Pilothouse seat rail system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r-rossow

Vessel Name
Southern Promise MMSI 258170360
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 55 Mk1
I had a small mishap this summer in some nasty seas crossing the Bay of Biscay. The screws holding the helm seat loosened from the planking and I landed with the back of my head against the starboard aft corner of the pilothouse. *I was somewhat dizzy for a few seconds after that landing!
wink.gif

I am now looking at installing a rail system for the pilothouse seat. This will enable a sturdier mount and I will be able to push the seat all the way up front when docked to ease passage thru the pilothouse and push the seat back to have a meal at the pilothouse table while underway.
So far I have only found the Recaro Multirail System. Being a Recaro product, the price is $$$$$$. I got quoted the equivalent of 3000 Dollars over here for this.
Anyone know of more favourably priced stuff?

Attachments

• dscf0019.jpg
    dscf0019.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 131
  • dscf0018.jpg
    dscf0018.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 131
  • dsc08060.jpg
    dsc08060.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 126
  • dsc08063.jpg
    dsc08063.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 121
If the rail system proves too costly what about simply bolting the helm seat through the cabin sole to large fender washers or a backing plate under the sole?

I agree-* thru bolting may be the best way to go.* Just curious, did*the lags pull out without any warning or was there a little play (movement or looseness) prior to the failure?* JEP

Make that x3. I would through bolt that seat base with a backer plate installed too and save yourself several thousand dollars. Much easier than a rail system.

Nice looking pilothouse BTW!

As others have mentioned, through bolting with a backing plate is the way to go. When I put a new helm chair in my wheelhouse, I through bolted the base through a backing plate that spanned across the floor joists on either side of the helm base.

Ted

Getting a sturdier mount is just part of the reasoning for the rail system. Thru bolts with a BIG washer below decks will solve the mount problem.
The major reason for the rail is to either push the seat all the way up to the wheel or slide*all the way*the back*and have a meal while still being close to the wheel/engine controls.

Glad you were not seriously hurt, but looking at the four little lag screws, it's easy to see how they pulled out. There is a huge amount of leverage pulling on the screws with that long post. I wanted to through bolt our pilot house chair too, but directly below the pilot house is the master stateroom, and the headliner proved to be very difficult to remove without damaging it.* We ended up with a new seat base that has four legs that are quite wide.* 95% of the time it's great, and the remainder of the time I simply tie it down.* It's not as good as being through bolted, but it is easy to move when we need to.

By the way, when I wanted a new pilot house seat and looked at all the options, the costs we amazing.* I wanted a really comfortable seat with arm rests and adjust ability, and ended up finding a company that converts vans for handicapped folks.* The take new vans, rip out the seats and put in custom accessories for wheel chairs or what ever. As a result they usually have lots of new bucket seats.* I got one that was leather, the back reclines, it has two arm rests, and a cup holder.* The best part is it cost under $100! The only regret I have is that I cut off the seatbelt.* There have been days I wish I hadn't ..........................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

Glad you were not seriously hurt, but looking at the four little lag screws, it's easy to see how they pulled out. There is a huge amount of leverage pulling on the screws with that long post. I wanted to through bolt our pilot house chair too, but directly below the pilot house is the master stateroom, and the headliner proved to be very difficult to remove without damaging it.* We ended up with a new seat base that has four legs that are quite wide.* 95% of the time it's great, and the remainder of the time I simply tie it down.* It's not as good as being through bolted, but it is easy to move when we need to.

By the way, when I wanted a new pilot house seat and looked at all the options, the costs we amazing.* I wanted a really comfortable seat with arm rests and adjust ability, and ended up finding a company that converts vans for handicapped folks.* The take new vans, rip out the seats and put in custom accessories for wheel chairs or what ever. As a result they usually have lots of new bucket seats.* I got one that was leather, the back reclines, it has two arm rests, and a cup holder.* The best part is it cost under $100! The only regret I have is that I cut off the seatbelt.* There have been days I wish I hadn't ..........................Arctic Traveller
AT- mind posting a pic of your pilothouse helm seat? *I know the Stidd seats cost more than some cars I owned in the past!

Arctic Traveller wrote:I wanted a really comfortable seat with arm rests and adjust-ability, and ended up finding a company that converts vans for handicapped folks.* They take new vans, rip out the seats and put in custom accessories for wheel chairs or what ever. As a result they usually have lots of new bucket seats.

SeaHorse II wrote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:I wanted a really comfortable seat with arm rests and adjust-ability, and ended up finding a company that converts vans for handicapped folks.* They take new vans, rip out the seats and put in custom accessories for wheel chairs or what ever. As a result they usually have lots of new bucket seats.

Auto wrecking yards also have a real good selection of bucket seats, and any color or style you could want.

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 13th of January 2011 05:06:56 PM

I mounted both the salon and the pilot house tables to a piece of plywood that is stained and trimmed in teak to match décor so we can move around.* *The salon and pilot house are carpet so they do not move/slide around. Since our cruises are under 6 hours I have used the table to rest against and sit on.* If we need a helm chair that is what I plan on doing with the capability to bolt to the floor if necessary.*

Woodsong wrote:AT- mind posting a pic of your pilothouse helm seat? *I know the Stidd seats cost more than some cars I owned in the past!

Sorry, but I'm currently about 1000 miles from the boat, but imagine a minivan bucket seat.* Remove the sliding mechanism, bolt on a piece of aluminum plate or plywood to the bottom, and attach to your base.* Simple, effective, and cheap.................Arctic Traveller

Sailor of Fortune wrote:

Thats a fantastic idea Arctic Traveler! Please post info on company. The helm chair prices are astronomical.

It's been several years, but I just looked up handicap van conversion companies and called several and told them what I was looking for, new, leather, reclining, two arm rests, etc.* The one I went to was in Woodenvill Wa.* Cost was something like $120 a pair.

In addition, I was in an auto wrecking yard today looking for some parts for an RV, and they had a decent pair of captains chairs from a van conversion for $75 a pair. .............Arctic Traveller

Just saw this http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/2148266598.html-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Friday 14th of January 2011 01:11:08 AM[/size]

For post re mounting the power seats from Chryslers seem the easiest to install.

Back
Top Bottom