Supreme Wack Job

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More Rocnas than Supremes here but more Fortresses than Rocnas. 28 to 32' boats.
Marin I looked at the 32' GB on our float and I think it has quite a bit of flare and a finer entry than I had thought/remembered. Re the wet boat thing perhaps the nearly plumb stem enters into it? The "cutwater" is well fwd.

Eric looks like you gained another door stop till it gets welded back on.:D

It's Marin that uses perfectly good anchors as door stops .. not me.

And I have no intention of welding the RB back on. I have a better righting appendage. But won't be as strong as the roll bar. I was hoping I wouldn't need to use it.

It's Marin that uses perfectly good anchors as door stops .. not me.

And I have no intention of welding the RB back on. I have a better righting appendage. But won't be as strong as the roll bar. I was hoping I wouldn't need to use it.

Eric, there was a reason they didn't sell the Supreme with a removable bar, do you think they'd also put an inferiorly designed self roghting appendage? Just trying to save you're anchor from looking like some of the "art" in down town New River. (My SFL friends should get that one :) )

Anyways I wish you the best of luck with it.

I'm going to try it as is in better conditions before I go to the appendage .. and yes the appendage will look a bit like hippie art.

Eric-- None of the Ken Smith hulled GBs have much flare to the bow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 58
Trip lines are a delight , only need to be rigged at the start of the season and take care of themselves.

Only DANGER , yes it happened to me ,,, is someone will come after dark and use it as a mooring and pick it up and tie his vessel to the trip line.

WE use a small red ball, that is harder to hook , rather than something that looks like a pick up stick.

Eric-- None of the Ken Smith hulled GBs have much flare to the bow.

Marin,
You say they don't ... I say they do.
But my only reference is the 32GB on our float.
Looks to be average flare for a trawler.
Lots of older boats have much less flare than the 32.
Some fishing boats have almost none.

In your pic the hull's in shadow and the flare can't be seen. Haha one could say your boat has no flare at the stem. Where I saw significant flare on the 32 was 6 to 9 feet aft of the stem. The 32 is a woodie and I lust a little as I walk by. The owner has a Willard 40 for sale but he's made no mention of selling the 32.

Some grinding took off the roll bar.

When I bought the Supreme it was advertised as a 15lb anchor. It weighed 18lbs. Now it weighs 15lbs. The roll bar was heavier than I though it would be. As a result the CG is considerably lower. The only way one can make it drag is to stand it up vertical and tip it backwards away from the fluke. Very unlikely for the anchor to end up vertical and as soon as one started to back down it would be on it's side. Should work but then it's anchoring and surprises abound.

I have another modification planned that should take the place of the roll bar and force the anchor to orient itself properly. Very little weight and drag.

I want to try it as seen in the pics before further modification. I don't want to add stuff and then want to come back where I was before. I'm going to use the little cable as seen in the last pic to help w the penetration. If it won't penetrate deeper that the stock anchor w the roll bar then my mod is pointless.

View attachment 38021

View attachment 38022

View attachment 38023

View attachment 38024

View attachment 38025

I was going to revive the thread but there's too much BS on it. Even arguing w Marin. Didn't realize it was that old.

In about a week we'll be going on our first cruise in some time. I plan to use the modified Supreme much of the time especially on questionable bottoms. Want to see if my substitute for the roll bar can provide dependable setting.

I included this old post (second pic is best) to show how I've modified the anchor. The most recent mod was grinding (lots of grinding) the leading edge of the shank to a fairly sharp knife like shape. The whole philosophy of this anchor mod is to utilize a far less draggy substitute for the roll bar and streamline the parts to permit low drag through the bottom and deeper penetration. But it needs to set dependably. Will report back.

The other anchor (XYZ) has been modified again since it's last been seen so I included two pics (after and before).

Attachments

• DSCF2388 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF2388 copy 2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF2387 copy.jpg
    DSCF2387 copy.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF2389 copy.jpg
    DSCF2389 copy.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF2394 copy.jpg
    DSCF2394 copy.jpg