as a theme throughout.

The 31 is the boat Bertram made that made Bertram. It does have a compelling profile with that graceful sheer, forward deckhouse, and generous cockpit. Enough builders have attempted to imitate the 31 to prove that old saying about sincerity and flattery.

Anyway, I agree that it belongs on the list, and I sure as heck agree that any such list is incomplete without the 42' Grand Banks, a boat that's hard to look away from.

Back
Top Bottom